Events/Trails 9th Annual 100s in the Hills *SILVERTON COLORADO* July 24-29 2019 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A quick question:

Will my stock 99 LX with. BFG KO2 275/70/16 be ok or should I upgrade the tires to 18s ? Thanks in advance.
You'll be fine on most trails except for Poughkeepsie. IIRC they dont allow stock trucks on that run anyways so you dont need to worry. You should be fine with the rest of the trails like Imogene or Black Bear

You'll be fine on most trails except for Poughkeepsie. IIRC they dont allow stock trucks on that run anyways so you dont need to worry. You should be fine with the rest of the trails like Imogene or Black Bear

You will only need tires and sliders for Poughkeepsie. I ran it that way last year, we just bypassed the wall. That trail is one of the harder ones, but totally doable with tires...I never hit my sliders once...on any trail, and I tried really hard to pick hard lines everywhere.

A quick question:

Will my stock 99 LX with. BFG KO2 275/70/16 be ok or should I upgrade the tires to 18s ? Thanks in advance.

If you want bigger tires you don’t need bigger rims necessarily, in fact when wheeling a smaller rim can be more functional, ask @DirtDawg how informed that opinion haha. The most popular size is 285/75r16 which is more or less a 33” tire. Very easy to find and really pretty inexpensive. I ran them for a while before going bigger.

Edit: I should mention that you’ll be fine on the tires you have now, the KO2 performs great. I ran them at HIH last year including Poughkeepsie.

Or would Michelin LTX /AT2. 275/65/18 do?
I've run BFG All-Terrains (KO and KO2) for the past 15 years on my 60 and 100. I've been happy with their performance off and on-road. No need to change them out unless they are worn without much tread left. The Michelins you asked about would probably be less durable than the BFGs, which have very stout sidewalls for resisting punctures when aired down.

If you want bigger tires you don’t need bigger rims necessarily, in fact when wheeling a smaller rim can be more functional, ask @DirtDawg how informed that opinion haha. The most popular size is 285/75r16 which is more or less a 33” tire. Very easy to find and really pretty inexpensive. I ran them for a while before going bigger.

Edit: I should mention that you’ll be fine on the tires you have now, the KO2 performs great. I ran them at HIH last year including Poughkeepsie.
As @atnolan94 said, I'm well versed in the larger rims causing issues area. I run method 18s with 275/70r18 BFGs. I was one of two back to back tire failures on poughkeepsie last year, both from pinching the tire on a larger rim. Also my wheels have plenty of rock rash from some more difficult trails around CO. That should all change this year as I upgrade to a larger tire. 16s are your friends!

As @atnolan94 said, I'm well versed in the larger rims causing issues area. I run method 18s with 275/70r18 BFGs. I was one of two back to back tire failures on poughkeepsie last year, both from pinching the tire on a larger rim. Also my wheels have plenty of rock rash from some more difficult trails around CO. That should all change this year as I upgrade to a larger tire. 16s are your friends!

I have the 17 Rock Warriors and I really like them as well. They definitely have some marks around the bead lock style trim .

What would be the top 10 list of mods/preparation for HIH9 for a stock rig? Also wondering about if the stock fuel tank is adequate. Thanks!

What would be the top 10 list of mods/preparation for HIH9 for a stock rig? Also wondering about if the stock fuel tank is adequate. Thanks!

For me:

Number 1 would be making sure that you are good on preventative maintenance

Number 2 would be checking CV boots, ball joints and other areas of the suspension.

The rest is just planning and any additions to your 100 you want to use HIH to justify!

There is plenty of fuel around Silverton. What is your reason for changing the stock fuel tank?

No plans to change but wondering if extra fuel in Jerry cans are needed.

IMO, make sure your brakes are good to go. Especially if you are going on Black Bear Pass! I wouldn't worry about Extra Fuel unless its just a small amount "for Emergency situations". There is a gas station right there in Silverton. From what I've gathered, it is NOT recommended by most to completely fill your tank on the 100 series for various reasons at the high altitudes, but you can stop at the station there in town to add some every day or 2. I never filled above 3/4 tank during HIH8 and never even got close to a low fuel situation.

Make sure the truck is in good working order mechanically as others have said.

Otherwise, you really only need good all terrain tires; I like the BFG KO2, but there are other good brands out there too.

To everybody who is curious about anything that is "needed" for HIH let me try to help calm the waters. I know we all like cool stuff, I may be the worlds worst, but the trails that are offered at HIH absolutely do not require anything super special to be done to a 100 in order to make it through them. I have been to HIH with both a fully armored lifted sweet ass rig and a bone stock LX with AHC and I honestly did everything I wanted to do in my stock LX last year that wanted to do. In fact...I was one of only two 100's to go through the creek following @bluecruiser on one trip...it was the only time that I was close to being a little over my head.

Bottom line, get some all-terrain tires...the bigger the better. Get a CB and tune the friggin thing! Take off your running boards and you have a fully capable vehicle ready for 99% of what you will see at HIH. Only one obstacle will present a challenge, and even that you can bypass.

Sure...some places are pretty technical and require a tiny bit of driving skill, but the trail leaders know how to do their jobs, and they are very good at it!

For first timers, I recommend doing clear lake or Alpine Loop your first trail. Neither is difficult, and both of them you will see some fantastic scenery!

Don't over think it. Make sure your truck is in good running order like you would for any road trip, and enjoy the hell out of yourself!

To everybody who is curious about anything that is "needed" for HIH let me try to help calm the waters. I know we all like cool stuff, I may be the worlds worst, but the trails that are offered at HIH absolutely do not require anything super special to be done to a 100 in order to make it through them. I have been to HIH with both a fully armored lifted sweet ass rig and a bone stock LX with AHC and I honestly did everything I wanted to do in my stock LX last year that wanted to do. In fact...I was one of only two 100's to go through the creek following @bluecruiser on one trip...it was the only time that I was close to being a little over my head.

Bottom line, get some all-terrain tires...the bigger the better. Get a CB and tune the friggin thing! Take off your running boards and you have a fully capable vehicle ready for 99% of what you will see at HIH. Only one obstacle will present a challenge, and even that you can bypass.

Sure...some places are pretty technical and require a tiny bit of driving skill, but the trail leaders know how to do their jobs, and they are very good at it!

For first timers, I recommend doing clear lake or Alpine Loop your first trail. Neither is difficult, and both of them you will see some fantastic scenery!

Don't over think it. Make sure your truck is in good running order like you would for any road trip, and enjoy the hell out of yourself!
This creek?

In fact...I was one of only two 100's to go through the creek following @bluecruiser on one trip...it was the only time that I was close to being a little over my head.
Now I understand why you're coming alone this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom