'99 roof rack bar removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a set of Thule bars that mount onto the stock rack. But I'd like to remove the stock bars so that I don't have two different sets of bars, and with one of those not being used at all.

Can anyone give me some tips?

Could post a link to what you are talking about? I have a Yakima rack that mounts to the factory cross bars, but they are kinda weak. I am interested in replacing them if its cheap.

-Matt

the front and rear corner of the rack could be pryed off. It would expose the screws used to bolt the rack. Once you all the bolt are removed then you could slide the whole rack to the front a little bit and lift it up. To remove the cross bar you need to use small torq bit and unsrew the plastic end bracket from the aluminum track.

[quote author=Augie link=board=2;threadid=10745;start=msg96562#msg96562 date=1075338205]
the front and rear corner of the rack could be pryed off. It would expose the screws used to bolt the rack. Once you all the bolt are removed then you could slide the whole rack to the front a little bit and lift it up. To remove the cross bar you need to use small torq bit and unsrew the plastic end bracket from the aluminum track.
[/quote]

Augie, thanks for the reply but I'm still not sure entirely what I'm supposed to do. Do you think you can try and tell me one more time?

I would actually not recommend removing the cross bar. The thule or yakima compress OEM roof rack from the side and without cross bar it would make it a lot weaker assembly.

The roof rack it self are attaced at 6 point. Each point have 2 screw with torq head. The front and rear part of the rack that meet the roof have plastic cover that hide the screw inside. You need to pry it off. The best way to pry it off is just to rock using your hands. If you use screwdriver it might scratch the plastic and make a gap that allow water in.

You do not need to touch the middle bracket since the main assembly would just slide off.

Augie,
I'm interested in removing my roof rack only temporarily so that I can slop some paint on those bars that have a bad case of peeling paint.

Anyway, I went out and looked at the front and rear footings. They look like they are on there pretty good. When you say rock them, do you mean just to get a good grip with both hands and try to twist them up, or sideways, or pry them up?

It doesn't look like an easy task.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom