A/C not blowing cold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gang. I am newbie to the site and a newbie FJ62 owner that I bought off of ebay. I've always wanted one so I took the plunge.

Anyways, I am sure not much of a mechanic so all this tinkering to me is very new. The A/C on this 1990 FJ62 doesn't blow very cold which seems unusual based on comments posted in ads and such. What's the first few things I should check? When I bought it, the heat didn't work well and after replacing the thermostat and fan clutch, it works fine now.

Thanks!

Does the A/C clutch work, does it leak? When I bought my 88 I had to replace the condenser and a few other things.

Welcome to mud.

Does the blue A/C light come on when you turn on the A/C?
Do you feel the compressor engage or a feel the added load to the engine?

It is probably low on freon and needs a charge or you have a leak. I would take it to a shop and have them diagnose it for you. Most of the time they will not charge you anything if not much to tell you if it needs freon and give you an estimate. They are good A/C's when working right. If it has never been converted over to the new ozone friendly r134, then it might be time to do it. The r12 (old stuff) is expensive if you can get it but it might cool slighty more then the new stuff.

The blue light does come on and I feel it engage in the engine. I don't know if the A/C clutch is working or not. How can I tell?

The blue light does come on and I feel it engage in the engine. I don't know if the A/C clutch is working or not. How can I tell?

It is working if you feel it engage. The clutch engages/disengages the A/C compressor so you don't have to drive around turning the compressor all the time but only when you want A/C.

A/C

Welcome to MUD!:cheers:

Assuming it's still an R12 system, look at the top of the drier, it's the silver or black cylinder, roughly 2.5" dia X 7" long, mounted near the condenser (looks like a smaller radiator in front of the regular radiator), it has 2 small lines going in and out at the top. In the center of the drier should be a "sight glass"-you may need to wipe off some crud in order to see it. With the engine running and the A/C on, the sight glass should be clear. If you see bubbles in it, the system is low on refrigerant and may just need to be charged. You may need to use a flashlight to see what's happening in the sight glass. Hope I didn't over-simplify.:doh:
Good luck!
Rex

Thanks Rex. I'll check it out. That is definitely not over simplifying it for a knucklehead like me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom