A/C Cooling Problem - please give me some advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2014 LC with 160k miles. A/C was starting to give me issues last year in the Spring. Condenser area sounded like it was hissing every time it turned on. Then it started to blow warm air. So I did an evac and recharge and it lasted me through the season last year. This year having a similar issue only the A/C was working on the driver side, but not on the passenger side. Took her in to the same independent shop (Meineke) to have another look. Tried the evac and recharge but he said that it wouldn't take the recharge. There is a leak somewhere that is "major" he said. He needs to take several days to find the leak and replace things that need to be replaced. He said looking at $2-3k and that it was a common problem with LCs. The guy is reputable, but I want a second opinion. Local dealer said he needs to do the vac and recharge again to diagnose with dye, etc. But can't tell me what it will cost. Meineke tells me I have a major leak and the dealership will charge me $5000-7000 because they will recommend replacing everything. He's had 2 guys already come to him after getting a quote from the dealership. So I'm trying to figure out what to do. Go pay $300 for the vac and recharge to diagnose at the dealership? Or go with Meineke and get the repair process going. Thanks for your advice.

Check your AC lines above the exhaust exit where they go through the floor into the rear AC module. Common leak spot in vehicles that operate in rust states.

Check your AC lines above the exhaust exit where they go through the floor into the rear AC module. Common leak spot in vehicles that operate in rust states.
Appreciate your help but I don't even know what I'm looking for. AC blows cold on the driver side. Doesn't on the passenger side. A/C guy told me that the pressure won't hold indicating a major leak.

I'm confused. You said after an evac, it wouldn't take a charge (which indicates major leak or compressor problem...did it hold vacuum?), yet it blows cold on one side? If the system was evacuated and not charged...there should not be ANY cold air. If certain vents are cold and others are not...then that sounds like more of a vent problem.

If vacuum was run on an evacuated system...it should hold that for at least an hour or two. If it doesn't...you have a leak. If it does, you have a compressor, refrigerant volume, or TXV problem.

I'm confused. You said after an evac, it wouldn't take a charge (which indicates major leak or compressor problem...did it hold vacuum?), yet it blows cold on one side? If the system was evacuated and not charged...there should not be ANY cold air. If certain vents are cold and others are not...then that sounds like more of a vent problem.

If vacuum was run on an evacuated system...it should hold that for at least an hour or two. If it doesn't...you have a leak. If it does, you have a compressor, refrigerant volume, or TXV problem.
Thanks for your insight. They evacuated and tried charging. only about a pound was recharged before it went to retard mode (whatever that means). So I am still getting some cold air at the moment. Maybe it is the compressor or something else? I'm not very knowledgeable on this matter. Just relaying what the shop told me.

As a baseline, have you verified your blend door is operational? (If checking, make sure NOT to force the mechanism by hand, but use the recirculate button method that’s well documented here on the forum and owners manual).

If the blend door is busted, then it can lead to the HVAC system doing all sorts of things it shouldn’t.

Just wanted to share an update which leaves me a bit confused. Took to dealership this morning, who was able to evacuate and recharge the system fully without any issues. They did not see any obvious evidence of a leak, but will check the system again in a week. Air is blowing ice cold on both driver and passenger sides. Appreciate the insight shared here so far.

Just wanted to share an update which leaves me a bit confused. Took to dealership this morning, who was able to evacuate and recharge the system fully without any issues. They did not see any obvious evidence of a leak, but will check the system again in a week. Air is blowing ice cold on both driver and passenger sides. Appreciate the insight shared here so far.
If the system was completely evaced it makes sense. They pulled it down to nothing and the compressor won't cycle to pull in refrigerant. Haven't messed with it in a while but you might have to go into techstream or something. Here is a complete list of things you should allow Meineke to service on your car:

If the system was completely evaced it makes sense. They pulled it down to nothing and the compressor won't cycle to pull in refrigerant. Haven't messed with it in a while but you might have to go into techstream or something. Here is a complete list of things you should allow Meineke to service on your car:
Ha. Blank list!

Found two small Oring leaks by the evaporator. Getting those replaced at the dealer.

Found two small Oring leaks by the evaporator. Getting those replaced at the dealer.
If they are pulling the dash to get to the evaporator core go ahead and replace it. Cheap part, lots of labor. My guess would be they are replacing the ones you get to from under the hood so this wouldn't apply.

If they are pulling the dash to get to the evaporator core go ahead and replace it. Cheap part, lots of labor. My guess would be they are replacing the ones you get to from under the hood so this wouldn't apply.
Great thought. Will inquire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom