Events/Trails 9th Annual 100s in the Hills *SILVERTON COLORADO* July 24-29 2019 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Btw, I picked up a Motorola t800, why?
It has a mapping tool (in conjunction with ur off grid cell phone) that allow tracking of other so equipped persons. Handy when certain parties like to wander off...
Those look very interesting.

A pair of midland FRS/GMRS walkie talkies are less than the cheapest CB & antenna combo and have better range and clarity. Its not really that big of an investment and all can use the FRS channels without a license.

I know some other types of radios can tune into the GMRS frequencies as well, although I wont recommend doing such as that may be against the FCC rules. The FRS/GMRS frequencies are listed below for informational purposes:
Midland-Frequency-Channel-Chart.jpg

I've been on an Alpine loop trip where the pack got separated and people where lost because the CB range is dreadful in the mountains and those in the back didn't hear the turns. Luckily, we were able to find them after a while and get moving again.

CB does okay on open roads, but I would be in favor of upgrading coms to a better format. I have CB, GMRS, and HAM in the truck and dropping CB altogether wouldn't bother me.

Last edited:
Just wondering, going thru the thread and seeing how people were put on the waitlist 2 minutes after this went live. Those of you who were put on the waitlist, how many of you actually converted over and how long after it going live did you go on the waitlist? I plan to sign up for this next year.

@paflytyer @bluecruiser HIH8 attendee...HIHX hopeful...100% on board with GMRS/HAM....my CB was set up professionally and still was hit and miss.

We converted about 10-12 from waitlist this year. There were 92 on waitlist at the peak, this year. The waitlist reached peak about 30 days after registration.

Next year, we will probably limit the waitlist size to ~30 or so, as it creates quite a bit of email back and forth providing waitlist status updates.

Like @paflytyer and I have always said, sure we could sell 250 spots, but the event would not have the feel that it currently does. This year we were right about 125 (with sponsors/vendors) and it felt like we reached max.

thx for your interest

Just wondering, going thru the thread and seeing how people were put on the waitlist 2 minutes after this went live. Those of you who were put on the waitlist, how many of you actually converted over and how long after it going live did you go on the waitlist? I plan to sign up for this next year.

I'll vote for GMRS as well. Seems to be a perfect solution for those that don't want to get a HAM license and are frustrated with poor CB quality. About to get a Midland MXT115 for myself.

I'll vote for GMRS as well. Seems to be a perfect solution for those that don't want to get a HAM license and are frustrated with poor CB quality. About to get a Midland MXT115 for myself.
Me too. Although I think I’m going with the MXT275 https://midlandusa.com/product/mxt275-micromobile-two-way-radio/ it looks like a direct replacement for the Midland CB I run now. All the way down to the mounting bracket and power plug.
I may just have to go on all your runs next year @geanes !

Me too. Although I think I’m going with the MXT275 https://midlandusa.com/product/mxt275-micromobile-two-way-radio/ it looks like a direct replacement for the Midland CB I run now. All the way down to the mounting bracket and power plug.
I may just have to go on all your runs next year @geanes !

I run the 275 it was phenomenal this year. also ran an upgraded antenna on a Massive Metal hood mount. We were in the park in moab talking to others in our group who were way down in town.

was there a biggest CB antenna award this year? I'm pretty sure @ga12r1 wins it ! his firestick was like a 7 footer! :rofl:

was there a biggest CB antenna award this year? I'm pretty sure @ga12r1 wins it ! his firestick was like a 7 footer! :rofl:
Yeah, it was a 7 footer:oops: I tuned it to below 1.5 on all channels before I left home and it still sucked!!! Talk about a let down:mad:

Love the water crossings this year!

860763F6-D8B2-4AF1-BB95-5F499BC801E5.jpeg

I have the mxt400 in my 100
and I have three of these to pass out on the trails.

We also use them on our farm to keep track of hunters during deer season and will probably buy some mxt275 to put in the polaris ranger and john deere cab. https://midlandusa.com/product/mxt275-micromobile-two-way-radio/

The 400 is the same unit I am considering. Wish it had NOAA radio channels and a PA so I could just ditch my CB. Guess I could keep one of the 1000vp4 in my truck for weather channels. It would be handy to have here on the ranch where we don't always have good cell service.

I'm not usually more than 1-1/2 to 2 miles from the house...but it would nice to have a reliable way to contact the Wifey if I needed to and when her phone is buried somewhere in the nether-regions of her purse.

can we talk about tires please? :)
I was really pleasantly surprised with how my Cooper AT3s did this year. They're not a very aggressive *looking* tire, but I had no notable traction issues. I don't really think the mild look translates to better MPGs, unfortunately, haha, but still, a decent tire. I'd definitely rather have something E rated with a higher ply sidewall, but I got a pretty sweet deal on these from @fireball (thanks man!)

Had Falken Wildpeak MT 285/75/16 last year and they did everything well. I now have 255/85/16 KM3's(just wanted to go tall skinny) and they do everything a little better than the Falkens but I think it is due to the change in size not the tire tread/compund. Tall skinny rules! (I'll bet Andy will regret bringing up tires...haha)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom