Ford '99 Ranger 2WD tranny issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
Hoping someone here can give me some clues to maybe solve some odd tranny behavior. My future son-in-law has his Ford Ranger parked at my house while he's off in military training for a couple more months. I drive it occasionally, just to keep it running, mostly to the dump every few weeks. Truck has ~180K on it, 2WD, 4cyl engine.

Symptoms: The auto tranny is acting weird. If you shift from either P or R to D, it won't move, it just sits there, engine revving. You have to shift it to 2, then it will drive, but it won't shift into 3rd gear until you put it back into D. Once it starts moving, it's fine, you can leave it in D, even if you come to a full stop. But if you put it R or P, you have to start it out in 2 again.

I checked the fluid level, it looks perfect, and the fluid looks fine, nice crimson color, no burnt smell. I may dump the pan and pull it off, see what the magnets and screen look like (I assume it has both). It doesn't seem to be a linkage adjustment problem, as it's doing what it's supposed to do in P,R, and N. Column shift, though.

Ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom