A 22RE injector problem I had (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was having trouble with my 87 4Runner. It is the 22re with the std transmission. Prior to a trip to Colorado, I replaced the timing chain, gears and guides with an Eng. Builder kit, and replaced the wires with OEM wires. After running well around home (Texas) for around a week, we hauled the Runner to Colorado where after a day of driving it developed a miss. I pulled the wires and found that it was on #1. The plug was getting spark. I moved the plug to see if the miss followed the plug. It did not. I checked compression and have 150 lbs on #1. We limped it back to camp and changed all the plugs, the rotor and the cap. When we changed plugs, we noticed that the plugs were all very white like they were running lean. To me it seemed that the problem was injector related because of haveing spark and compression but no power on #1. The Runner would sometimes run fine while in Colorado and sometimes miss from then on. It would seem to "catch" when I would run it up to over 3500 rpms in 1st and then run sometimes run good for a time.

When we got home I sent some injectors that I had from another 22re to Witchhunter and had them cleaned and rebuilt. I installed them and still no bueno. I spoke with a Toyota mechanic here locally and he said that if it were a problem with the wiring for the injectors then it would effect 2 cylinders instead of 1.

Well, thanks to Roger Brown, I think that I might have fond the problem. Something that didn't show up in any of the searches that I did all over the place.

I got the injectors back from WitchHunter (thanks!!!!) and insalled them, fired her up and dammit to hell it was still missing. Run it down the road and no bueno at all.

Emailed Roger and he promptly got back with me. Short and sweet:

Might check the injector wire splices:

http://www.4crawler.com/Photos/Misc/BrokenInjectorSplice.jpg
http://www.4crawler.com/Photos/Misc/InjectorWiring22RE.jpg

4x4Wire's TrailTalk Forums: Fuel injection problems
4x4Wire's TrailTalk Forums: *UPDATE - FINALLY DONE!* Some Q's re: injector splices....

Pulled my plenum off and started cutting into the harness and the further I went I started finding moisture. The harness is (or was) completely unmolested except for the a/c wire coming out of it. When I found the injector hot wires, this is what I found:

102_1745.jpg

102_1746.jpg

Corroded but not seperated.

Next I started looking for the ground wires and found them a few inches further up the harness. Holy s***!!!!

102_1747.jpg

Time to get the soldering iron out!!!

After soldering the wires and rewrapping the harness all is well. The truck is back to running excellent.

Thought that I would plst this up in case anyone els has a similar problem.

Last edited:
Junky Toyotas . . . the harnesses are so poorly sealed that a bare wire only takes 22 years to corrode :rolleyes:

Good info though - did you use any "liquid electrical tape" or RTV to help seal those up before you wrapped them?

Nope just soldered them, heat shrink and high quality electrical tape.

Yeah, the wire splices are a common issue. However, I never hear about them in older 22re's-seem to be an early harness issue.

I had the same exact problem when I converted my '86 truck over to EFI. Now that I think about it, the donor rig was an '87 4Runner.:hmm::)

Dave,

Was your computer throwing any codes prior to the fix?

Thanks,
Ken

No codes at all.

thanks dave now i have to pull back my harness and check. well i guess i will have to buy that harness wrap from painless. damn the wife is going to be mad.

I think that you can get by with using some cheaper hard plastic wrap and seal the wires up good before you put the plastic wrap and then tape it up like they do from the factory.

Man am I glad I found this thread... having the exact same problem with my 87 Runner on spark #2, tried everything and have been ripping my hair out over it... Only difference with mine is that it misses primarily when it's raining, sometimes on damp days with low atmospheric pressure. Could those things be affecting the same harness? Either way, definitely going to try this.

This is a common problem. Many, many years ago I had the same issue. Took the truck to the dealer and they fixed it. Same problem, splices to the injectors had come apart. I just happen to be in the harness yesterday and checked out their fix. They used butt splices. Not the way I would have fixed it, but shoot, it's held up for at least 15 years, and probably closer to 20 years.

Hi guys, I'm having this exact same issue. Only #4 cylinder getting nothing at all. Good spark at wire and plug. Just swapped rail and injector. Tearing into the forbidden spaghetti now. God I hope this works

@yotadude520 the engine harness in the red truck was completely unwrapped, all connections were cleaned and soldered, and re-wrapped with tape, for precisely this reason. Sorry it's not OEM tape. :p

@yotadude520 the engine harness in the red truck was completely unwrapped, all connections were cleaned and soldered, and re-wrapped with tape, for precisely this reason. Sorry it's not OEM tape. :p

Disappointing Ken, I expected OEM NOS 1987 Toyota electrical tape....guess I gotta put her up for sale now... :hillbilly:

Disappointing Ken, I expected OEM NOS 1987 Toyota electrical tape....guess I gotta put her up for sale now... :hillbilly:

I'll give ya $100, take it off your hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom