A/C question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Just would like confirm my suspicions about my ac problem. The ac light is flashing and blowing hot air only, I got my wife to turn the ac on and off while I watched the compressor I can see when she turns it on it looks like it is trying to turn and the engine speed goes down and and then back up. At this time the ac light starts to flash. I am assuming that the compressor is seized and will need to be replaced, do my assumptions sound correct? Thanks for any advice.

Brian

Hi all,

Just would like confirm my suspicions about my ac problem. The ac light is flashing and blowing hot air only, I got my wife to turn the ac on and off while I watched the compressor I can see when she turns it on it looks like it is trying to turn and the engine speed goes down and and then back up. At this time the ac light starts to flash. I am assuming that the compressor is seized and will need to be replaced, do my assumptions sound correct? Thanks for any advice.

Brian

Any updates on this old thread? The A/C light on mine flashed today and blew warm air. I pushed the A/C button again and it cooled right back down. Is this a trouble code? I can't find anything in the manual for the A/C light flash.

For about a year my AC was blowing hot air but I never felt like getting it fixed cause I always drive with my windows down. Finally got sick of hot air (in 90+ degree heat) so I took in the truck to get a quick AC service. Turns out they had to put one pound of freon in one of the lines (obviously the one I didn't check). Cost somewhere around $150, but I feel y'alls pain with the hot air. It was always a pain and the females were the ones complaining, thus it had to be fixed.

For about a year my AC was blowing hot air but I never felt like getting it fixed cause I always drive with my windows down. Finally got sick of hot air (in 90+ degree heat) so I took in the truck to get a quick AC service. Turns out they had to put one pound of freon in one of the lines (obviously the one I didn't check). Cost somewhere around $150, but I feel y'alls pain with the hot air. It was always a pain and the females were the ones complaining, thus it had to be fixed.

When my AC went out last summer I gave my passengers one of these.

product_thumb.php

You must be creative when you have no AC in Hotlanta!

I've still got the flashing a/c light problem every now and then. It only happens when the outside temp is over 85 and the truck is not moving and sitting in the sun. If I'm moving it works just fine, same goes when idling in the shade. I am starting to suspect the factory electric fan. Does anybody know what sensor and relay controls the electric fan?

The pressure switch controls the electric fan. Pics and part numbers on several AC threads here.

I've still got the flashing a/c light problem every now and then. It only happens when the outside temp is over 85 and the truck is not moving and sitting in the sun. If I'm moving it works just fine, same goes when idling in the shade. I am starting to suspect the factory electric fan. Does anybody know what sensor and relay controls the electric fan?

My 1999 was exhibiting the flashing light symptom on Thursday, and a local mechanic diagnosed it Friday with a seized compressor. Said my clutch was in danger of burning up and said not to turn on the compressor/press the A/C switch until I could fix it. When it first acted up, I was able to turn it off and then turn it back on, and got cold air, but the next day, that no longer worked, and I heard a muffled squeal from under the hood momentarily before the light compressor I guess the clutch quit engaging, then silence and hot air, which prompted the trip to the mechanic.

Their price to install a new compressor was $1600. A used one, installed, would be $700. Installation was mentioned as $250 of each total. I called the nice guys at Coolstream AC, who apparently participate here on IH8MUD, and I got a brand-new Denso compressor, a new condensor/dryer combo, and overnight shipping for just over $620 total. Couldn't recommend them highly enough.

So now, should I tackle the job myself, or is this something best left to a professional? I certainly don't fabricate my own parts from unobtainium like some of the guys on here, but I know which way the wrenches turn, so if it isn't too tough, I may want to give it a shot this weekend. Otherwise, I'll hire a pro.

Could be your magnetic clutch relay. I work at a toyota dealer as an assistant service manager and have seen a fair number of magnetic clutch relays go bad. Mostly in camrys and a couple prius. The symptoms are the same ones decribed above

Could be your magnetic clutch relay. I work at a toyota dealer as an assistant service manager and have seen a fair number of magnetic clutch relays go bad. Mostly in camrys and a couple prius. The symptoms are the same ones decribed above

Too easy man. We're good to go. Thanks for the help! :beer: on me next time your in the Conch Republic.

Kudos for a sweet troubleshot!

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

It's flashing again...just not as often. After reading the other A/C thread, tried revving the engine while parked in the sun to see if engine speed had anything to do with it and it blew cold and did not flash as long as I sped up the engine a couple of 100 rpms.

Since the mechanical fan is behind the condenser and doesn't seem supplement the electric fan , I suspect my compressor or speed sensor is the likely culprit.

Could be any number of things, what's happening in the sight glass? The bubble profile is a good quick indicator for the charge level, particularly if you don't have access to a proper set of refrigeration gauges. There is a good write up of what to look for in the site gauge and the correct testing set up in the AC section of the FSM. Just takes a few minutes to check and costs nothing :).

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom