A/C Line Repair Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
Is the video below correct?

If you need to replace the soft-line hose on an A/C line assembly, can you just cut off the old ferrule sleeve, clean the hardline end, shove on a new hose and ferrule, and re-crimp it?

Or is the proper repair to cut off the old fitting and braze on a new one?

Those ends are crimped so yes it's possible. Probably a waste of time though as the rubber line itself is deteriorated and it will likely just fail again in short order.
Yes, I would replace the entire length of rubber flex hose line itself. So new hose and new ferrules on the old hardline.

Most people just cut off the end and braze on a new fitting. I didn’t know if there was a reason you couldn’t reuse the old hardline with a fresh crimp.

Yes, I would replace the entire length of rubber flex hose line itself. So new hose and new ferrules on the old hardline.

Most people just cut off the end and braze on a new fitting. I didn’t know if there was a reason you couldn’t reuse the old hardline with a fresh crimp.
No reason you can't unless it's damaged somehow.

As long as you have the tooling to and fittings to make a new crimp.

Some hydraulic hose rebuild shops may be able to do it.

The AC hose on my 1992 SC400 was leaking so I took it in to the local Pacific Rubber. They said it was an odd size ferrule that they didn't stock and may not be available. They suggested they could try re-crimping the existing ferrule, which they did and that sealed the hose. Still working about 6 months later.

So like @BILT4ME said, if they have the parts and tooling it can be done.

Will, I’ve gone down the path of making my own lines. The first two I made ended up with slow leaks. For me I decided it was easier to take my old line to a shop and have a new one professionally rebuilt. Not much $ and worth the piece of mind. Good luck. Jimmy

Will, I’ve gone down the path of making my own lines. The first two I made ended up with slow leaks.
How did you make the lines? Crimp new hose and ferrules on the old hardline barbs?

Repair ferrules are so-so. There's no crimp diameter data and your ferrule and your dies aren't going to be compatible with the hose or the barb profile. So you're just winging it.

This stuff is out there because it last a year or three. Long enough for people to forget how much they paid for it lol.

Brazing the lines is terrible. Al brazing rod is zinc based. Why don't we make AC lines out of zinc? Because it disappears! So again, a few years after it's down the brazed lines will fail.

TIG welding works. The modifications need to be very carefully planned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom