A/C issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doc

Threads
It's hot in Iowa, and I've noticed a problem with my A/C unit over the last couple of weeks.

When stopped in traffic the A/C doesn't cool like I'd like it to. BUT, if I keep the RPM's around 1200 then it cools just fine.

Is there an adjustment to keep the A/C working when stopped at normal RPM's?

Thanks.

Two causes (off the top o my head)

- A/C compressor running, but at low rpms, and silght inefficiency, and high heat load, it's the best yer gonna get . . .

- A/C compressor not running...maybe adjustment to 'blue' knob on 'a/c amplifier' on fan housing/duct inside rig.

HTH

Pete, in Fla, w/o A/C

might need to adjust AC kickup screw on the carb to a bit higher RPM's, mine is set at 900-1000 rpms and the AC works great stoped or running. As well check the blue knob inside the cab on the AC amp.

A/C amplifier (blue box under glove comp.) controls the RPM at which the compressor will turn on. I posted up the text from the FSM a few weeks ago explaining which direction of the knob does what. Do a search on A/C and it should be in the last month or so.

Pimp, where is that screw on the carb? Got a pic?

I'll check the amplifier knob as well...

its facing the front of the 60, right below the vacuum diaphram(look for a vac line going from the VSV on the washer bottle(on fender) to the carb) its the only adjustment screw on the front of the carb.

Doc said:
Pimp, where is that screw on the carb? Got a pic?

I'll check the amplifier knob as well...

Ok guys, I don't readily see a blue knob thingy under the glove box area on the pasenger side. Any more specific directions. Is it behind the duct work or something?

As my dad says "If it were a snake, it'd have bit 'ya by now!"

its the size of a pack of smokes, looks like it was added as an afterthought, its right on the duct or maybe its the AC evaporator or something, but it right there in the open, on the passanger side.

Doc said:
Ok guys, I don't readily see a blue knob thingy under the glove box area on the pasenger side. Any more specific directions. Is it behind the duct work or something?

As my dad says "If it were a snake, it'd have bit 'ya by now!"

I found the amplifier knob. Duh. Plain as day.

Anyway, I turned it all the way counter clockwise and can still hear the A/C turning off as I release the choke. So now I guess I adjust the screw on the carb?

I followed the vacuum line from the thingy behind the head light washer tank, but did not see an adjustment screw on the diaphragm it was connected to.

Any pointers? Is it on the drivers side or front of the carb?

front side of the carb, center.

hey, I even got a pic, you can see the screw in this(its on a 40 but its a fj60 carb) it just to the left of the diaphram
54859633.jpg

Doc said:
I found the amplifier knob. Duh. Plain as day.

Anyway, I turned it all the way counter clockwise and can still hear the A/C turning off as I release the choke. So now I guess I adjust the screw on the carb?

I followed the vacuum line from the thingy behind the head light washer tank, but did not see an adjustment screw on the diaphragm it was connected to.

Any pointers? Is it on the drivers side or front of the carb?

My knob is adjusted completely out as well and I just do little tricks at the stop light by holding the brake and the gas at the same time to keep the air going!

John, on my 60's carb that screw appears to be a mounting screw....

but what do I know?

I do know one thing. Your engine bay is entirely too clean. Fix that ASAP please. You're making the rest of us look bad.

specifically, if you look close it appears to hold down the bracket used to clamp that green connector... check it out in your pic. You can kind of see that.

Maybe it's a dual purpose screw? Holds that bracket and adjusts A/C?

screw7va.jpg

This one?

Oh crap.. You're talking about the one in blue aren't you? I'll have to find that one.

screw9rv.jpg

OK, the silver gold diaphram(right above the red Aisan sticker) on the front/DS of the carb, follow the rod from that to the gold(in my pic) screw, there is a spring under it and it is used to adjust the AC idle. it is the ONLY screw with a spring under it on the front of the carb.

If I knew who to put an arrow on my pic I would

It's OK, I think I've got it. This morning I wasn't using a flashlight and didn't see that screw down there. I'll check again tonight.

Thanks John.

PS, I just used photoshop to make a crude circle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom