a/c and deep water crossing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lockd80

Totally right
Threads
I noticed today when I was doing a semi deep watercrossing (about 2-3 foot) that my a/c shut off and started blowing warm air then recovered about 3 minuts after pulling out of the water. I was just wondering if i should shut off the a/c before crossing water or if this is something I should look into?

Anyone else notice this or am I the only one who wheels with the a/c blowing and the radio on? :hillbilly:

I don't have an answer specifically for you regarding the ac cutting out. However, I would turn the ac off if going through deep water and if I were to leave it on, I'd have it on recirculate.

Buck

the A/c compressor sits low on the motor and the belt or clutch probably got wet and was slipping .

Cold water surrounding condenser cooled it better than air, efficiency of whole a/c system increased rapidly, temperature of evaporator dropped down quickly below zero, high humidity of air (as usual near water crossings... ;)) caused ice-freezing of evap unit... Built in thermistor gave signal to release compressor clutch to avoid blocking airflow trough evap. by ice/snow but it was already too late. It took some time to melt snow surrounding this thermistor but finally after few mins it gave up and a/c started working again :)

Cold water surrounding condenser cooled it better than air, efficiency of whole a/c system increased rapidly, temperature of evaporator dropped down quickly below zero, high humidity of air (as usual near water crossings... ;)) caused ice-freezing of evap unit... Built in thermistor gave signal to release compressor clutch to avoid blocking airflow trough evap. by ice/snow but it was already too late. It took some time to melt snow surrounding this thermistor but finally after few mins it gave up and a/c started working again :)

great explanation .. I also think that low enviroment temp must me an issue .. coz if you take a hose and start blowing watter to the condenser from front .. it will do the same effect the AC will shut off for a while

Sounds right to me. While the belt may be slipping it did not make the associated squeeling you would expect when it started to dry. The effect was exactly the same as you get when the a/c shuts off due to high water temps.

Thanks Guys!

:beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom