A better center console option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you still get to the e-brake with it like that? I don't use mine much, but when I do use it I really need it!

Let me throw this at you for some ideas. I'm wanting a secure location for my side arm and other valuables. Tuffy consoles are a bit pricy and I have as yet seen a decent looking install on a 80.
SNIP

You may have missed pics of my Tuffy install, as it was in the Electronics forum. Not gonna say it's beautiful, but it works for me. Here's the link, with pics down the page a little way.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/anyone-ever-install-a-cb-in-a-tuffy.333965/

The :princess: and I had a 99 Concord 7 or 8 years ago and I am thinking that there were rubber inserts that lined the cup holders, I think

If I install rubber bolstering now, like the Kia example shown on an earlier page, it won't be able to handle the larger cups. What I need is a removable insert. Maybe I should hit up a Dodge/Chrysler dealership and see if that's an option.

Thanks for the info.

You may have missed pics of my Tuffy install...

Actually, I did see that, but a Tuffy console isn't in the budget for me right now.

Part of the issue with this arm rest as a console/cup holder solution is that in its intended resting position, its angled up slightly. To account for this Chrysler wisely adjusted the cup holders accordingly. Unfortunately in this application it leads to the cup holders leaning forward a bit, which is why my coffee mug tends to lean, then fall, forward when braking. Again, not necessarily a deal breaker, just an observation I wanted to point out.

image.jpg

That being said, they worked out well on a 80+ mile round trip today.

Last edited:
So I've decided I'm going to modify this arm rest/cup holder to fit my needs better. I want deeper cupholders that "hug" my liquid vessels a bit better. More specifically I want not cup holders on the passenger side of the arm rest to A. Make more room for my arm to rest and B. Prevent interference with shifting duties, however minor that interference is. And, yes, the interference has already become a nuisance.

This will reduce the volume of the storage space in the cup holder, but since I will have full access to the factory console space, I'm not concerned about that whatsoever.

Since I'm modifying it so drastically, including custom fiberglass work, I plan to recover it in a fabric similar to the brown fabric in the door arm rest at the same time.

Main body disassembled
image.jpg

Arm pad section disassembled
image.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up a couple of cup holders from a Kia Rio (don't recall what year...) to integrate into my setup. I like the way they fit the larger cup. They're not great for my coffee mug, but my plan is to make a custom cup holder for that.

IMG_5737.JPG

IMG_5738.JPG

IMG_5739.JPG

IMG_5741.JPG

I've decided to go fully custom so I won't be posting in this thread anymore since it's so far removed from the original intention. I'll start a new thread with my new idea once I have something to show. Hint: It includes 4 deep cup holders :smokin:

I've thought about that. I have no idea how much work it would be to move the hand brake, or where to move it to so I'm taking what appears to be the easier route.

Talking to local fabricator - he indicates he can move the hand-brake easily using Toyota 4Runner 'stalk' . I'll let you know how it goes. Once moved I'll be fabricating a custom console to fit all that space.

I would also be all over the 4-runner style handbrake. I've got a JDM truck converted to left hand drive, but haven't moved the handbrake over yet

"If" the hand-brake could be rerouted to another spot (under steering wheel to the right or maybe a foot pedal) then that opens up a Whole lotta run for enhancements, custom mods, systems from other trucks etc.
However never managed to get anyone that has done this.
OK - managed to get it moved like I wanted. Local fabricator guy managed it ok and used 4Runner parts and exits out thru floor using normal toyota grommet that seals properly (will find out later)

empty_ebrake_1_email.jpg ebrake_1_email.jpg ebrake_2_email.jpg brake_exist_underneath_email.jpg cables_underneath_email.jpg

Next step is to take out the console, measure and design a new custom console. Planning on lock-box/hidden on bottom, armrest, map holder, switch holders, 1-2 inverters in there, 120v, 12v, usb, connectors ... any other suggestions?

Is that the style that is a pull lever under the dash?
Yes

Eric, Its a standard on certain SUV's (at least older Toyota 4Runners and likely some others). You just pull it up and then you twist to the right and then lower it back down to release it.

Console out. Was thinking of replacing cover around gear lever but thing I'll leave that and just put extra switches in there. Someone has a link recently with a switch bank they mod'ed onto the far 'back' wall of that -- in mine its where the 'wood' veneer is. Anyone?
So building a basic box structure (same length), wider (by cupholder that was above ebrake), taller by approx 3" and maybe with a fold-down 'armrest' for PS (wife) where she is lower down in the seat. Will need to figure some (likely pull-out) cupboards (maybe from the foldable lid). Will have locking section and inverters (110v, 12v, usb etc.)
Should be some design+build (will do cardboard mockup 1st) by next week.
Pics with console out (wires are my extra ones from lots of wiring I did when redid flooring to fusebox/relays under DS seat)
Has Quietcrap and heat insulation as well.
empty_console_space_email6.jpg empty_console_space_email1.jpg empty_console_space_email2.jpg empty_console_space_email3.jpg empty_console_space_email4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom