1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a/c compressor problem???

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by motomike, Jul 13, 2005.

1. motomike

motomike

How often should the compressor be switching on and off while at idle speed? When the truck (1987, 179k) is idleing the compressor seems to be 'jogging' on and off about every 10-15 seconds. I originally thought my rig suffered from the same a/c idle up problem I have read about in the archives, but now I'm wondering if it is something to do with the compressor. When it kicks in the idle dips for a second and then regains composure, but just as the idle settles down it kicks off and the idle bounces again. This cycle repeats ever 10-15 second making the idle very rough and seemingly an a/c idle up issue.

Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

2. chitown40

chitown40

Turn your a/c idle up a few hundred rpms, and you can adjust the a/c amplifier under the glove compartment. Blue knob, I think turn it clockwise. And if that doesn't work, turn it counterclockwise. :)

3. motomike

motomike

I tried adjusting that blue control screw and it didn't seem to make a difference either way. There seem to only be about 1.5 revolutions from full ccw to full cw. With the engine on should I be able to tell a noticable difference while adjusting the screw?

Thanks

4. soggy60

soggy60

1. adjusting the little blue control: little at a time & wait between 'tweaks'

2. You may be 'borderline' low on freon. Enough for system to start, as soon a comp runs few seconds, 'pressure switch' ( on receiveer/dryer) side sees 'just' low psig & turns system off...few seconds laer, pressure equalizes between hi and low sides and cycle starts over...