A/C evaporator R&R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last fall I had noticed the A/C system stopped working at the same time I also noticed the unmistakable STRONG smell of Freon refrigerant anytime I turned the vent on. I read some post and it sounds like the evaporator has probably gone bad. Anyone out there have the FSM for this process? How time consuming is it?

Thanks

R&R of the evaporator is not really difficult. You simply disconnect the refrig lines at the firewall, remove the cooling unit (under glove box), split the case open, and swap it out. You may want to consider replacing the expansion valve so long as you're in there, but not frequently necessary...

If you want the FSM for this, I suggest either giving Dan a call for paper version, or checking out Natorgator's thread on FSM download from TIS.

Scamper, Are the only connection for the evap on the engine side of the firewall? I was thinking maybe I just had a leaky connection around the blower but sounds like the connection are not in the cab.

I read your post about your evaporator RPL, did you ever find where the failure was located on the evaporator?

LIVE HELP
Ok, I almost have the lower half of the evaporator case off, there seems to be a hidden fastner behind the case up against the firewall? Is there a bolt that come from the engine side that holds it in place??

You need to pull the entire unit(evaporator case only) out to get to the clip in the back. If you force it you can break the case half.

IIRC from when I had mine out a while ago, there are no fasteners from the enigine bay side but there is a clip right at the back up against the fire wall holding both halves together.

I found it was easiest to remove the box as a whole, then split it outside the car. Gives you a whole lot more room to work as well, rather than trying to stand on your head under the dash!!

Oops, beaten to it!!

You must remove the box to get that clip off without busting the case. Take the bolt out that holds the connection on the firewall, remove the glovebox, and pull a couple of 10mm bolts and the box comes out. It is easier than it sounds.

Scamper, Are the only connection for the evap on the engine side of the firewall? I was thinking maybe I just had a leaky connection around the blower but sounds like the connection are not in the cab.

I read your post about your evaporator RPL, did you ever find where the failure was located on the evaporator?
The connections at the engine side are just the refrigerant lines; they don't hold the cooling box in.

To replace the evaporator, you MUST remove the entire cooling box which is located under and behind the glove box. The clips discussed above hold the two halves of the cooling box together and can only be removed with the cooling box out of the vehicle. Once you get the cooling box out and open it up, you'll see the evaporator; it's replacement is obvious and easy.

My own experience was that my major leak was on the refrigerant line below the battery where is goes down to the dryer. It had chaffed a nice slice in it where it was leaking. I did however, also have leaking occurring in the evaporator as noted in that post, so I replaced that too. But it was minor by comparison and I'm sure I could have played the periodic refill game if I had wanted to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom