A/C compressor to On Board Air Writeup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time reader new thread starter. So I saw a few others on here had discussed using the A/C compressor as an air compressor, and my A/C system is beyond repair without major expense, I thought I would give it a shot.

Parts list:

Pressure switch (replacement for air compressor, mine was from Ace Hardware 80PSI on 100PSI off. It is square D brand and I slightly enlarged one mounting hole and used a threaded hole that was in the fender already to attach it. Also used a rubber washer behind it when I bolted it on. about 30$

Pressure Gauge, mine is 0-200 PSI. about 10$

Female Quick connect of your preferred style. about 5$

Pressure relief valve, I don't actually have one and it seems ok but I would reccomend using one about 25-50 PSI higher than your pressure switch cut off pressure. about 10$

3/8" ID hose capable of higher pressure than your pressure switch/ relief valve. (buy it by the foot. I needed about 5 feet IIRC) about 10$ total

1/2" ID hose for inlet of compressor, does not need to be pressure rated, just so It doesn't collapse on itself when the compressor is sucking through it. I just have some fancy Gates hose because thats what I had. (buy it by the foot. I needed about 3 feet to get it up into the fender area near the battery.) about 6$ total

Three barbed T fittings for 3/8" ID hose. I used plastic ones and they seem fine, about 2$ each

1/4" NPT female to 3/8" ID hose barb adapter for discharge of compressor.

3/8" NPT female to 1/2" ID hose barb adapter for intake of compressor.

Adapters for back of pressure gauge, pressure switch, Quick connecter, and pressure relief to 3/8" ID hose barb (mostly 1/4" NPT some female and some male depending on what components you end up with.)

2 grommets to put in the holes through the fender for the pressure gauge and quick connect ( I did not cut any holes, just used ones that were there) the grommets I used were for a 1-7/16" hole with a 1" ID, they are a little loose as the fender holes are about 1-1/2" but thats all I could find. about 2$ each

Lots of hoseclamps! about a dozen-fifteenish.

The trickiest part for my method is threading the ends from your A/C hoses so that you can screw on the brass fittings. I cut the aluminum ends off as long as possible and gently clamped them in a vise, the small one is the discharge and is very close to the right size to thread it for 1/4" NPT (tapered pipe thread) At work we have a set of pipe dies so I did it over lunch break, use a little cutting oil and get it as straight as possible. The larger one (discharge) is a little on the small side for 3/8" NPT but it won't have any pressure so the couple threads that you can get on it with a die is enough. You can get thread cutting dies at a hardware store or fastenal. Usually they have a hex shaped body so you can turn them with a large wrench. Use a little teflon tape and put the brass fittings onto the intake/ discharge pipes so it looks something like this.

[URL="https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=624792&d=1335208135"][URL="https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=624792&d=1335208135"] [/URL][/URL]

I ran all of the hoses inside the fender so as not to have a cluttered mess. (I'm anal about that kind of stuff.) It's kinda tricky to get the hoses all attached and hose clamps tightened inside the fender but with the right order of assembly it can be done.
[URL="https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=624793&d=1335208135"][URL="https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=624793&d=1335208135"] [/URL][/URL]

Use the grommets to protect the paint from scratching and absorb any vibration (not that our fantastic 2f engines aren't smooth as silk...)

[URL="https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=624794&d=1335208135"][URL="https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=624794&d=1335208135"] [/URL][/URL]

For the wiring I used 16ga wire and went from battery, to fuse holder with 15A fuse, then to the orange rocker switch, then through the contacts on pressure switch, the used a spade terminal to connect the the factory wire to the compressor (see first pick about 8 inches from compresser up the string of wires.)

(to avoid confusion that relay right next to the pressure switch is not a part of this system, just another one of my hack jobs.)

I have used it a couple times and it works great, spray a little air tool oil into the intake every once in a while and it should last for a good long time, the A/C system operated at much higher pressures than 100PSI. Eventually I plan to wire the idle up solenoid into the circuit too so that when the compressor runs it also cranks the idle up to 1800rpm. Some calculation and timing estimate a average of 5 cfm at idle speed and 12 cfm at 1800rpm. The more air you need just rev it up. I usually fill an 11 gallon portable tank, and from 0 to 100 PSI at idle takes 1 minute and 50 seconds, at 1800rpm it takes 55 seconds.

Questions, Comments, Im always open to more/better ideas. :cheers:
AC-Air Compressor.jpg
Compressor System.jpg
Instrument Closeup.jpg

Also I want to say thank you to everyone here on the forum, I have gained an immense amount of knowledge from this site. My cruiser was in rough shape when my wife and I bought it 2 years ago (barely running) and with the forum and FSM i have gotten it running great, still only 13mpg though... oh well. I is a 60 from 10/85, 187k miles, mostly used for running around town, camping, and when the snow gets deep in the winter.

attachment.php

Closeup.JPG

And how do I get the pics to not show up twice?

Here are my concerns with this setup:

1) I think you may need to add a filter / separator to remove oil from your air.

2) I'm guessing you haven't used this much yet, but it's amazing how hot the air is out of a compressor. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't melt your output hose with extended use. I believe they make high temp hoses and also a tank will help too.

There isn't much oil in the air, as I just drip a dozen drops or so in every hour-ish of use. You definetly could not use the air for painting or anything that needed clean oil free air, but for tires, air tools etc it is ok. You are probably right about using some higher temp hose for the output, It does get somewhat hot, but not as hot as my regular compressor in the garage, I have not used it long enough to tell yet. I will try to get some temps after extended running.

Maat: Yes it is enough air for air tools. For comparison most standard home use air compressors produce around 4-6cfm. It works best with the use of a storage tank. I use an 11 gallon portable tank with my system. Someday I would like to mount a permanent tank, maybe even a 5 gallon one underneath. The tank gives you a buffer so that you can use a large quantity of air in a hurry (filling a tire or using an impact wrench) and then it refills as you go around to the next tire etc.

Off topic but for better fuel mileage get an in-cab vacuum gauge and drive so you've always got the most vacuum you can manage. Also good for diagnosing various engine ills.

Yea a vacuum gauge is next on the list actually, I plan to run the main line for it through the firewall and then have it hooked to manifold vac. But then be able to disconnect from that and hook it to anything else such as EGR, dist' advance, etc so that I can see whats going on with those systems while driving down the road.

JC,
Did you install a filter on the inlet hose end?

How much oil are you adding and how often specifically. I see various installs of this AC comp setup and everyone is using a different setup for getting oil in to lube the AC comp.

thanks.

3 yr old thread,
But read a few posts up. He was using 12 drops/hr.

12 drops/hr = 1 drop/5 mins.

That's not enough oil for the compressor and it will wear out quickly.

The air intake ideally needs an adjustable vacuum drip feed oiler installed upstream, which provides an intake oil mist (important) at a rate of more like 3-6 drops a minute with an oil separator installed down stream.

These can be found at any pneumatic shop. (tool oiler).

A little cheap air filter ideally should be installed too, to keep the mosquitos out.

Outputshaft,
Thank you for answering. I know it's an old thread. My VIAR died after 5 years of service and now looking at this option for more CFM and to run air tools.

Regarding the "mist" you referenced as an important factor. The oilers I get on a google search are all over the place. Do you have an idea of what the best oiler would be for price and size of system?

Any compressor oiler that has an adjustable drip rate is fine.
Use non-synthetic compressor oil. It's kind of like 30 wt motor oil.

The one I use looks like the pic below.

image.jpeg

Below is a link to how I hooked up mine. Not perfect by any means, and it has since been changed. But you get the idea. Lots of ways to do it.

Dealer installed york ac compressor

I don't use mine that often but it still works good. I never really used it for a long continuous time, I should install a filter, the intake hose is tucked inside one of the holes to the fender which keeps out big stuff but is not ideal.

Thanks for the info.

3 years down the road...... are you still on here OP? If so..... how has the system held up over time? I’ve been debating doing this for a couple of years, I believe the time is right. Lol
Anyways, just wondering if you had to re-do anything, or if you would of done anything different? Thanks!

He is on here and commented to me on a different thread within the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom