A/C high side fitting, can someone please explain what I’m missing here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does this thing come off or do I need a special adapter? None of the fittings or adapters in my AC vacuum pump/gauge/charging kit thread on it. It looks like a Schaefer valve. I can thread onto the low side no problem as it’s a different size. I’m a complete AC noob so please have mercy on me and tell me what I’m missing. Thank you for any advice.

I did try searching by the way but I’m having trouble getting a clear answer, probably because I’m such an AC noob...

Does this thing come off or do I need a special adapter? None of the fittings or adapters in my AC vacuum pump/gauge/charging kit thread on it. It looks like a Schaefer valve. I can thread onto the low side no problem as it’s a different size. I’m a complete AC noob so please have mercy on me and tell me what I’m missing. Thank you for any advice.

Proper terminology may improve any searches you make. Schrader not Schaefer.

The info on the internet thinks the high side port should be 1/4” flare aka 7/16-20 but in reality it is the same size as a Schrader valve like you have on a tire. The low side fitting is the expected size and I can fit my gauges to it. I am trying to run vacuum in the system with my pump, and I have a separate charge kit that is supposed to be compatible with r12. The system is currently completely empty and has new o rings and a new condenser.

Toyota used two sizes of high-side fittings with R12 systems. If the high and low side are the same size, they're 1/4" male flare. If the high-side is smaller, it's 3/16 MF and you need an adapter like this:
imagesFLKF1T4B.jpg

Toyota used two sizes of high-side fittings with R12 systems. If the high and low side are the same size, they're 1/4" male flare. If the high-side is smaller, it's 3/16 MF and you need an adapter like this:View attachment 2307096

thank you! I don’t know why I couldn’t find anyone make mention of 3/16 mf on the internet! I’ll see if I can’t find an adapter like that, I’m assuming the other end is 1/4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom