A/C and my sister (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
export.japan4x4.com
The following is from my sister. I think her 80 is a fairly early 80 series unit, around 1992 or so. Since I know nothing about A/C, Canadian and all that, and nothing about gas engines, living in a place with none, I look to all you for advise.

What has her service staff left out? Is there any place in Chicago that knows LC A/C inside and out?

David,

I think I own the Landcruiser from hell. It has broken down 5 times in the past 7 months! This must be some sort of record. It all started with the A/C last summer (August) when the motor seized up and left me and the kids stranded. That was a new motor and compressor for the A/C. Then in September the catalytic converter was replaced. In December/January it was something else (getting to be a blur of car parts). Both of these times the engine light came on although the car was running fine. In March I took it to a new garage - a little local shop that is much cheaper and much slower. This was a regular oil change etc., but I asked what I should do about the A/C that still wasn't working. He recommended another little shop that only does heat and air (Cool Heat). I took it there in early April and they couldn't see anything wrong and simply recharged the freon. The next month I went out on a Saturday morning to drive the car and noticed blue/green liquid leaking from the front of the car. I concluded it was coolant from the radiator and drove it the 4 blocks to the local garage and left it. They checked on Monday and said the radiator looked good and the liquid was from the A/C condenser. Back to Cool Heat for a new condenser the next day. On Wednesday the engine light came on! Back to the garage Thursday. The error code was a valve sticking in the "middle of the engine". They got it working without replacing it (said sometimes this works). A week later (always on a Friday night) the engine light came on. Back to have the valve (actually 2) replaced. This took days because they had to take a fair bit of the engine apart (and they are very slow - but cheap). In June, the car started groaning as we turned corners and there was a slight vibration in the steering wheel. Back to the shop. This time it was the power steering - the section near the front bumper was rusted through. They had to remove the radiator to do this, so I asked if it looked like it was okay. It took them 3 days this time (Thursday - Monday). Got it back days before our trip to Europe. The A/C worked great most of the time since the last repair (May), but at time would simply shut off. The local shop said it must be a temperature switch in the A/C system - I asked about the radiator. Back from Europe 5 days and our usual Friday night - the car began to overheat! The gauge was climbing towards the top. I headed home (quickly), and again got it to the shop over the week-end. 300 miles this time between repairs! On Monday the mechanic said he was swamped and booking in cars 10 days out - I responded that with only 300 miles between repairs this barely qualifies as a new visit and he should consider it part of my last repair! He got my point and said he would look at it today (Wednesday). I am sure it needs a new radiator. I hope this fixes the A/C problem. I can't imagine what could go next (I'm sure I won't have to wait long to find out)!

To me it sounds like some of the issues are related to rust from driving on salted roads. Sounds like the condensor, cat, and everything else are rusting out of the truck. It may be time to dump it and find a newer one from west of the Rockies.

Japan4X4 said:
She only writes me when her Land Cruiser is acting up. The rest of the time I may as well live in the far east.

LOL.

Your sister doesn't seem to understand the amount of TLC required to keep even a very well made 14 year old vehicle on the road and in good condition.

She got a new engine last August?

I'm curious how an engine code indicates a sticking valve. The engine ran hot and the AC cut out more than likely.

cary said:
To me it sounds like some of the issues are related to rust from driving on salted roads. Sounds like the condensor, cat, and everything else are rusting out of the truck. It may be time to dump it and find a newer one from west of the Rockies.

Sounds to me like she's being taken to the cleaners by these "cheap" shops. Even if she dumps it for another vehicle, sounds like she'll have issues with those as well. Does she have a history of neglecting the care of her vehicles? if living on salted winter roads, is she the type of person to take it to a car wash to spray/clean the under carriage of salts fairly regularly?

If there's nobody in her immediate family thats mechanically inclined to help take care of said vehicles, she's got few choices...

1) Take her LC to reputable Toyota Repair shops (ie. more expensive)
2) Replace her vehicles every 5 years or so.
3) Make friends with a local IH8Muder who would take good care of her and her FJ80 :grinpimp: (most will work for :beer: :flipoff2: )
or lastly...
4) If married, dump her husband for someone who likes to shower in Toyota 'red' coolant on a regular basis

If she's anything like my parents, I don't feel all that bad for her...they tend to wait for me to make interstate trips so that I can fix their car issues so they can save a few bucks or so...case in point...two pinhole leaks in their heater hoses would spray on block and steam outta of the hood at stop lights. They waited (topping off the water reservoir) until I came out to replace them for $10 rather than pay $120 for a shop to do it. :eek:

WET

wileetoyote said:
If she's anything like my parents, I don't feel all that bad for her...they tend to wait for me to make interstate trips so that I can fix their car issues so they can save a few bucks or so...case in point...two pinhole leaks in their heater hoses would spray on block and steam outta of the hood at stop lights. They waited (topping off the water reservoir) until I came out to replace them for $10 rather than pay $120 for a shop to do it. :eek:

WET

Sounds like my inlaws, who definition of maintence was when it doesn't start, take it to the shop. I have actually gotten my father in law (after 15 years) to where he takes his car and has the oil changed twice a year (he drives 15k a year), pulls over if it overheats, and checks his tires once a week (only because one has a slow leak the tire shop can find so he has to track it an air it up, this has been going on a year). The sad part is my sister in law, who is much less able to afford repairs, really tries hard to keep her car in good shape, does the regular servicing, and is 500 miles away where I can't help her with minor repairs.

Japan4X4 said:
1997 Landcruiser. 111,000 miles.

That's pretty young for all these problems. I'd suspect that she's getting ripped off.

I'm not so sure about the 'rip off'. These are all things that tend to happen on these trucks around this age in a salty environment. With exception of the valves...but if it isn't maintained, lack of oil can do that.

Cat Conv? Yeah... I can see that rusting out. Overheating with an ostensibly clean radiator? Yep... fan clutch. A/C compressor dies at 111,000? It can happen.

All of it happening within 1,000 miles? Bad luck? A PO realizing that everything was going at once and dumped it on you? Possibly.

Look at the bright side. The OEM parts lasted 111,000 miles. Likely you won't have to change the same parts again for another 100,000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom