Builds A 13 Year Old and His Future '76 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a dad of 4 kids. Since my first son was born, I planned on someday, when the time was right, to rebuild a car chosen by that child. For me, that time has come.

My oldest son is 13, and he has looked forward to the day that we could start working on his car together. Although maybe a year or so premature, he decided that he wanted a 70's FJ 40 for his project, and it so happened that a family friend who has owned his for 30 years was willing to send it to a good home.

So this past weekend, we hauled this '76 FJ from Colorado to it's new home in Heber City Utah.

Here's the thing, although I certainly have some limited experience in mechanics (I rebuild a '69 Mustang as a kid), as I read through all the Mudder projects over the past few months, I'm quickly realizing that I don't have an fraction of the knowledge about how to tackle this project compared to others! To say I feel overwhelmed is an understatement:)

So I'm hoping that you guys can get me started on the right foot. Before I remove, grind, or replace anything, I am taking the next couple of months with my son to ensure that he understand how the truck works, what the different parts of the engine are, etc. So that gives me a couple months to really outline a rebuild strategy (hopefully with your help)

Here are some things I know for sure.

1) I want to replace the tub with an Aluminum one.
2) I want to install a power steering pump.
3) I want to keep the original 2F engine.

Outside of that, anything is up for discussion.

So knowing that on a scale of 10, I'm probably a 4 on the mechanically inclined scale, and knowing that my primary purpose is to spend some quality time with my son, what would be your rebuild strategy. What would you do, what would you have someone else do? What are the "musts" in a rebuild, and what are the "would be nice, but not necessary" items? Although cost is always a factor, I'd love to hear recommendations not taking price into consideration (of course I'm not looking to build an ICON, or anything like that.) Basically if there are items that you would say are a "must do", but require a mechanic level 7, then I'd love to know that and plan on having a mechanic do that for me.

Thanks Mud community!

26259.jpeg

Last edited:
Make it drive, steer, and stop straight first and enjoy for a while. Have him help make a plan.

Lucky boy and good looking cruiser there!

Why swap the tub? I see some crusties but nothing horrible. More filler than it shows?

Make it drive, steer, and stop straight first and enjoy for a while. Have him help make a plan.

Lucky boy and good looking cruiser there!

Why swap the tub? I see some crusties but nothing horrible. More filler than it shows?
It actually doesn't have any filler, but the rear right corner has some significant rot...

Just curious. That panel is available and a whole lot less involved and $ than a body swap (esp when you add paint) Plus id venture to say if value is in mind the original body will be worth more in the end depending on direction of build.

Just curious. That panel is available and a whole lot less involved and $ than a body swap (esp when you add paint) Plus id venture to say if value is in mind the original body will be worth more in the end depending on direction of build.
I'll have to look into the panels..maybe that would be a better way to go?

I agree with taking care of safety stuff first. Rebuild suspension brakes, steering, seat belts, etc. As an alternative to PS, consider stock wheels or 16" steelies with a skinny tire, or go with electric PS. I am running the 16" (see my build thread in signature) and have no need for PS.

Break it down into categories and tackle them one at a time. Post up some more detail pics and we can break the wallet faster! What a great project!

The body looks pretty good to me. I'd think hard about fixing what you have instead of an aluminum tub.

My younger son and I resurrected a 40 about 18 years ago. He still has a Cruiser (he's owned several), and we still go wheeling.

Looks like a good start with that truck... with the noncruiser color it was done over at least once before... and what looks like bondo on the front fender i’d dig around

The rear panels could have already been replaced... not that that’s a bad thing ... but... you want to poke around

Looks also like OME rear springs ... can’t really see the front one...

You should post up LOTS more pics for us to evaluate what you got :)

But as of right now I can tell you you got a good truck to start with and since you came to get a 40 and not a heep your already teaching our boy well... orrrr did he teach u by asking for the cruiser ? Lol

:)

Welcome to mud

When he’s ready sign him up on mud as well ... make it a team effort

Btw I too have 4 kids ... being out numbered is challenging at times :meh:

Very nice! Like others have said, start with getting it running and stopping safely. Drive it a bit and figure out what exactly you want to do with it. Power steering is nice, but can certainly be added down the line. With stock or slightly oversized tires, manual steering isn't that bad.

For the record, I have both welded in new panels and swapped a 3/4 aluminum tub. Welding in new panels is MUCH easier and less involved than swapping in a tub. I'd choose that route any day if the steel is salvageable.

Fix the easy stuff first, and as your skills advance, tackle the bigger projects. You have the time, so don't get in a rush. Ask lots of questions, post lots of pics, and let the combined knowledge here assist whenever possible.

:cheers:

That picture tells a tale. I see you are close to Harbor freight. Get used to it, you will see that store a lot. Nice vehicle and a great one for a young man to learn on.

Just don’t tear it all the way down for your first cruiser. If your not careful, you and your son will be listing an incomplete project on Craigslist. It happens too often. But the great news is fix what you can and drive it. My 15 year old son helped me change out the shocks and bushings just the other weekend. Afterwards, we drove it around and could feel the difference. I am a fan of the one project at a time method to help keep his interest and mine. Not much kids want to do with their parents anymore but both of my kids love riding in the 40 and helping me with it. Btw I have skinny tires and really don’t need power steering.

It has been stated but once again Brakes, Steering fixed right then get it running.
My memories of working on cars as a kid was I would jump in and start taking things apart before I actually knew what I was doing.
A good lesson for your son and good practice for you would be sit back and think out each step as it comes before committing your self. It can save time and money in the long run.
For instance...Right away you are talking about a new tub. That should be low on the list of things to do. Try to do one step at a time and stick with it to the finish before starting the next step.
At 13 your son has a young mind that can grasp things faster that older people so put him to the task of figuring things out and let him do as much wrenching as possible.
If he sticks to it then you know it is what he wants and not what you want him to want.
There is plenty of written info and how to videos that if you take your time the two of you can get much done together and learn things mechanical as well as make some memories.
You have about three years. A lot can be accomplished in that time.

Welcome neighbor! Cruiser Outfitters in SL is a great local asset.

Looks like a great start - there's tons of small projects you can work on without tearing the whole thing down. Brakes, engine rebuild, painting that roof white again.... Definitely don't let a little body rust scare you away from enjoying it for awhile

When I brought mine home for the first time the PS wasn't plumbed up and I actually miss it, just something about manual steering just feels right :cool:

Oh and don't forget:
You should post up LOTS more pics for us to evaluate what you got :)
:popcorn:

As mentioned above, I'd suggest to get it back to a driver as often as possible in between projects. Awesome idea to spend time w/ your kids. Perhaps a family camping trip with it as soon as he can drive.

Good start. I did all that stuff with my son who’s now 27 and out on his own. Enjoy that time and savor it because it goes quick. The rear corners can be made also. There is a great thread on here about it. I’ve done it and it’s not hard. BTW I also miss being able to slide a new project by the wife by saying it’s for the son. Welcome to the addiction.

Welcome! That's a good looking 40.

You are going to get a lot of ideas, and help from the members here. A lot of them have forgotten more than I know about rebuilding vehicles.

I am with the people that say to get it running, stopping, and steering. Get a pressure washer an blast off the frame and underbody to assess any problems. Once you start tearing into it, the project can become a black hole that will suck up your time and money. You've got to trust me on that, as I've been there. And I have a very expensive education as a result of it.

Get it running and safe to drive. After a few thousand miles, decide what direction you want to go. Have plan, have a budget (both time and money), factor in a whole lot of cost overruns (both in time/money).

Here is a welcome gift and some valuable information to have:

EPC (Electronics Parts Catalog) - 1976 Toyota FJ40 (EPC)

Downloads courtesy of Mr. Trollhole - FJ40 Manuals

Enjoy the Ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom