Events/Trails 9th Annual 100s in the Hills *SILVERTON COLORADO* July 24-29 2019 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like this unit...but would hate to give up the NOAA weather stations and P/A on my CB.

All micro mobile units have the NOAA weather station on them that’s way CLEARER than the CB’s. And I believe a few have PA functionality.

But the famous words of the little girl on the Old El Paso commercial come to mind: “Why dont we have both?”

D01C2AD2-9B2C-4CC0-8180-092FB5A5669A.jpeg

I wish there was a way we could do a poll to see how many attendees would be for or against moving to a new standard. I believe the overwhelming majority would be for it. CB is already pretty much required for the event but it’s obsolete and useless everywhere else. Heck, it’s almost useless at HIH.
When I had a short in my coax this year and had to run to Durango to get a replacement, one guy at an auto parts store laughed at me and said 1970 is calling and wants it’s radio back!:confused:
I ended up going to 3 auto parts stores, 1 rv parts store, and finally a specialty car audio shop before I found coax. After all that it still sucked on the trail.
Communication was the only bad part of HIH for me, and it should be one of the best parts . Listening to chatter between the guys, especially @bluecruiser and @paflytyer is awesome. It’s too bad that CB makes that difficult if not impossible sometimes.

You guys want to pay $70 for a GMRS license versus paying $15 and answering 21 out of 30 questions correctly? In some cases, you can test for free if you find the right club giving the test.

The HAM test is pretty easy. 10 year olds take it and pass. You can take practice tests on your phone for a week straight and get a passing score. There's no need to re-test and the license is good for 5 years.

It's tough to get clearer communications than HAM.

-end rant

1564631072460.jpeg

Yes- its the end of July .......

You guys want to pay $70 for a GMRS license versus paying $15 and answering 21 out of 30 questions correctly? In some cases, you can test for free if you find the right club giving the test.

The HAM test is pretty easy. 10 year olds take it and pass. You can take practice tests on your phone for a week straight and get a passing score. There's no need to re-test and the license is good for 5 years.

-end rant

Yes, but GMRS requires no testing, family members can piggyback on the control operators license (if they don't want to get their own).

HAM was intended (quite properly) to be a Technical Hobbist's radio. Too many folks these days quickly study the testing, regurgitate it in order to pass the test and in the process...learn little to nothing. IF that is done simply for sake of clearer, farther communication than CB, then to me GMRS makes more sense. Especially for infrequent users and 'groups' needing only communication over relatively short distances.

Both systems have their place and appeal.

All micro mobile units have the NOAA weather station on them that’s way CLEARER than the CB’s. And I believe a few have PA functionality.

But the famous words of the little girl on the Old El Paso commercial come to mind: “Why dont we have both?”

View attachment 2045816

I'll look into it further...but the model I posted and have interest in has neither function.

-end rant
Wouldn’t matter to me which way we went. If we could get rid of CB I would be up for adopting either one.

Yes, but GMRS requires no testing, family members can piggyback on the control operators license (if they don't want to get their own).

HAM was intended (quite properly) to be a Technical Hobbist's radio. Too many folks these days quickly study the testing, regurgitate it in order to pass the test and in the process...learn little to nothing. IF that is done simply for sake of clearer, farther communication than CB, then to me GMRS makes more sense. Especially for infrequent users and 'groups' needing only communication over relatively short distances.

Both systems have their place and appeal.

As long as the licensed operator is present, others can use the radio. If my wife is in the vehicle with me, she can talk on the radio if I'm busy.

I don't think the problem is people legitimately getting their license and just using it for trail communication. The real problem is guys buying a $30 radio on Amazon and talking on it all day without a license.

We had such an amazing time! Thank you so much @bluecruiser and @paflytyer another awesome event! My wife, kids and I had an great time as always. I've already placed an order with Trekboxx for one of those tailgate covers (I was really hoping to win one this year, but oh well). Hopefully we'll be able to go again next year!!

Field.jpg

Kids.jpg

Moose.jpg

Opening Night.jpg

Ophir.jpg

I'll look into it further...but the model I posted and have interest in has neither function.
My bad, I assumed all the micromobile radios had the same features. I run the MXT275 which does have the weather functionality. 15W of power suits me just fine, unless you need the range of the 40W model, the MXT275 might be a better option.

I wish there was a way we could do a poll to see how many attendees would be for or against moving to a new standard. I believe the overwhelming majority would be for it. CB is already pretty much required for the event but it’s obsolete and useless everywhere else. Heck, it’s almost useless at HIH.
When I had a short in my coax this year and had to run to Durango to get a replacement, one guy at an auto parts store laughed at me and said 1970 is calling and wants it’s radio back!:confused:
I ended up going to 3 auto parts stores, 1 rv parts store, and finally a specialty car audio shop before I found coax. After all that it still sucked on the trail.
Communication was the only bad part of HIH for me, and it should be one of the best parts . Listening to chatter between the guys, especially @bluecruiser and @paflytyer is awesome. It’s too bad that CB makes that difficult if not impossible sometimes.

My borrowed trash radio (CB) died the first morning of trails so I ran HAM the whole event without any issues. Enough of you are HAMs that it made it easy. Andy was my trail leader a couple times and went out of his way to make sure important things were repeated over HAM as well. Everyone was flexible. I was even talking to other attendees running nearby trails which added a whole different level of safety.

All that said it looks like GMRS is what off-road events/clubs are slowly moving to and I see its upside for the casual user!

View attachment 2045816
A lot of people do have both already . I do

My borrowed trash radio (CB) died the first morning of trails so I ran HAM the whole event without any issues. Enough of you are HAMs that it made it easy. Andy was my trail leader a couple times and went out of his way to make sure important things were repeated over HAM as well. Everyone was flexible. I was even talking to other attendees running nearby trails which added a whole different level of safety.

All that said it looks like GMRS is what off-road events/clubs are slowly moving to and I see its upside for the casual user!
Whats nice is that HAM radios can tune into the higher frequencies of GMRS radios. Thats what we ended up doing on our final runs. I was happy to turn the CB off.

Yikes...I guess I opened a can of GMRS worms! LOL.

Yikes...I guess I opened a can of GMRS worms! LOL.

No...no worms, just prompted some good discussion. I think for 'groups' needing communication over relatively short distances, but requiring reliable transmission and reception, HAM or GMRS are going to be WAY better than CB.

CB (in my experience) depends heavily on good equipment and installation. And since that varies so widely...it is almost useless...for any situation where all participants aren't lined up one behind the other in their vehicles.

IF everyone had a GOOD set up...that would be different, but that isn't the real world.

HAM or GMRS are going to outshine CB in just about every situation....so the faster folks make the switch, the better off we all will be. I think for my needs its going to be GMRS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom