A 4BD1T for Ellinor, and Some Other Projects (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
"Quick" back story... I've had my Feb '87 FJ60 since December 2017. I was on a deployment overseas and asked a good friend in Washington to find something that I could overland/daily drive. He did an amazing job finding and fixing her up! I got back December 1st, hung out with him and his family for a bit, and left on the 2nd for South Carolina (new orders). My wife Cassie (girlfriend at the time) and I drove the 60 (Ellinor) across country with almost zero problems (the exhaust fell off from the cat back and the clutch master was leaking into the cab). Overall though, we were very impressed with how well the 60 did on the trip! And Cassie still married me after an adventure like that!

My intention from the start was to swap the 2F and H42 for a diesel and a 5 speed. I was leaning toward a 4BT until I came across the 4BD1T and the success that a few of you have had with it. So a few months ago I found a decent '90 4BD1T and took the plunge. I haven't made much progress, but the engine is torn down and ready to be cleaned, painted, and reassembled. I still need to send the injectors out for testing, but everything else looks great. I'm not planning on re-sleeving the cylinders as they look to have little to no wear (I'll post pictures later to get some opinions).

Sorry for the long initial post, but I love this truck and could talk about her all day if you let me! I think I'm in the right place though ;) I look forward to all of the input and advice along the way. I know that there's a ton of experience on the site! So, thanks in advance.

Jason

I'm looking forward to the build, and know you will get solid answers to any questions you post.

Get going!!!

Just off the truck and ready for it's new home on the motor stand. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a whole NPR truck for a reasonable price, so I had to settle for the just the engine. I don't really have room for a delivery truck anyways. I'll figure out the missing parts and pieces as I go.

I opted for the 1T over the 2T for a couple reasons, but mostly because of the direct inject and, from what I could gather, there's slightly better clearance from the oil pan to the front axle when it's installed. I'm currently sitting on a 2.5" OME heavy lift, and I don't want to go much higher. My wife is only 5' 2" and already curses me every time she has to climb the mountain to get in. Rock sliders are in my future...

I didn't realize until a little after I bought the engine, but it looks to have emissions settings that adhere to California "standards". From what I've read, this can be overcome be re-timing the IP. Any ideas or inputs there?

All stripped down and pieces scattered (in an orderly fashion) around the garage. It needs a good scrub down and a couple coats of paint. The oil pan is dented and there were a couple bolts that snapped when I took it all apart, but other than that, it's seems be mechanically sound. I ordered the engine off of eBay from a guy in Indiana. He said it came off of a truck that had a bent frame, but ran fine before it was pulled. Time will tell...

My current plan forward is to send off the injectors to clean and test, and to order a seal kit to put everything back together.

Trying to decide which variant of NV4500 I want, but I'm currently learning toward a '95 or newer GM (if anyone else has experience or input I gladly welcome it). Also going to depend on availability.

I was a little worried about being able to find an adapter to go between the Isuzu and the transmission, but it seems that DieselTim is still active and making kits (fingers crossed!).

I was going to keep my split transfer case, but I recently picked up a 62 parts truck and am opting to use the TC from that drive train. Because I can get the complete driveline together without having to put Ellinor out of commission, and the favorable bearing from the 62 TC.

Good call on the 62 transfer case. Look up the mods needed to convert it to manual shift 4WD.
Look into a hydroboost conversion as well.
@FL cruiser @bluehawk and @doug720 are great 4BD1/2 swap resources.
Thanks for your service and Welcome to Mud :flipoff2:

Hydroboost is definitely on my list of things to look into. I like not having to change out the brake booster, but I think I like the idea of not relying on/being able to freely upgrade the alternator.

Congrats on the 60 diesel build and thanks for you service. I went the 4BT route. Having some issues with the NV-4500 and shifting I hope to get figured out next week. I just got it titled this week. My buddy Matt is dropping that same Isuzu in a S-10 SOA build. He got the motor from a friend. The motor hasn’t ran in awhile but he’s thinking positive. I’ll be watching.

I went with the 95 up GM along with the GM bell housing. There's no provisions for a clutch fork or external slave, but that's alright. The GM internal slave works very well. Even with a 12" clutch, pedal pressure is as light as a Corolla. Never a leak, failure or even an adjustment in 14 years. It changed my opinion on internal slaves.

You probably don't want to change the timing. The difference between non and emission models is the spring and (maybe push pin?) in the governor area that's on the fuel rack. It restricts fueling at low RPM. On the 4BD2 there is a simple mod that can be done. You can make a tiny sleeve that goes over the spring that pushes the fuel rail. Maybe the same mod can be done on the 4BD1? On 4BT Swaps.com someone posted the mod in the Isuzu area. You could probably search the archives and find pictures. I do have the dimensions if interested.

Just re-read above posts. I see you're looking at the Diesel Tim setup. IIRC it uses the Isuzu bell housing. It's probably best to verify with him if the kit is setup for the GM-NV4500 or Dodge NV4500 as the Dodge has a longer input shaft. If you already know this, forgive me for stating the obvious.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely take a closer look before playing with the timing. I'd really like to over come those settings though. I'll gladly take the dimensions for that sleeve, if you have them handy.

Another question that I saw floating around a while ago was about running dual flywheels for better idle characteristics. I also remember reading something about specific adapter kits that incorporate a heavier flywheel? If running the dual flywheel, is it possible to just use the flex plate from the automatic version (that came with my engine) as the first weight?

I run the dual flywheels with my set up - 4BD2+Chevota bell housing+H55.

My current set up uses a Isuzu Swappers adapter(Which are no longer made), a stock 4BD2 manual flywheel, a chevy aluminum flywheel, and a chevota clutch with all stock clutch slave and master. It works well.

I did not know when I did the swap that extra flywheel mass would be good. I was worried the double would be too heavy. Turns out more is better.

On my new engine, when I build it...It will be mostly same set up, except for:

1) I bought Dustin's - Almarus Machines old style adapter setup. This is all steel, and locates in the crank id. He also has adapters for the stock Isuzu auto trans flywheel or the manual flywheel. This time, I'm using the auto trans flywheel and a steel chevy flywheel. As I recall, this will add around 17 28 pounds of mass. I think he sells both adapters.

2) Same chevota clutch, slave and master

3) Same chevota bell housing.

The 4BD1/2's are hard to stall stock, and very smooth with little vibration. The current double flywheel is a little heavier than stock. My new engine will be even better. I think the extra weight will make it the swap even better.

Here is my current set up.

IMG_5217.JPG

IMG_5218.JPG

IMG_5220.JPG

IMG_5221.JPG

Last edited:
I emailed Tim on Friday, and I'm waiting to hear back. I plan to see what his set-up supports before I make any decisions.

Also, I'd rather you post something that I may already know than keeping it to yourself. I've done some research, but I'm far from knowing everything. And someone else reading through may be discovering it for the first time (like I've done on countless occasions).

I corrected the above post. My new set up will add an additional 28 pounds of rotating mass the billet steel chevy flywheel, new adaptor and BBD2 auto flywheel. I had to go look it up.

I have one of these engines with a older style gm automatic adapter plate. Debating if I will rebuild it and use it or not. I have a rebuild kit too and 4bd1t head that can be used with it. I am thinking of maybe using the 4bd2t injection pump maybe or at least testing it out would be nice to have a boost compensator. (i think ?) I also have a super hx30 turbo. I bought this engine years ago a was going to pay to have it rebuilt but no one would rebuild it for less than 9k so I have been studying how to rebuild engines and may rebuild it my self. only a few more tools to get. The injection pump is what confused me the most very expensive to even get tested and calibrated proper. mine is a 1980 year so not one of the best years which is why I haven't been too keen on setting this up.

Also I have drove a swap with this engine I would really love to have a 6l80 transmission if at all possible. I dream of being able to have a engine with a transmission gear ratio with a 4.1 1st gear and ending in something like .70 across 6 gears.

Now the real question is are you going to stroke yours or not? tor made a 4.7 stroker 4bd1t years ago but only teased us with a short video clip and no parts list of what crank/rods/pistons he used. J/K I know this is not practical.

Good luck with build and enjoy. Waiting to see your intercooler and turbo setup

No plans to modify the engine right now. I'm really just wanting to get it running right and in the truck. So re-seal and test the injectors. The fact that's she's my daily driver, I want something that's reliable and tested. If it was a weekend offroader I might play around with the idea of stroking the engine.

Yeah i was just kidding about that seems unpractical.

Are you going to use the z28 springs in the head if so I will split the cost with you since only half are needed?

One thing I was going to ask you is if you had put any thought into using a isuzu transmission these seem like not too much trouble once the parts are sourced proper. Ratios seem better than nv4500. This website has some good reading Bushie Ute. This transmission work proper with a atlas transfercase.

MXA-6R (I don't know year).
1st 4.987:1
2nd 2.870:1
3rd 1.684:1
4th 1.000:1
5th 0.728:1
6th 0.626:1
rev 4.774:1

Last edited:
As most Isuzu trucks are cab over wheel models, the transmissions are shifter with cables. There is a guy in Australia who makes a conversion kit to direct shift, but it was over $1400.00 USD.

I takes me forever to decide on what I want. Usually because I'm looking at my options. When I do end up making up my mind, I try to stick with my plan or I end up never finishing because I fight with myself over every little detail as it's going back together. I love the ideas, keep them coming. But I think I'm going to stick with the stock 4BD1T and NV4500 for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom