'99 No Start / What's it worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, I don't post in the 100 section because I have 2 '97 80's.

Long story but I live in Alaska and a friend has a '99 up here that hasn't run in about a year. She lives in Las Vegas so can't work on it or give it the attention in needs.

She just asked me if I want to buy it and I'm considering it.

It's a '99 with roughly 235,000 miles. It's got a recent OME lift and newish 33" MT's. Her neighbor up here has tried to get it running but it's been sitting since last summer and now a couple vandals have tried breaking in and have scarred up the drivers door and the grill. From memory the body is pretty clean other than that, I think it's missing a piece of body cladding on one door. I don't know much about it other than that.

She told me that last summer (last time she was up here driving it) it had shut off while she was driving it. Mechanic replaced crank shaft sensor and the problem went away. Then it happened a couple more times and they noticed moisture in the glove box. Thinking moisture was the issue, they bought a used "computer" and had an "electrical mechanic" flash it to their keys and then sent it up here and had their neighbor install it and that didn't work. It tires to turn over but just doesn't start. The neighbor up here has now replaced fuel pump, fuel pump relay, alternator, "main computer", ignition ring, crank shaft sensor, "fuses and all individual relays", and "another sensor, maybe camshaft sensor". She says it sounds like it wants to start but just won't.

So it still sits.

If I do buy it, it will need to be a favorable deal for me because I'm broke. But at the same time, I don't want to low ball them just because they're not up here. But at the same time, it's not running and I have no idea why not. If I don't want it and they can't get it running, they are considering parting it out.

Has anyone on MUD seen these symptoms and knows which direction to point me in? What's it worth running? What's it worth not running?

Thanks,
Rick

It's going to be buggered now mate. They've replaced to many computers without properly syncing them up. It's bound for the scrap yard.
If the alarm does not match the computer, it's locked out. Fuel pump will not run. It's a anti theft feature. Only the dealer can sync them.

If you could make a deal with her to get the truck for free and if you getting it running you pay her, then I'd go for it. Otherwise I'd pass.

It sounds like a windshield leak to me, water got into a computer and shorted it out, happened to me. I had different issues but I was ready to trade in my truck. And turns out that's why the original owner that I had gotten it from traded it in, water getting into a computer and causing all kinds of hell.

Hard to tell.

It sounds like someone had been diagnosing its issue(s) with the "flinging poo" method, and may have caused additional issues (immobilizer/ECU) in the process.

In addition, it sounds like it may have a water ingress issue (windshield or sunroof drains?), and it's potentially been sitting with a water issue.

If you're "broke" and looking for a quick fix, this probably isn't a good buy. If it's a long term project, it might be entertaining to get it running and driving, but there is a potential for spending more in repairs than the car is worth.

Sounds bad alright. Where in AK? You should buy that FJ55 in Fairbanks that's been for sale quite awhile. It's a runner!

Worth a lot in Canada , even just body parts and glass...

No its not, because 100's are rare as hens teeth here! LX worth parting but even then...

Thanks for the replys guys. Is it safe to say that you just can’t go into a dealership and have them flash the ECU? I guess they want you to buy a new one... That’s a hard pill to swallow if it’s just worth parting out now.

Rick

Thanks for the replys guys. Is it safe to say that you just can’t go into a dealership and have them flash the ECU? I guess they want you to buy a new one... That’s a hard pill to swallow if it’s just worth parting out now.

Rick

The question is, was the ECU part of the original issue, or is a misconfigured ECU just adding to the confusion in troubleshooting the original issue?

The typical Toyota/Lexus official response is to just replace the ECU ($$$$$). A good locksmith should be able to erase/reprogram the immobilizer function in the ECU. A DIY solution for the adventurous: DIY: Immobilizer Hacking for Lost Keys or Swapped ECU - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums . Even if you chose to do one of these options, is it going to start, or do you still have to chase the original cause of the issue?

One issue that can give similar starting issues:
My immobilizer fix

The water problem, could be as simple as clearing the sunroof drains, or a not quite as easy to fix, bad windshield install, that may have evolved into a bigger issue:
Windshield Leak and rust....

Rick

You can. They can match everything up but you must take the whole truck with you. And once that's done you can work on getting it running.
But like already mentioned, getting it running after the whatever the dealer charges you might still me way more than the truck is worth.
Water getting into thing's and then freezing will render it a boat anchor. Add mold. And hidden rust. I'd pass man, walk away as fast as you can. It's going to be a money pit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom