A big thanks to @toyotamatt - 3fe Plug and play temp sensor fix step by step instructions and pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EscapeWagon62

SILVER Star
Threads
What a great supporting vendor.
I had purchased some parts from him and got myself in a bit of a bind (poor installation on my part)
Reached out to @ToyotaMatt on Sunday evening. Within a half hour he got back to me, walked me through how to undo my mistake and walked me through how to do it right.
OEM parts and great service….
Who Could ask for Anything More

For background - My engine started to bog down if I applied throttle. Very unnerving as it happened as I was leaving a store hopping onto a busy road. Threw check engine light which turned out to be CEL 22 - water temp sensor.
I also ordered a new cold start injector timing switch as the rig needed either a really, long crank or two successive cranks to get going.

Last edited:
OK - I ordered a temp sensor and cold start injector timing switch from @ToyotaMatt
Took some photos along the way.
Pretty straight forward to do the updated plug and play harness connectors (I’ve never done one before)
Your normal set of socket wrenches, a harness pin removal tool or eyeglass screwdriver (or you can cut off the old harness connector but cut the wires very close to the harness as there isn't a ton of extra slack) and some wire strippers aee all thats needed. I ended up draining out about a gallon of antifreeze.

Tips:
Put a bucket on top of an oil drip pan under the vehicle, its a but of a waterfall once you pull the sensor out of the thermostat housing
Jack up the front of the car (which I didnt do. That will limit your coolant losses
When you cut off the old pin connectors (or if you just cut the wires close to the narness, put the light blue rubber stoppers on the wire BEFORE you strip the wire ends. I forgot to do this on one of the wires and had to spin the light blue stopper on but ended up having to remove the small nipple end to get it to work.
You only need tp strip 1/8 of an inch on the wire ends when connecting the new pins for the harness. The kit Matt sends has three pin connectors in case you mangle one of them. If you look at my 4th photo in this post and photo @ in my ext post you will see that part of the pin connector crimps onto the wire cover, the other part crimps tp the wire itself.

1DC93C6D-4CCF-4670-A315-6FC28C423DB3.jpeg

875EFC71-8957-4695-A4DD-69856E218F9D.jpeg

4A577C1A-158F-4AD0-A986-F7946604B50B.jpeg

D2E1B275-6246-459B-8E60-D2CE10B283BA.jpeg

308E80D6-9B94-46D3-B322-383CCC559CE8.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ll post up tomorrow with the test drive results.
Wife was done with me tinkering today. I assume it will fix the issue as I threw check engine code 22.
I replaced the cold start injector timer since I was in there anyway plus I plan on sending my cold start injector off for cleaning once the salt hits the roadways out here (I had my injectors done previously but for some reason I didn't send the cold start one when I did)

Those little silicon rubber seals you want to have pushed into the connectors themselves. Those are what create the weatherproof seal. The Delphi Weather Pack connectors used by GM have very similar seals with them that actually get crimped into place with the terminal. I use Weather Pack stuff whenever I can.

Those little silicon rubber seals you want to have pushed into the connectors themselves. Those are what create the weatherproof seal. The Delphi Weather Pack connectors used by GM have very similar seals with them that actually get crimped into place with the terminal. I use Weather Pack stuff whenever I can.

This, and what did you use to crimps those? An proper open-barrel style crimper is well worth it even for one repair like this. There are several good inexpensive ones

Thank you
First time doing this type of work and appreciate the heads up

This, and what did you use to crimps those? An proper open-barrel style crimper is well worth it even for one repair like this. There are several good inexpensive ones
Well…..I just used the end of my wire strippers but now that you mention a specific tool…looks like I’ll add it to my shopping list

Last edited:
Well…..I just used the end of my wire strippers but now that you mention a specific tool…looks like I’ll add it to my shopping list
Those specialized crimping tools aren't cheap for a good one, but they're worth their weight in yellow zinc if you do much electrical work.

I’ll go hide now.

I’ve not been home for the last two months, I only ask questions on mud and day dream.

Last edited:
My rig rides again - thanks @ToyotaMatt
No more bogging down under throttle when the engine is warm.
No more check engine lights
And whether it was a properly functioning water temp sensor or the replaced cold start injector timing switch…..it starts better/faster with fewer cranks.

On to my next adventure thanks for the comments/advice above.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom