Builds A build of a moderate Overlander (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just to clarify a few things. In Canada its very very hard to get a clean 80 especially with lockers. The examples I have seen are beaten, dirty and no maintenance history. I am sure I missed alot of stuff in baselining this LC. The engine is smooth, lots of power no noise and does not burn oil. But I'm waiting for my shop to do a cylinder head flow test. For the tranny I am on the fence with this.. But wisdom does dictate to flush and see ..

Now for the offroading portion. I do buck the norm, and I have wheeled for the last 25 years mostly Land rovers. IMHO, the lighter the vehicle, with a nice slinky suspension good crawl ratio and set of lockers on smaller skinny tires will get you great results. Also we are wheeling in the East coast, not the same terrain as in the West. Love to do the West coast for a few months... Get you guys to show me some rock crawlin :) Now you can tell me I'm chasing a ghost with an LC 80 and you are correct, but I have that itch with this truck, believing it will be one hell of a beast once unshackled of its weight.

For the crawl ratio and the 4.56 and if I do my calculations ( 40 to 1) I comes up to 4 to 5 mph at 1650 to 2000 rpm on 33s, its a nice steady pace with no spinning and within the power band. Yes I could do better, but this is a fair compromise for on pavement and true off roading.

This is a moderate build for me and my only hobby. I do travel light and hope that I can attain my weight goal. Everything is carefully examined in terms of weight and if its really required.

I'm might screw up here, but I need to try and if successful this can be an alternative method of overlanding. Again thank you all for your continued comments alot of good stuff here.
I might have missed your point here. Maybe it's that this is your *first* 80?
Maybe it's that you've been playing with the rest, not realizing the 80 is the best...out of the box? lol
Idk. Still curious and tuned in. 👍

I might have missed your point here. Maybe it's that this is your *first* 80?
Maybe it's that you've been playing with the rest, not realizing the 80 is the best...out of the box? lol
Idk. Still curious and tuned in. 👍

It could of been me, I edited my post to change from land cruiser to land rover. I have a few rovers, a nice series 1962 , 2 range rovers, one a 77 which I built another was an 87 which I bought in 93 , and 1 Disco 1 , 98. So yes indeed its my first LC 80, and I am getting my design cues from my previous builds. I will admit that no land rover has the durability and reliability of a land cruiser.

Well, it seems like he’s better off buying a Jeep unlimited Rubicon and throw some money at 4wheelparts.

What kind of comment is that ? If I wanted a Rubicon I would of bought one. I like to offroad and this build will give the LC what it needs to off road in a controlled manner. Its not always about big tires and the skinny pedal, finesse is also a big part of offroading. I am building this to my specs.

What kind of comment is that ? If I wanted a Rubicon I would of bought one. I like to offroad and this build will give the LC what it needs to off road in a controlled manner. Its not always about big tires and the skinny pedal, finesse is also a big part of offroading. I am building this to my specs.

I think maybe you should put the lift and tires on first and wheel it.

I'll be watching. Interested in the locker and gear choices. Seems you have a plan. I'm sure it will change as the build progresses. Good luck.

I'll be watching. Interested in the locker and gear choices. Seems you have a plan. I'm sure it will change as the build progresses. Good luck.
I think I will need it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom