? A/c oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hward1

87 fj60 / 95 fjz80
Threads
? Oil kinda hard to tell where this is from that cover has a drip it’s a thin oil pretty sure not antifreeze by the smell any ideas. Also my a/c isn’t cold and it started making a noise so I just stopped using it fan works normal a/c on makes a spinning hiss noise likes something is spinning metal on metal

674308BD-A957-4107-B069-A3A67E60ED3A.jpeg

? Oil kinda hard to tell where this is from that cover has a drip it’s a thin oil pretty sure not antifreeze by the smell any ideas. Also my a/c isn’t cold and it started making a noise so I just stopped using it fan works normal a/c on makes a spinning hiss noise likes something is spinning metal on metal

View attachment 2806488
That looks like green antifreeze, not oil.

Can't tell where the pic was taken, but touch it with a finger, smell it, taste it, rub it between your fingers to become familiar with it. Then do the same for all the other fluids in your vehicle in order to identify the problem in the dark on the side of the highway when it stops. This way you'll know what went wrong.

I'm not kidding.

maybe getting a pic thats zoom out a bit can help. ac oil is going to be pretty thin and clear, usually you wont see it just the dirt stain where the leak is. your probably looking at something else thats leaking like coolant or ps fluid

That appears to be on the fire wall, near where the down pipe leaves the manifold. That's right below the lines to the heater core and AC fan box.

It's more likely coolant, as stated above AC oil doesn't normally pool since it comes out so little at a time. Typically all you see is the dirt collecting on it. If it was a fast enough leak to let a lot out at once it's still under pressure so it just goes all over the place and makes a bigger stain for dust to collect on.

Best way to know if your AC charge is gone is to buy or borrow a set of gages and check it. Can get a functional set for well under $100 at most parts stores or harbor freight.

That appears to be on the fire wall, near where the down pipe leaves the manifold. That's right below the lines to the heater core and AC fan box.

It's more likely coolant, as stated above AC oil doesn't normally pool since it comes out so little at a time. Typically all you see is the dirt collecting on it. If it was a fast enough leak to let a lot out at once it's still under pressure so it just goes all over the place and makes a bigger stain for dust to collect on.

Best way to know if your AC charge is gone is to buy or borrow a set of gages and check it. Can get a functional set for well under $100 at most parts stores or harbor freight.

^^^^^

Agree with this....! 👍

Can't tell where the pic was taken, but touch it with a finger, smell it, taste it, rub it between your fingers to become familiar with it. Then do the same for all the other fluids in your vehicle in order to identify the problem in the dark on the side of the highway when it stops. This way you'll know what went wrong.

I'm not kidding.

I'm not kidding.
lol I did that also taste test it’s oil thin oil

K it’s been sitting In the garage for awhile on jack stands coolant lines are all new I did the rear heater delete I thought it was from that but no I did notice the oil stain on the fire wall behind the shield the drip it’s a thin oil this whole truck with 137000 miles is going to be new before long crazy my rear heater coolant pipes were too rusted to chance it so that’s the reason for the delete wasn’t sure if the AC had oil thanks for the insight everyone

wasn’t sure if the AC had oil thanks for the insight everyone

^^^

A/C system DOES have oil (about 8ozs of PAG46) and IF any dye has ever been injected....it is usually green in color. But it doesn't look exactly like what you have pictured. IF you are running green coolant....that is what it appears like to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom