A/C rebuild and conversion nearing the end, but... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

regretful

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, it started out with a non-functioning a/c in my 86 60 which was caused by a leak at the high pressure connection at the condenser. The quotes I was getting for a recharge with R12 were ridiculous, so I decided to just replace the gaskets, and the dryer, drain the compressor, change the oil and get it recharged. And then... ordered a new denso condensor, pulled the lines, dropped the evaporator, (clean no leaks) which lead to pulling the fan and cleaning the stuff in it, and pulling the wiper assembly to clean the input, which lead to a trip to the salvage yard for the 4runner wiper blades, and finally sending the compressor to the local rebuilder, who did not ad PAG46.

Which brings me to these questions: I cannot for the life of me find in any of the threads here or on the net how much oil goes in the 6p148 compressor. How much? I'm assuming it is close to the 10p series which takes 100cc. If I've replaced the condenser and dryer and the compressor is empty, do you ad part of that 100cc to the dryer and condenser too? Denso has a graph showing percentages in various parts of the system.

I was going to have a local place vacuum and charge the system, but paying for the compressor and gauges will almost be the same.

mark

I'm surprised no one chimed in on this, i did look up during my lunch how much oil does the compressor hold it's between 2-3.4 oz and my rule of thumb is condenser can take about an ounce and half an ounce on the R/D the Evap can handle about an ounce also if big enough. Since you are going to switch to R134 you should take away about 20% of the original R-12 charge if there is a way you can get a hold of a vacuum pump and gauges i would vacuum it for about 5 hours then charge it. If you are using cans the first can will go quickly and try to slow down the charge when you start with the second can and check your gauge reading and vent temp. anything in the low 40's would be considered awesome by todays standard. Why didn't you just replace the compressor?

The compressor spun and didn't show any signs of major failure and looked as though it had some seals leaking, so just to be safe I had it rebuilt. The local shop replaced seals and bearings and charged $180 versus $290+ for a Denso re-manufactured one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom