a/c problem! confused (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
sometime early this winter that just passed, i turned off the little a/c button that normally has a little green light on it. well now its summer and i pushed the button to turn it back on and the green light wont come on and it blows hot. im guessin that this button is for the a/c compressor? well anyway i bought a new button hoping that it would be the problem and it didn't fix it. anyone have any idea what the hell is wrong?

Summer? When did it get to be summer? It barely broke 40 degs here today.

Anyway, there's a lot of things that could be wrong. Is your fan on? The compressor won't engage without the fan in at least the lowest speed.

Could be you need a recharge. There's a safety switch in the system that the compressor won't turn on if there's not sufficient refridgerant in the system.

SO start with finding out if there is freon in there. hopfully there is, cause chances are you still have the original R12. And the problen will be somthing else KLF described. R12 is much more expensive than the modern R134a.
If its R12 and theres a leak your only option is to retro fit it. But you may be lucky if there is a shop in town that still services R12. Cause a shop that only deals with R134a cant hook up to the old R12 connectors and perform a vacuum test.

A vacuum test is the most efficient way of detecting a leak. Besides injecting UV dye in the system, the whole principal behind that is using the dye with a charged system so the dye leaks out of the source.

Did you ever check the fuse? or power to the switch?

i never checked the fuse, i have no idea where it is. and i also dont know where to check for power to the switch

fuse is above your left knee in the dash.

one wire is connected to the a/c compressor. when you turn on the switch there should be 12 volts.

take the new switch out and see if its got 12 to the switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom