Events/Trails 9th Annual 100s in the Hills *SILVERTON COLORADO* July 24-29 2019 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We are rolling to HIH9.
20190721_082121.jpg
RenderedI1(1).jpg

Arrived to Denver last night. Everything went well. @TRAIL TAILOR tough dog setup took it in stride, even when overloaded. The adjustable shocks made it so much better.

Never did i realize how bad the mileage would be. Maybe it's the weight, the rooftop bag, but at it's best, it indicated 12.2mpg, and at it's worst 9.5 and it did not like anything over 70ish, otherwise it drank even more!

I'm not sure why i agreed, but my brother insisted on bringing the radar detector. Speeding was not something i worried about 🤣

20190720_100729_HDR.jpg

20190720_134422_HDR.jpg

20190720_154835.jpg

20190720_234144(1).jpg

Arrived to Denver last night. Everything went well. @TRAIL TAILOR tough dog setup took it in stride, even when overloaded. The adjustable shocks made it so much better.

Never did i realize how bad the mileage would be. Maybe it's the weight, the rooftop bag, but at it's best, it indicated 12.2mpg, and at it's worst 9.5 and it did not like anything over 70ish, otherwise it drank even more!

I'm not sure why i agreed, but my brother insisted on bringing the radar detector. Speeding was not something i worried about 🤣

View attachment 2035389

View attachment 2035390

View attachment 2035391

View attachment 2035392

You didn't use the proper speed tape :hillbilly:

BTW..,,,I am 100% living the reason why you should ONLY OEM with CVs!!! The vibration is horrible!!! Seriously thinking about making an appointment somewhere and eating that cost of getting OEM CV’s installed. Going to be rolling thru Santa Fe, Pagosa Springs into Durango today. Who’s down for teaching me and my boy on how to remove and install them if I can pull off getting a new set!? Otherwise I may be needing suggestions for a place to purchase and have them installed after HIH.

BTW..,,,I am 100% living the reason why you should ONLY OEM with CVs!!! The vibration is horrible!!! Seriously thinking about making an appointment somewhere and eating that cost of getting OEM CV’s installed. Going to be rolling thru Santa Fe, Pagosa Springs into Durango today. Who’s down for teaching me and my boy on how to remove and install them if I can pull off getting a new set!? Otherwise I may be needing suggestions for a place to purchase and have them installed after HIH.
I’ve got everything needed to pull and replace the CVs including a fresh pack of c-clips from Cruiser outfitters. The only thing I don’t have is jack stands. Sounds like fun to me!

Edit: oh, except for the CVs:cool:

Durango Toyota for cv's, find a good price on internet and see if they will match it. There is also a shop in Durango that worked on @LonghornLX 's truck last year.....Also shop in Silverton, someone posted not too long ago.

Last edited:
So who just blew by me on I40 mile marker 96 in Arkansas? It was a gray cruiser with Illinois plates. It’s sucks to be stuck towing this trailer at 65mph!!!

View attachment 2035389

View attachment 2035390

View attachment 2035391

View attachment 2035392
Gas mileage??? :rofl: ... Wait until you hit the mountains.

Last edited:
@aaronrules CVs should not cause a vibration.

Is it constant or does it go away at certain speeds? Sometimes I have to take my cruiser to a place that does road force balancing and make sure they don’t use sticky weights on the wheels. This solved any vibration I have had.

@aaronrules CVs should not cause a vibration.

Is it constant or does it go away at certain speeds? Sometimes I have to take my cruiser to a place that does road force balancing and make sure they don’t use sticky weights on the wheels. This solved any vibration I have had.

It’s at certain speeds. I can go fast enough that it goes away, like 80+. But in between 70-80 it shakes the whole truck like I’m going down a wash board. I had an alignment done, steering rack replaced, and new NON-OEM CVs installed. Didn’t have a chance to a real shake down before leaving. Also, the friggin steering wheel is cocked just enough to the left it’s pissing me off! LOL.

So who just blew by me on I40 mile marker 96 in Arkansas? It was a gray cruiser with Illinois plates. It’s sucks to be stuck towing this trailer at 65mph!!!

It would have been me, but I’m way ahead of you already!

It’s at certain speeds. I can go fast enough that it goes away, like 80+. But in between 70-80 it shakes the whole truck like I’m going down a wash board. I had an alignment done, steering rack replaced, and new NON-OEM CVs installed. Didn’t have a chance to a real shake down before leaving. Also, the friggin steering wheel is cocked just enough to the left it’s pissing me off! LOL.

I agree w Sam. Sounds more like tire balance issue to me.

Or an over-greased drive shaft.

@aaronrules thats 100% tire balance.

Call ahead to a big town you are going through and find someone that does road force balancing. Lots of times it’s the shops that do bro dozers and donks because they are so hard to balance.

Edit: maybe Donks are just a H-Town thing?

In Colorado Springs for the night. Heading to Salida via Leadville (gotta get my mile high pizza fix) and the aspen ridge tomorrow morning. Camping near Salida tomorrow night. Marshal Pass Tuesday, it’s sounds like there might be a group heading out that day?

Since it’s tires, now I’m more upset at the shop. These are the same tires I’ve had a couple years now!

Will anyone have techstream with them? Made it right outside of the great sand dunes and it seems like a computer shut off. Vgrs light, traction control, side mirrors won't adjust outside temp reading is off the charts says it's 108 when it should only be 85 or so. No error codes on a basic obd scanner. I'm hoping it's a fuse related thing, but I don't have any of my manuals to look at what it could be.

Will anyone have techstream with them? Made it right outside of the great sand dunes and it seems like a computer shut off. Vgrs light, traction control, side mirrors won't adjust outside temp reading is off the charts says it's 108 when it should only be 85 or so. No error codes on a basic obd scanner. I'm hoping it's a fuse related thing, but I don't have any of my manuals to look at what it could be.

Turns out to just be a fuse. Got it swapped and back to normal. Started freaking out for a minute there. The outside temp is still reading strangly high but seems to slowly be dropping to normal

Turns out to just be a fuse. Got it swapped and back to normal. Started freaking out for a minute there. The outside temp is still reading strangly high but seems to slowly be dropping to normal

Dude....I freak out so many times on these trips. Every little sound or whatever makes think I’m going to have to get towed home!

I'm getting anxious reading all these posts about being on road. LC is in driveway ready to go. Just finished our 10 person, 3 day, 277 mile running relay on roads and hiking trails in Northern Michigan and heading for home outside Detroit. Throw some laundry in tonight and get done sleep and pack up and head for Denver tomorrow. Cant wait. Safe travels everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom