A/C condensers - w/o rear air (vs) w/rear air (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 98 without rear air - curious if the ‘with rear’ condensers fit, and provide additional cooling. I replaced compressor and evaporator years ago - system works fine but not cool enough in hot months. Worried some fins are clogged. Will probably add aux fan - but system just not cool enough even on the interstate. (

From the pictures on rockauto, really hard to tell if mounting/plumbing is identical between condensers, some seem to have an additional bracket for fan.
C369F189-F9B5-4639-ADE9-CC7DFC14CD04.jpeg

D6A4DD22-62D7-460A-BCF9-982E07D8FA6E.jpeg

They're the same. Before you do anything, I suggest you have the pressures checked first to see if it's low on refrigerant.

Will do. In the past I have (improperly) overfilled it a bit with no improvement. Worried there is crap in the condenser when compressor failed, should have replaced it then. Will check high and low side. From another post:

Low 21-35 PSI
High 199-227PSI
Test conditions: temp at air INlet 86F to 95F and engine RPM 1600 and temperature control set to max. cool and blower set to HIGH.

Last edited:
at above ninety and high humidity in the dark I always went close to fifty low and two fifty high. excellent vent temps

Replaced condenser, worth the $80 cost. Got it blowing from 59 to 49max (although 49 was slightly cooler day). Old system was blowing about 64 in stop and go. Looks like a solid 5+ degree drop. Specs say 23 oz - put in 2 cans so with purging lines, about right (+ 3oz PAG46). Took just over an hour, with 20 min pulling a vacuum. Around 40 low, 215 high at idle, 85 degrees. 19 years and 300k, the original condenser was ready to be retired, should have been replaced with new evaporator and compressor 5 years ago.
28545291-A294-4769-85EF-759ED457B123.jpeg

Old one was so dirty on the outside (road grime, etc) that is had much diminished thermal exchange (ability to shed heat).

I would have pulled a vacuum for at least 45 minute to an hour to be sure you've boiled off any moisture that might be in the system, but I'm sure you're happy with the improvement in vent temps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom