'99 Yukon vs '94 FZJ80....driving impressions...

Been driving my dad's '99 Yukon(171k miles) all week to commute with. Damn thing weighs as much as the cruiser, has a V8 and still gets 7 more MPG than the 80 :doh:

First off, when driving the Yukon you feel like you're driving the living room while sitting on the couch! The damn thing is a freakin boat. I had a Crown Vic in high school, and this thing is in the same class. Doesn't corner worth a damn, spins tires off the line under normal(for me :D ) driving conditions....

Drove the cruiser yesterday so that it wouldn't have been sitting for over a week come monday(drove the Yukon home to VB from DC). The cruiser felt like a Porsche compared to the Yukon. Holds the road better, accelerates better( :eek: ), and just handles better in general.

The only good things so far about the Yukon are that it is SMOOTH on the highway(hit 90mph on the way home tonight and didn't even notice :whoops: ), the CD player is worth a damn, and it gets 20-22mpg on the highway(I commute 80 miles round trip on the highway every day).

All in all, I'll drive it this summer since it saves me a considerable amount of gas $$, but I definately won't give up my cruiser for it(which I briefly considered).

Ary

I'm having a hard time believing you're getting 20+ MPG in a Yukon. I test drove a bunch of them plus Yukon XL/Suburbans. I like them. Comfy and good power, but I would not want one for an offroad rig.

I drove home last night averaging between 75 and 80. Went 230 miles on approximately 12 gallons of gas...that included sitting in traffic for an hour while they cleaned up an accident. I tend to get very frustrated in traffic, and heavy on the accelerator and brakes when some room opens up in front of me. I was amazed that I burned slightly less than half a tank on the trip.

As for the tranny. I've heard that they're timebombs, and if my dad didn't drive like a grandma, I'd be amazed that it hasn't gone out yet. You have to keep in mind that this truck has never been used to tow anything on a regular basis or anything like that. I used it to tow my Cherokee on a trailer 3 hours one time on generally flat highways and it sucked so bad I would never tow anything heavy with it again. The truck has also lived its life cruising up and down between Virginia Beach and Washington D.C. At one point my dad was up and back twice a week(500 miles round trip).

Anyway, now I know why he replaced it with an '04 100 for his DD :D That thing is fawking SWEET. It's like they took the best things about both trucks(the Yukon and the 80) and put them together.

I'm off to do some PM on the thing. It's getting a new cap/rotor/plugs/wires since I don't think my dad has ever changed them and it feels like it needs a slight tune-up.

Ary

Oh, and Beno, they(my uncle's family) put me up for free and feed me for free, so I have to entertain their opinions from time to time, or at least pretend to.... :flipoff2:

I'll second your opinion on the boat-like feel, Ary....

I drove a 02 Denali at work a few years back, just has that cushy Buick feel to it......Steering is sloppier, everything.....but that is what American cars are about.....

And it doesn't matter how much your dad babied the rig, my father-in-law drives like the grandpa he is and his 01 Yukon XL spit the transmission out at 76K with regular maintenance....

So congrats on dad buying a 100, maybe someday it will work it's way down to you......I failed, as my father -in-law swore off GM, was looking at an Expedition.....talked him out of that, so he went and ordered a Navigator!??!! (he likes Buick feel)

flintknapper

SILVER Star

Get out while you can.

CruisinGA said:
That 4l60E tranny is a ticking timebomb too...

Everything but that engine is trash...

I couldn't agree more, and I speak from personal experience.

The 4L60E is notorious for having a TCC valve problem.

Rear end problems are prevelant, and fuel pump failures are legendary.

You couldn't give me another GM product! EVER!

We did have the fuel pump replaced about 10k miles ago, but other than that I guess this truck has been the anomoly 'cause it hasn't had any problems...knock on wood. At this point, the truck has been paid for by the company(when using your personal vehicle the company cuts you a monthly check instead of forcing a company car on you. They also give you a gas card) and is basically a free ride. We're thinking about selling it though and buying a pickup to use at the soon to be acquired rural property. For now I'll ride it for its gas economy.

Ary

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
SILVER Star

I drive a 2000 classic ('99) Tahoe with the time bomb tranny. You have seen the pics of me towing the 40 and other treasure with it. 6,000 plus pounds. I have had the hard shifting problem between gears and the fix if you can believe it was to replace the O2 sensors with Bosh. Make sure to take an old one with you because the same part number may have a female plug or a male plug in the box. Also, the trucks came with either a male or a female plug so there is no way to determine unless you pull it. I changed the ATF to Mobil1 Syn at 30,000 and replaced the filter.

I have 85,000 on the clock and I bought it new and drive it like the throttle is an on off switch. My only complaint so far is the brakes stink. I burn through pads every 2,000 miles and I have warped and cracked the stocked rotors, destroyed the rear drums, and now my Brembo rotors are warped and cracked. This is all with the very soft compound brake pads because the ceramics wore through the first set of rotors.

treeroot- a buddy of mine with a 97 tahoe has had lots of problems with his tranny-

he just installed a shift kit in the valvebody and said it has made a big difference in shift firmness and quality.

Also- look out for slight vibration at freeway speeds, if not the other culprits it could be a torque converter lockout solenoid not operating properly. This happend to my buddy while we were towing my 40 back from the mountains.

Led to my 40 getting a red rain storm and another rebuild of the 4l60E.

Good luck with that thing! :cheers:

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
SILVER Star

One more thing I just remembered....I replaced the ball joint in the upper control arm at 60,000. I broke it doing J-turns/bootlegger turns in the parking garage. :D

I do have a vibration at highway speeds. I fixed that by wedging some cd's between the console and the seat so it stopped buzzing. I like the vibes, it makes long trips very relaxing. :flipoff2:

flintknapper

SILVER Star

Arya Ebrahimi said:
We did have the fuel pump replaced about 10k miles ago, but other than that I guess this truck has been the anomoly 'cause it hasn't had any problems...knock on wood. At this point, the truck has been paid for by the company(when using your personal vehicle the company cuts you a monthly check instead of forcing a company car on you. They also give you a gas card) and is basically a free ride. We're thinking about selling it though and buying a pickup to use at the soon to be acquired rural property. For now I'll ride it for its gas economy.

Ary

That won't be the last fuel pump. Also, let me know when the tranny starts having a really hard 1-2 shift.

JOFS

GOLD Star

Had a 1998 Yukon, was like sitting in a recliner while driving very comfy, but I didn't like the toasted tranny at 40,000k, (never towed or any hard driving) leaking intake gaskets 42K, bad brakes, rattles, doors sticking, along with broken mirrors, never any accident to break them, cracks just started on both rearviews and did the slow creap and then leaked the fancy fluid, they are about 270 a piece just for the mirror because it has defrost and variable mirror ability. Sold it and now drive my old toyotas as I always had before. Will continue to do so, Next will be an 80 series so the kids are more comfy.

The tranny shop told me that they did a fix that would take care of the problem for the future, it was some valve body modification, but with the rest of the issues I didn't care to keep it to find out.

If you say 20 mpg, you did much better than me. 16 mpg was what I got no matter how I drove it.

John

Top Bottom