1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Bit Baffling?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Bradass80, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Bradass80

Bradass80

My 92 FJ-80 is my daily driver and when i tried to drive it to my buddies house this evening i quickly noticed that my brakes were not working after pulling out of the driveway, with out any warning they are now gone, i have an air/fuel ratio gauge and at the same time my brakes went out it now reads an extreme lean condition, the engine idles rough and i have a belt squeeling, ALL OF THIS HAPPENING ALL OF A FING SUDDEN, WTF, i have no brake leaks and the fluid is full, fuses were all good upon inspection, it has 196,000 miles and WAS running fine, come on i have never heard of this before even in a j**p :-X, whatcha think, Brad.

2. Jesse

Jesse

Could they be related, if your engine is running lean and your brakes dont work i would assume a serious vacuum leak could cause this right. I dont know much about the 80 series and how much the computer can compensate but that is what i would look for.
    Good Luck
    Jesse

3. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

?Vacuum leak? See if the vacuum hose popped off the brake booster. That's the only way I could see the engine problems tied to the brake failure. I hope the fix is an easy one.

4. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

I'm assuming that you mean no power assist rather than no brakes as in pedal goes completely to the floor. That would indicate a big vacuum leak. You didn't forget to put the oil cap back and that oil hasn't flung out onto the belts?

5. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Sounds like you lost your booster. Plug up the big hose to it and then try it. With no boost the brakes will be very hard to operate.

6. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Agreed,

Vacuum leak, large. Possible brake booster failure.

7. Bradass80

Bradass80

I'll go check the booster vacuum line, the oil fill cap was definitly not left open, and you're right on the no assist on the brakes, they work but it takes me standing on the brake pedal and 30' to stop my truck when only going 5mph, thanks for all of the speedy replies guys, Brad.

8. Landpimp

Landpimp

booster is gone :( or check the check valve on the booster, its the white thing where the hose goes into the booster, pull it out and make sure its working, but its prolly a bad booster. Try NIX99 for a used one, I got one for $100 from them a few years ago.

[quote author=Bradass80 link=board=2;threadid=11494;start=msg104849#msg104849 date=1076775507]
    I'll go check the booster vacuum line, the oil fill cap was definitly not left open, and you're right on the no assist on the brakes, they work but it takes me standing on the brake pedal and 30' to stop my truck when only going 5mph, thanks for all of the speedy replies guys, Brad.
    [/quote]

9. Bradass80

Bradass80

Who is NIX99, I didn't see that name in the user list, TIA, Brad.

10. DanKunz

DanKunz SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    sounds like a booster..I lost mine on my 91 and had the same thing

I think C-dan still has one in inventory ;)

Easy way to check is to verify no vacuum hose issues, then turn on truck, get down to the pedal and hit it with ear really close....

listen and feel for a suckin sound.

Do this in cab and in engine compartment.

good luck bro...it is pricey to replace, but easy to bolt up.

11. Landpimp

Landpimp

a Toyota only wrecking yard in WA
    http://www.nix99.com/

they got a crap load of 91-2 fj80's.

[quote author=Bradass80 link=board=2;threadid=11494;start=msg104867#msg104867 date=1076778868]
    Who is NIX99, I didn't see that name in the user list, TIA, Brad.
    [/quote]

12. cruiserdan

I do have a new one in stock. :)

13. Landpimp

Landpimp

I bet is in the $800ish neigborhood ;)

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=11494;start=msg104885#msg104885 date=1076780733]
    I do have a new one in stock. :)
    [/quote]

14. cruiserdan

44610-60620, List $780.48

15. Bradass80

Bradass80

Well it is the booster that is bad, i don't understand what makes them just suddenly go out like that? Thanks for the offer CDAN, but i can't justify spending that so i'll go for a used one or the NAPA one is $250, are these things interchangeable with any year 80 series or just 91-92, as far as the install goes do you just unbolt the master from the booster and swap them out or is this more difficult than that, thanks again for all of the help guys, once again this site has proven to be priceless, Brad.

16. cruiserdan

91-92 only.

DanKunz recently replaced his booster, he may have some insight for you.

17. Bradass80

Bradass80

Dan Kunz I sent you a pm, Brad.

18. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

A brake booster is just a big diaphram. Through the middle is a rod with a disk on it. With the brake pedal off the disk allows both sides of the diaphram to equalize at the engines vacuum. When you depress the pedal the disk closes the hole at the diaphram and also opens a hole on the drivers side of the diaphram. Now you have vacuum on the front haplf and atmosphere on the rear which helps assist in pedal pressure.

You developed a hole in the diaphram which now leaks outside.

19. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

[quote author=Bradass80 link=board=2;threadid=11494;start=msg105012#msg105012 date=1076798497]
    Well it is the booster that is bad, i don't understand what makes them just suddenly go out like that? Thanks for the offer CDAN, but i can't justify spending that so i'll go for a used one or the NAPA one is $250, are these things interchangeable with any year 80 series or just 91-92, as far as the install goes do you just unbolt the master from the booster and swap them out or is this more difficult than that, thanks again for all of the help guys, once again this site has proven to be priceless, Brad.
    [/quote]

Brad, I do not know if this advice will prove to be priceless but for whatever its worth, I would not recommend going to the mcparts places for rebuilt parts. Yes, they typically have some limited lifetime replacement warranty but to me that translates to: "as often as you want to remove and replace this part, we'll give you another replacement to play with for while." I learned this lesson the hard way on my 4Runner; almost every part I replaced with rebuilt from some parts place had to be r&r 'ed at least twice. This took so much of my time that I fiqured that these things actually cost me more money than the OEM equivalents. No joke, I removed and replaced my radiator over four times, my alternator twice, my starter so many times that eventually I just took my old OEM starter and did the contacts myself. Yes, every time I brought back the stinkin things, they would smile and replace but man that gets real old real fast. I realize that the sticker shock of an OEM part is sometimes scary but if I were you, I'd go with CruiserDan and avoid a mountain of migraines down the road. Just an opinion. Hope it helps.

20. Landpimp

Landpimp

almost all Toyota Land Cruiser boosters interchange, thebolt pattern for the firewall side is the same as in the master cylinder side. I would think that a booster off a 93+ would work just fine, actaully I am pretty confident is will work. One thing that might differ is the lenght of the rod...but on a 80 I expect they are all the same, yes the part # might not be the same but they should swap.

Just get a used OEM booster. Like i mentioned I got mine from NIX 99, been working fine for many years.

FWIW you do not need to drain the master, just unbolt it and move it to the side, booster is VERY easy to replace. take maybe 30min