A/C condenser drain leak (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I have been searching through the forums trying to find a solution to a leak in my passenger side foot well. It appears to be coming from the A/C condenser. Sunroof drains are fine, fluid is definitely water, and it only happens when the AC is running. Water is draining about 50% through the engine bay nipple and about 50% into the cabin. Has anyone else experienced this and had any luck in fixing it?

very common problem. There is a small foam gasket that over time deteriorates to the point where a leak is the result.

I had this issue and replaced the gasket with a OEM gasket. It looks like a 5 in foam string.

There are some that created their own solution but using sealants or the like. There is a good amount of posts on this one.

If you do by the replacement gasket it can be replaced without taking the dash out to do it.

This started happening to me. I'll have assess more when I can. I put all weather mats and noticed water... I felt underneath the dash and felt some moisture on some panel.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

First make sure the drain out through the engine bay is completely clear. If it's even partly blocked (and still dripping outside), you can still get a pool of water in the housing that leaks inside. Blow it out with compressed air, etc. and see if that helps before you do any disassembly.

First make sure the drain out through the engine bay is completely clear. If it's even partly blocked (and still dripping outside), you can still get a pool of water in the housing that leaks inside. Blow it out with compressed air, etc. and see if that helps before you do any disassembly.

Sorry not sure where that drain is, can you help me locate the drain through the engine bay.

evaporator...

Another quick link about the cooler cover drip and home made remedies: Resealing the Evaporator Cover

The part number I was looking for to the gasket is : 88578-47040 (I don't remember the exact cost but it is <$30) Print the picture and take it with you to the parts dealer as the part number may not register (it didn't at Lexus of Austin)

Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 6.52.41 PM.png

You can see it foam gasket recess at the top edge of the covers (THEY ARE UPSIDE DOWN):

Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 6.53.29 PM.png

The pictures were jacked form this thread: Cabin air filter conversion - LC100 to LX470

Worst part of the job was removing the cover as the FSM says you need to remove the dash to not break the glove box support.

I can assure you it can be done without removing the dash.

Here is what the gasket looks like :

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1393684437.108950.jpg

Last edited:
Well I got to the evaporator but didn't realise I would have to remove the whole dash to remove it to get to the drain. I access the drain from the engine bay didn't see much debris coming out using a blunted kite stick. I'll be ordering a gasket.

There was a lot of debris where the AC filters go.

When you say blow with compressed air, are you blowing from the engine bay towards the dash? I'm still searching on how to remove the dash so I can clean the drain from the inside.

For sure don't remove the dash! It's a huge job that would be overkill for a clogged drain! I used compressed air from the outside (engine compartment) going in. That, plus a complete vacuuming of the filter compartment, permanently fixed the leak I had onto the passenger floor from the evaporator. If there is hardened material in the drain line you might have to gently poke something up there (long pipe cleaner?) before you use compressed air.

For sure don't remove the dash! It's a huge job that would be overkill for a clogged drain! I used compressed air from the outside (engine compartment) going in. That, plus a complete vacuuming of the filter compartment, permanently fixed the leak I had onto the passenger floor from the evaporator. If there is hardened material in the drain line you might have to gently poke something up there (long pipe cleaner?) before you use compressed air.

Thank you sir for saving from taking apart my dash!

Mine is doing this too, never been enough for me to worry about. But I did order the seal and will install this week.

Trying to fix this on my 100 series right now and I must say that for as common as this problem is and for as many posts there have been about this (with links to boot) there is extremely little information on how to actually do this... Some of the links that others provide don't even address the A/C drain issue. I might try and take some photos as I'm doing it to make it easier for others but I'm a complete novice...

IMG_9367.JPG
Ok guys I could use some help here!

So I opened the glove box up etc and don't see any possible way to replace the gasket without removing the entire dash. Picture above is where I'm at. Any advice?

In addition, I has tried using weed trimmer line to clear the tube but it only gets about 6" into the opening in the engine bay. See picture below:
IMG_9368.JPG

What should I be doing? Should I forget the gasket replacement, take the car to a gas station and used their compressed air to blow into that hole that I've stuck the weed trimmer line? Remove the dash and replace the gasket? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

um, the gasket goes in the part you have hanging down already. Park nose down. Make it drain all the way. Replace gasket. Slightly wipe silicone caulk on the bottom of the part your have hanging down after you put it all back together. Don't move the truck or run the AC for a few hours.

Thanks Jerryb. So in the photo you marked with yellow above that is the outside of the case. Am I correct in assuming that the gasket goes on the inside of the piece show in the pic below? The weird thing is that I didn't see any gasket piece anywhere to replace...
IMG_9369.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom