Events/Trails 9th Annual 100s in the Hills *SILVERTON COLORADO* July 24-29 2019 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been there for the last few days. This info is not totally correct. Big update coming in the next few hours.

Please let us know. Been hearing from other sources (Hinsdale County) and San Juan National Forest that it was. Good to know what the truth is as I'm planning my route for next Tuesday. I knew they had it open to American Basin last Friday, but wasn't sure about the west side of the pass until I saw this update from Hinsdale County this morning on FB. I wonder if they had a "slide" that washed out some of the road? Things are changing up there quickly.

Cinnamon.JPG

Cinnamon1.JPG

Last edited:
*HIH9 IMPORTANT UPDATES*

HIH Family,

After a brief HIH committee meeting (that means @bluecruiser and I talked on the phone) we wanted to get as much info out there as possible. There are a lot of "open" trails that are not actually open, and many that will not open. I just got home from Silverton and was able to run a few trails and get a look at a few others.

What is open?
Owl Creek Pass, Last Dollar Road, Ophir, California, Corkscrew, Alpine Loop (kind of)

Stony Pass is being called "open" and I did not drive it myself but heard from good sources that it is open, but not safe.
CAUTION: A couple from Louisiana attempted to drive Stony Pass in their Jeep. While crossing Pole Creek, their Jeep was stuck briefly and they were swept downstream. The husband survived but they have still not recovered the wife's body. PLEASE DO NOT attempt a backcounty route to HIH alone. Authorities ID woman missing after Jeep swept away in creek

This happened 17 days ago and does not mean this route will not be doable enroute to HIH, but please plan ahead and have alternate plans and means to camp in place if needed. Turning around is never wrong, even if it adds 6-8 hours to your trip. Arrive Alive! Off camber snow crossings are a bad idea too.

"Open" and "Closed" are terms that we've all been using, but "passable" and "impassable" are better descriptions. There are no gates, gatekeepers or bearded wizards with staffs. There's either too much snow or there isn't. Many of these trails are made "passable" by county workers with heavy machinery. There was simply so much snow this year (even in JUNE!) that there is just no way to move it off the trail. The avalanche debris in the area is unlike anything I've ever seen.

FJ Summit is happening this week and they're doing their best to find trails for the huge amount of vehicles that attend that event. They're good at what they do and we'll know more as the week progresses. We have a few HIH members at that event so we'll be getting daily updates. This was a "once in every 500-years" kind of winter for us in Colorado. Last year, we were at 84% snowpack for that area and in a terrible drought. As of late-May, the average snowpack for the entire state of Colorado was 416% and the San Juans were at an astonishing 728%! Unreal. April and May were insane. We had nearly a foot of snow on May 20th in Denver.

County crews are working around the clock to get trails open, but here's what I have from folks connected to the area:

Black Bear is a VERY low priority and the chances it will open for HIH are probably less than 10%. Sheriff Masters (San Miguel County Sheriff) is, and has always been, opposed to Black Bear Pass as a viable county road anyway, so this plays well for him. I seriously doubt we'll see Black Bear open for HIH. A county worker told DeAnne (our Silverton Chamber of Commerce/HIH liaison) that it would most-likely open for a few weeks in August.

Poughkeepsie Gulch is still under a few feet of snow. I'm a little more optimistic about this one simply because it's connected to Engineer/Cali/Hurricane and I expect folks to start trying to bash through the snow to get to the Wall. The issue is beyond the Wall, as we try to climb up the shelf and into the areas of California, Hurricane and Corkscrew. We expect that shelf to still be holding snow. I'd say we're an optimistic 50/50, but that may be too optimistic. This will be either nature (sun, heat and rain) or buggies on 40s and a few shovels to break this trail open.

Imogene probably has the best chance of opening, but there is a ton of snow up top around Tomboy mine.

Even our beloved Super Secret (CO14) is not passable. I tried running it via the North Loop (Red Mountain Pass) and was stopped by snow just before you make the twisty climb through the trees. I obviously couldn't see the top, but a few of us with winches and anchor points could probably make it through the first few snow drifts. There were already signs of quads and side-by-sides going off trail and around the snow, which is terrible to see, but unfortunately what happens when inconsiderate people drive on the trails.

Clear Lake is blocked by large snow and they will wait for nature to open that route.

Fishing My twins and I just camped along the Middle Fork of the Cimarron and the water was roaring. The Uncompaghre after the dam will be fishable, but you'll need to pay and enter Ridgway State Park. Clear Lake will be fishable in places free of ice, but you'll need to park and hike to the lake. The Gunnison is super high and the section between Gunnsion and Blue Mesa Reservoir is only fishable with a driftboat. I saw a few guide boats in the water but there is nowhere to wade at all.

So what does all of this mean for HIH9?

HIH9 is still very much on! It has turned into a complete logistical nightmare, but we're up to the task. We're on the phone like call-center employees and we're working on rerouting the Black Bear runs to other areas. We'll post up new info as soon as we receive it the next few days. Here's the deal.... fishing is gonna be tough, wheeling is gonna be hit and miss and plans will need to be fluid. If we hear that Poughkeepsie is open, we're gonna round up anyone signed up for Poughkeepsie and hit the road. If Imogene opens, we're on our way.

Chris (@bluecruiser) and I are just two dummies that enjoy showing folks a great time in an area that we've been living in and to going to for many many years. Brittney Kent is the only other person we have working for us (she works her butt off, please thank her at the event) and we're doing everything we can to make sure everyone gets to see and do all the things they want to do while they're here. The one thing we don't want is for folks to drive all the way across the country to run Black Bear Pass and be bummed that it's closed when they arrive. This has never been a money making operation for Chris and I. If it was, we'd be selling raffle tickets like every other event in the country. Our goal is to break even every year by simply having enough left over to cover our own costs in getting to/from the event. Meals, gas, food, etc.

We're honest dudes and we've made some great friends through this event. Here's what we can do:

From right now until FRIDAY (7/19) at 5PM (COLORADO TIME) we will allow you to cancel your HIH9 registration and receive half of your registration fee back. That's 48 hours for you to decide. We've already paid for everything that has to do with the event and offering a full refund just isn't doable. Depending on how many people cancel, we could be in trouble with this offer, but the goal is to show folks a good time in the mountains and if driving Black Bear and Poughkeepsie is the only reason you're coming to HIH, we may not be able to deliver on the goods that we sold. We're sorry for that and want to make it as right as possible.

Please do not ask if you can use those funds for HIHX next year. That's a completely separate registration.
I have no idea what we're going to do with your shirt order if you cancel. It's just something we haven't discussed yet. You won't get hosed, we'll figure something out once we make it that far down the list. If you're new to HIH, ask around. Everyone will tell you that we'll do everything we can to ensure you have a good time and the money you laid out for registration is money well spent. You'll either get your shirts somehow or we'll refund that money as well.

If you do join us, expect the same great time that we've always had. Bring an open mind and a willingness to adapt and overcome. (Bring a shovel too ;) )We're looking into some alternate trails and other options. Bring a mountain bike if you'd like a half-day trail and some incredible mountain biking. Bring a soccer ball or a wiffle ball/bat. Maybe there will be the first ever HIH wiffle ball tournament. The town of Silverton has offered us BOTH of their great parks. One has a softball field and a skatepark, the other has a 9v9 size soccer field, tennis courts, bball and horseshoes. The point is..... we just don't know right now. This whole situation is fluid. It's hot again today and we'll know more by mid-day tomorrow.

There it is..... We hope you'll still join us. I'll post some photos of the area and a few trails shortly.

Stan and Chris

*HIH9 IMPORTANT UPDATES*

HIH Family,

After a brief HIH committee meeting (that means @bluecruiser and I talked on the phone) we wanted to get as much info out there as possible. There are a lot of "open" trails that are not actually open, and many that will not open. I just got home from Silverton and was able to run a few trails and get a look at a few others.

What is open?
Owl Creek Pass, Last Dollar Road, Ophir, California, Corkscrew, Alpine Loop (kind of)

Stony Pass is being called "open" and I did not drive it myself but heard from good sources that it is open, but not safe.
CAUTION: A couple from Louisiana attempted to drive Stony Pass in their Jeep. While crossing Pole Creek, their Jeep was stuck briefly and they were swept downstream. The husband survived but they have still not recovered the wife's body. PLEASE DO NOT attempt a backcounty route to HIH alone. Authorities ID woman missing after Jeep swept away in creek

This happened 17 days ago and does not mean this route will not be doable enroute to HIH, but please plan ahead and have alternate plans and means to camp in place if needed. Turning around is never wrong, even if it adds 6-8 hours to your trip. Arrive Alive! Off camber snow crossings are a bad idea too.

"Open" and "Closed" are terms that we've all been using, but "passable" and "impassable" are better descriptions. There are no gates, gatekeepers or bearded wizards with staffs. There's either too much snow or there isn't. Many of these trails are made "passable" by county workers with heavy machinery. There was simply so much snow this year (even in JUNE!) that there is just no way to move it off the trail. The avalanche debris in the area is unlike anything I've ever seen.

FJ Summit is happening this week and they're doing their best to find trails for the huge amount of vehicles that attend that event. They're good at what they do and we'll know more as the week progresses. We have a few HIH members at that event so we'll be getting daily updates. This was a "once in every 500-years" kind of winter for us in Colorado. Last year, we were at 84% snowpack for that area and in a terrible drought. As of late-May, the average snowpack for the entire state of Colorado was 416% and the San Juans were at an astonishing 728%! Unreal. April and May were insane. We had nearly a foot of snow on May 20th in Denver.

County crews are working around the clock to get trails open, but here's what I have from folks connected to the area:

Black Bear is a VERY low priority and the chances it will open for HIH are probably less than 10%. Sheriff Masters (San Miguel County Sheriff) is, and has always been, opposed to Black Bear Pass as a viable county road anyway, so this plays well for him. I seriously doubt we'll see Black Bear open for HIH. A county worker told DeAnne (our Silverton Chamber of Commerce/HIH liaison) that it would most-likely open for a few weeks in August.

Poughkeepsie Gulch is still under a few feet of snow. I'm a little more optimistic about this one simply because it's connected to Engineer/Cali/Hurricane and I expect folks to start trying to bash through the snow to get to the Wall. The issue is beyond the Wall, as we try to climb up the shelf and into the areas of California, Hurricane and Corkscrew. We expect that shelf to still be holding snow. I'd say we're an optimistic 50/50, but that may be too optimistic. This will be either nature (sun, heat and rain) or buggies on 40s and a few shovels to break this trail open.

Imogene probably has the best chance of opening, but there is a ton of snow up top around Tomboy mine.

Even our beloved Super Secret (CO14) is not passable. I tried running it via the North Loop (Red Mountain Pass) and was stopped by snow just before you make the twisty climb through the trees. I obviously couldn't see the top, but a few of us with winches and anchor points could probably make it through the first few snow drifts. There were already signs of quads and side-by-sides going off trail and around the snow, which is terrible to see, but unfortunately what happens when inconsiderate people drive on the trails.

Clear Lake is blocked by large snow and they will wait for nature to open that route.

Fishing My twins and I just camped along the Middle Fork of the Cimarron and the water was roaring. The Uncompaghre after the dam will be fishable, but you'll need to pay and enter Ridgway State Park. Clear Lake will be fishable in places free of ice, but you'll need to park and hike to the lake. The Gunnison is super high and the section between Gunnsion and Blue Mesa Reservoir is only fishable with a driftboat. I saw a few guide boats in the water but there is nowhere to wade at all.

HIH9 is still very much on! It has turned into a complete logistical nightmare, but we're up to the task. We're on the phone like call-center employees and we're working on rerouting the Black Bear runs to other areas. We'll post up new info as soon as we receive it the next few days. Here's the deal.... fishing is gonna be tough, wheeling is gonna be hit and miss and plans will need to be fluid. If we hear that Poughkeepsie is open, we're gonna round up anyone signed up for Poughkeepsie and hit the road. If Imogene opens, we're on our way.

Chris (@bluecruiser) and I are just two dummies that enjoy showing folks a great time in an area that we've been living in and to going to for many many years. Brittney Kent is the only other person we have working for us (she works her butt off, please thank her at the event) and we're doing everything we can to make sure everyone gets to see and do all the things they want to do while they're here. The one thing we don't want is for folks to drive all the way across the country to run Black Bear Pass and be bummed that it's closed when they arrive. This has never been a money making operation for Chris and I. If it was, we'd be selling raffle tickets like every other event in the country. Our goal is to break even every year by simply having enough left over to cover our own costs in getting to/from the event. Meals, gas, food, etc.

We're honest dudes and we've made some great friends through this event. Here's what we can do:

From right now until FRIDAY (7/19) at 5PM (COLORADO TIME) we will allow you to cancel your HIH9 registration and receive half of your registration fee back. That's 48 hours for you to decide. We've already paid for everything that has to do with the event and offering a full refund just isn't doable. Depending on how many people cancel, we could be in trouble with this offer, but the goal is to show folks a good time in the mountains and if driving Black Bear and Poughkeepsie is the only reason you're coming to HIH, we may not be able to deliver on the goods that we sold. We're sorry for that and want to make it as right as possible.

Please do not ask if you can use those funds for HIHX next year. That's a completely separate registration.
I have no idea what we're going to do with your shirt order if you cancel. It's just something we haven't discussed yet. You won't get hosed, we'll figure something out once we make it that far down the list. If you're new to HIH, ask around. Everyone will tell you that we'll do everything we can to ensure you have a good time and the money you laid out for registration is money well spent. You'll either get your shirts somehow or we'll refund that money as well.

If you do join us, expect the same great time that we've always had. Bring an open mind and a willingness to adapt and overcome. (Bring a shovel too ;) )We're looking into some alternate trails and other options. Bring a mountain bike if you'd like a half-day trail and some incredible mountain biking. Bring a soccer ball or a wiffle ball/bat. Maybe there will be the first ever HIH wiffle ball tournament. The town of Silverton has offered us BOTH of their great parks. One has a softball field and a skatepark, the other has a 9v9 size soccer field, tennis courts, bball and horseshoes. The point is..... we just don't know right now. This whole situation is fluid. It's hot again today and we'll know more by mid-day tomorrow.

There it is..... We hope you'll still join us. I'll post some photos of the area and a few trails shortly.

Stan and Chris

Thanks for the update! I’m still coming no matter what. For me, it’s about meeting friends and hanging out more than anything else. It’s the one trip each year that is marked on my calendar as a can’t miss....and I won’t :)

Thanks for the update! I’m still coming no matter what. For me, it’s about meeting friends and hanging out more than anything else. It’s the one trip each year that is marked on my calendar as a can’t miss....and I won’t :)

As long as the dingo dog is ALSO still coming, everyone will be happy :)

We are coming no matter what. Maybe I will try and bring some supplies for a good stump tournament. Nothing like tossing hammers with friends

Last edited:
*HIH9 IMPORTANT UPDATES*

HIH Family,

What is open?

Stan and Chris
*HIH9 IMPORTANT UPDATES*

HIH Family,

What is open?

Stan and Chris
This is the first time for me and the family in the area. I've been anxiously looking forward to doing black bear and other trails up there. With that said, if it's not open what can you do. We are coming no matter what. Hanging out in the mountains, meeting good people, doing some wheeling and getting the kids exposed to it is more than I can ask. Looking forward to the event. Thanks for the update.

Plenty of awesomeness regardless of the trail. Don't underestimate some of the "easier" trails in the area. The views are incredible.
I was expecting to see a ton of wildflowers this week, but they haven't even popped yet. When they do..... look out. We did find an area on the south side of Last Dollar that had a ton of flowers. We could smell them about a mile before we popped out in the open. These are just what was on my phone. I haven't had time to open my camera yet. Everything is super green. The amount of snow in some areas is stunning.

*DON'T FORGET TO READ THE IMPORTANT UPDATE IN POST #1443*

Last Dollar.JPG

IMG_1222.jpg

*HIH9 IMPORTANT UPDATES*

HIH Family,

What is open?

Stan and Chris
Heck, I’d drive from Ga just to hang with you guys. Just being with other cruiser heads is enough for me and my family. What ever trails we run I know it will be awesome!!!

Stan, thanks for all the research, intel, making a pre-trip this weekend and for being so accommodating.

Cliff notes version = it'll still be awesome. As Chris said, pack your smile and good attitude, and perhaps a bit more beer/whiskey for this year's edition!

Heck, I’d drive from Ga just to hang with you guys. Just being with other cruiser heads is enough for me and my family. What ever trails we run I know it will be awesome!!!
Thanks for the update and will be there as well, would not and will not ever miss this event no matter what. We too enjoy the folks and the trails are bonus.....if this event falls short in $, we (the Blackburn's) are more than willing to help make sure you guys are made whole.....see everyone next week!

Last edited:
For the last two years, for one reason or another, my Cruiser was in the shop or just not able to make it. I did one trail with Kevin last year and had a blast, but the rest of the time was on the move checking out all the cool stuff the area has to offer by pavement. Kristen and I fell in love with HIH because of the people, beauty of the area and the people that attend. Everyone is so happy and just ready to put their lives behind for a moment. You would be doing yourself a disservice by not attending because a few trails are closed. Bring a set of corn hole and an adventurous spirit and you and whoever you bring will remember it forever. Plus, Kristen won't be there this year so I'm going to survive on whiskey the entire week and that is just plain good entertainment. Shhhh...

Still coming. Its my first 1 and I can't wait to meet a bunch of cool 100 series people and catch up with a few of you I know. My dad is coming out and has never really been off roading, so no matter what it will be great for us. Now I am signed up for a bunch of closed (as of right now) trails, but I have confidence in things shaking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom