A/C not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
85 FJ60 - I have replaced the compressor, dryer, condensor. I have pulled a vacuum that held. When I run the A/c to charge the system it pulls the motor down. It takes about a can and a half of freon 134A. It should take 2 cans. Bottom line it cools to 80 deg when it is 80 deg ambient.

Did you replace the expansion valve? What's the low side reading when the compressor is engaged? You should be seeing 25-30 psi on the low side and somewhere around 225 on the high side.

Did you replace the expansion valve? What's the low side reading when the compressor is engaged? You should be seeing 25-30 psi on the low side and somewhere around 225 on the high side.
I did not change the expansion valve, where is it located? I will get with you on the pressures when I change the valve.

While I haven't done A/C on my 60, I have done both of my 80s, Expansion valves are cheap and while putting them in isn't the most fun task (not that hard either), you do get the bonus of being able to clean out the evaporator. This thing is always full of dirt and debris. Cleaning it out helps it work so much better. Did you also change out the O-Rings? Did you flush the system and fill with PAG oil since it came from Toyota with R12? Also, putting the can in a bowl of warm water will help getting it all out when recharging.

Good luck!

While I haven't done A/C on my 60, I have done both of my 80s, Expansion valves are cheap and while putting them in isn't the most fun task (not that hard either), you do get the bonus of being able to clean out the evaporator. This thing is always full of dirt and debris. Cleaning it out helps it work so much better. Did you also change out the O-Rings? Did you flush the system and fill with PAG oil since it came from Toyota with R12? Also, putting the can in a bowl of warm water will help getting it all out when recharging.

Good luck!
All good tips, the mechanic sent a pic of the evaporation coil covered with bugs and debris. It's out of my hands and they do excellent work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom