A bit confused about my dry balls (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I went to check my moly grease levels for my knuckles and they're both filled to the rim...but my knuckles are dry. Any idea what's going on here? Lay it on me easy if my balls are in trouble.

IMG-6579.jpg

IMG-6580.jpg

IMG-6581.jpg

IMG-6583.jpg

IMG-6586.jpg

unless you clean that service port, you will see grease because its all flung to the outside of the joint, poke a q-tip in there, see if there is a void, and fill as necessary

unless you clean that service port, you will see grease because its all flung to the outside of the joint, poke a q-tip in there, see if there is a void, and fill as necessary
That makes sense. I can only assume my own ignorance would be the problem. Thanks for the tip!

I use a black zip-tie to clean the hole and check the level...it makes me feel more tactical.
If tacticool is what we're going for than I'm gonna use one of my 223 rounds next time, it'll be a perfect fit. I got a tube of moly in each one. Got pretty full. So I'm gonna take it out for a few drives this weekend then inspect it afterwards. Thanks for the help guys

I hope that works. If not some people use lotion or cocoanut oil. :grinpimp:

Check your diff level. If it's low, you won't get any of the birf soup to leak out onto your balls.
Good to know. Does it take driving around for them to get lubed up or just time?

Don't overfill the knuckle either.
It's hard to really tell since it's so tacky. I'm hoping that it'll settle more overnight and if there's no change I'll drive around the block and check to see if the levels are good.

Very sound advice all around. But know this:

Some balls are held for charity, and some for fancy dress.
But balls that are made for steering are the ones that I like best.

My balls are always turning to left or to the right.
It's my belief that my big balls should be greased every night.

Hilux got big balls. 4Runner got big balls.
But we have the biggest balls of them all.

Very sound advice all around. But know this:

Some balls are held for charity, and some for fancy dress.
But balls that are made for steering are the ones that I like best.

My balls are always turning to left or to the right.
It's my belief that my big balls should be greased every night.

Hilux got big balls. 4Runner got big balls.
But we have the biggest balls of them all.
ZZ Top would give you a standing ovation for this.

When you say you have an entire 'tube' in each knuckle...is that a grease gun 'tube' or one of the hand squeeze tubes used when refreshing a knuckle?

Not saying you have anything to worry about, but I'd be curious what your diff fluid looks like after a hundred miles or so. Mine told an unpleasant story after I topped off the knuckles with moly (~1/2 grease gun tube per side), but now I know what to expect when I do the knuckles...sometime soon in warmer temps.

When you say you have an entire 'tube' in each knuckle...is that a grease gun 'tube' or one of the hand squeeze tubes used when refreshing a knuckle?

Not saying you have anything to worry about, but I'd be curious what your diff fluid looks like after a hundred miles or so. Mine told an unpleasant story after I topped off the knuckles with moly (~1/2 grease gun tube per side), but now I know what to expect when I do the knuckles...sometime soon in warmer temps.
Grease gun tube. They looked practically empty when I checked the levels. It's not my daily driver so I'll take it on small runs and check the levels each time. I'll post pictures later today of the levels as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom