A/C issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looked over previous posts but couldn't find much help, just bought my 80, 97 model. knew that AC rough at times but blows darn cold air, well more times than not feel good vibration under the hood which goes away when I turn AC off but also goes away when placing vehicle in neutral, are these 2 systems linked together? Just wanna be able to take to shop with decent idea of diagnosis so dont get run around! Thanks

My thought would be something with the compressor. Possibly the bearings in the pulley on the compressor.

I'd start by looking at the condition and tension of the belts. When you turn on the A/C, it basically loads the engine, amplifying and problems that may already exist, such as a bad motor mount, an engine mis-fire, etc. If you can identify the area the vibration is coming from, then it's a process of elimination to find the problem. It doesn't sound like you're hearing any unusual noises, so the clutch bearing is probably ok.

Just curious would a bad engine mount also provide a clue at other times? i have been leading toward compressor issue myself with my
limited knowledge of the AC system

I can't speak to the motor mount, other than when I suspect a problem with a mount, I use a big pry bar to see if the mount has separated. As far as the compressor goes, if it's cooling and not making any noise, it should be ok.

**** I AM NOT A MECHANIC****
****YOU CANNOT SUE ME IF IM WRONG****

I would absolutely check the motor mounts. As stated, the AC Compressor load the system and kind of causes a "shock" when it kicks on, so if you have a bad mount, the engine will rock a bit. That could also explain the vibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom