99 with PS leak down low...replace the rack?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is mainly just to confirm what it "appears" most people are doing when they have the same problem as I do. I have what seems to be the fairly common 100-series power steering leak down on the rack with the leak coming thru the rubber boot dust cover. Nothing hitting the ground yet. According to search on MUD, people are replacing the entire rack at a part cost of approx. $700. Is this the fix, or is there a seal in there that can be done that is much more cost effective??

I have drained my PS reservoir and put in Lucas in hopes of slowing it down. I read that many people drive thousands of miles with this particular PS leak before getting around to repairing it. My problem is that I get a slight "groaning" noise when I turn right (even the slightest bit off center) and it is annoying and I am assuming it is related. Doesn't happen when I turn the wheel left, thats quiet. So far after 3 weeks the Lucas hasn't helped the noise. So anyway, I would like to fix the leak and eliminate the groaning noise the most cost-effective way, if anyone has any input from their experiences, thanks.

You'll need to isolate the sound, as it could be outside of the rack itself. A harbor fright $5 stethoscope with a helper may be helpful.

I found fluid all over the place, appeared to be coming from everywhere. I cleaned it all really well. Then got lucky, finding the hoses at the reservoir were leaking, which is very common. Cleaned screen in bottom of the reservoir, added two screw clamps along with three fluid flushing with M1 MV ATF and all is good. No leaks and nice & quiet.

Last edited:
I also had this diagnosed at the shop the other day. Plan on filling the reservoir often because I don't have a bad sound coming from the rack. I was also quoted around $2100 to put a new one in my 05 LX. Does anyone have a better idea like going with a Toyota rack for cheaper?

Does anyone have a better idea like going with a Toyota rack for cheaper?

I had a Toyota dealer quote me about $1200 for replacement. So I'd definitely change something.

Most replace the rack due to the amount of work required to get in there. there is a seal kit out there. It is one of the more difficult parts to service on these vehicles. for a while there were a number that replaced with remanned rack and replaced again within a year or two. I may be wrong, but I remember remans all that are left. Most also go Poly Pro Bushings when they do this work. There is an OEM 98-02 Steering Rack gasket kit. Not sure your year.
a1sf9h.jpg

a1sf9h.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom