A/C not working 2000 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem. I have searched on google and not come up with anything spot on. It has been warm in the Chicagoland area lately, crazy for February, and yesterday after listening to the wife complain I turned on the a/c. Well, no cold air. Got home and had my son turn on the a/c while I was outside with hood open. No sound of the compressor kicking on.

After a little good research I saw a post that said the compressor will not turn on if there is not enough Freon in the system (not sure if accurate or not). Hopefully it simply needs a recharge. Will have to have it tested for a leak as well.

One of the post I saw regarding a/c issues said to run an a/c diagnostic for codes, and had a link to a mud post on how to run a diagnostic. The link is not valid. Is there a way to run a diagnostic without brining it to a shop or dealer?

Thanks in advance.

Add freon into the system (hope you know how) and check the glass window in the ac line. It is located near lower valence right below the driver side head light. If you see bubbles then it lacks gas. Add enough freon to clear the window (no bubbles). Report us back.

^^^^^^^^^^

DO NOT "add freon/refrigerant" until you KNOW if it needs any.

Yes, the compressor clutch will not engage if the system pressure is too low, BUT we don't know that is the problem.

You can jump across your pressure switch to confirm that the compressor clutch actually works. IF it does then the next thing to do is to put a set of gauges on the unit and see what is going on (low pressure/other).

Last edited:
I don't have access to 2000 LC repair manual, but the 07 says for a system w/o NAV - give this a try and see if you get back a number on the AC LCD screen:

Indicator Check:
1) Turn the ignition switch ON while pressing the A/C control AUTO switch and R/F switch simultaneously.
2) Check that all the indicators light up and go off 4 times in succession at 1 second intervals.

What number do you see on the screen after doing this? Could take a few mins to go through all the diagnostics.

I don't have access to 2000 LC repair manual, but the 07 says for a system w/o NAV - give this a try and see if you get back a number on the AC LCD screen:

Indicator Check:
1) Turn the ignition switch ON while pressing the A/C control AUTO switch and R/F switch simultaneously.
2) Check that all the indicators light up and go off 4 times in succession at 1 second intervals.

What number do you see on the screen after doing this? Could take a few mins to go through all the diagnostics.

For a 2000,
You hold both the "fresh air/recirculate" and "AC compressor" switches, then turn the ignition on.

The code is displayed by which LED(s) are flashing around the rotary dials:
1 = Rear Defrost
2 = Air Flow Face
3 = Air Flow Bi-Level
4 = Air Flow Foot
5 = Air Flow Foot & Defrost
6 = Air Flow Defrost
7 = Fan Speed Low
8 = Fan Speed Med1
9 = Fan Speed Med2
10 = Fan Speed High​

From 2000 LC Service manual
2000 LC AC 1.jpg
2000 LC AC 2.jpg
2000 LC AC 3.jpg
2000 LC AC 4.jpg
2000 LC AC 5.jpg

From 2000 LC Service manual (cont)
2000 LC AC 6.jpg
2000 LC AC 7.jpg
2000 LC AC 8.jpg

2000 LC AC 9.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their replies, and to jLB for the info from the manual. Hopefully I will have time this weekend to figure out the problem. Of course the weather by Saturday will be back in the 30's, today we may break a record and hit 70. I need to move back to Arizona.

I will reply back with what I find out. Thanks again.

where in the chicagoland are you located? I'm in Lisle.
I just ordered an A/C line repair kit for mine, the aluminum tube going to the rear unit is leaking.

Leandro, I am in Plainfield. What were the symptoms with your a/c problem? Did your compressor still kick on with the freon gone? When i hit the a/c button the light comes on and stays on, but the compressor does not kick on. What is the repair kit you purchased? It will probably be Saturday before i can run the diagnostics.

Leandro, I am in Plainfield. What were the symptoms with your a/c problem? Did your compressor still kick on with the freon gone? When i hit the a/c button the light comes on and stays on, but the compressor does not kick on. What is the repair kit you purchased? It will probably be Saturday before i can run the diagnostics.

ILCruiser, we are pretty close.
The symptoms were very clear, i got off the truck and heard a hiss coming from the rear right quarter, crawl underneath and saw a green fluid spraying out of the aluminum pipe, at first i thought it was coolant going to the rear heater core, then found out that the heater core is in the middle of the truck, and that was freon coming out.

this happened about 10 days ago, since then i haven't tried to start the A/C.

the kit i bought arrived yesterday, seems extremely simple (if you knoe where your leak is, of course).

Dorman A/C repair kit

if you want, we can get together and take a look at the kit, i was planning on doing it on Saturday but looks like it's gonna snow.

let me know.

ILCruiser, we are pretty close.
The symptoms were very clear, i got off the truck and heard a hiss coming from the rear right quarter, crawl underneath and saw a green fluid spraying out of the aluminum pipe, at first i thought it was coolant going to the rear heater core, then found out that the heater core is in the middle of the truck, and that was freon coming out.

this happened about 10 days ago, since then i haven't tried to start the A/C.

the kit i bought arrived yesterday, seems extremely simple (if you knoe where your leak is, of course).

Dorman A/C repair kit

if you want, we can get together and take a look at the kit, i was planning on doing it on Saturday but looks like it's gonna snow.

let me know.

IF you don't need or want rear A/C there are also 'block off kits' available.

IF you don't need or want rear A/C there are also 'block off kits' available.
i was actually about to buy the caps to block it when i saw this kit, the price is about the same, so i thought to give this a try.
Now, in the case of blocking it, you just cap it or you need to loop it? i wasn't clear on that

@Leandro please report back on your doorman a/c kit.

You can block off the rear as well but then you will have to recalculate the amount of freon the system will take.

To the OP the compressor will not turn on when there is little to no freon. Once added to the system it should come on automatically.

You can rent gauges from auto zone for this application.

I just installed the Dorman A/C repair Kit
It's extremely simple, just basic tools and a couple of hours.

Here are some pictures of the process, not greatly detailed, but there's not too much science on this.

Here's the kit and the tools needed

unnamed3.jpg

After measuring the length of hose, i cut it and assembled the fittings

unnamed.jpg

You have to use A/C oil on the fittings and AL pipe. It's $8 on Autozone.

Then cut the pipe with extreme care.

unnamed2.jpg

With sand paper clean up about 2 inches of the pipe. The following pictures is out of focus, but you get the idea

unnamed6.jpg

Finally, put some oil on the pipe and insert the fitting, tighten it, but not too much or you will break the AL thread.

unnamed5.jpg

Put some zip ties on it and keep it away form the exhaust.

Now i have to take it a shop to vacuum and charge it, and hopefully that would be it.

Total cost was around $65 (kit + oil)

Nice work. Interesting a rubber hose is used here. I was contemplating rubber originally before I did my copper nickel line fix.

Following these lines back to the engine compartment what is the condition of those two lines? They seem to rust around the clamping positions and under that metal covering behind the passenger side wheel.

I finally had time to run the diagnostic procedure posted by jLB. There were 3 codes.

1. Rear Defrost/Fresh Air. The "Detection Item" listed on the chart could mean abnormal refrigerant pressure or open pressure sensor circuit.

2. Rear Defrost/Defrost. The "Detection Item" listed on the chart indicates Solar Circuit Open or Short. A note in the service manual says if the test was done in the dark, which it was, the Rear Defrost/Defrost may light up even if nothing is wrong with the Solar Circuit. It says to redo the test in the daylight, which i will do tomorrow.

3. Was Rear Fan/M1 which i can't find a corresponding item on the chart. Anyone have any ideas on that one?

The only "Trouble areas" listed on the chart for both 1 and 2 above is A/C Amplifier.

I just found this in a previous thread. Anyone figure that one out? Same as my #3 above:

Rear Fan/M1 (again, no apparent trouble code for the Rear Fan switch blinking.

Since Rear Fan is not even listed as a trouble light indicator, I'm not sure what to do about this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom