99 LX470 with Clunking when shifting and driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just bought this 99 LX with about 220k miles on it last month.

Got a killer deal but had to immediately replace timing belt kit and drive belt kit to get the thing running.

I bought it knowing the the steering rack was blown and needed to be replaced as it is leaking ps fluid everywhere. But this is a project truck at this point so we are getting there little by little.

Right now the issue is that when I shift from park to drive or reverse to drive I hear a significant clunking. I just grease the Ujoints tonight and it didn’t change anything. Upon further inspection and having a friend shift while it was in the lift I found that both front axles were moving each time it was being shifted.

I was thinking this is most likely caused by the differential bushings being worn and having (obviously significant) play. Does that sound like a reasonable place to start or does anyone have any other ideas of what could cause this clunking and axle movement?

And if it is a diff bushing set would it be an easier job to do with the power steering rack and pinion replacement? And any recommendations of diff bushing kits?

So I just bought this 99 LX with about 220k miles on it last month.

Got a killer deal but had to immediately replace timing belt kit and drive belt kit to get the thing running.

I bought it knowing the the steering rack was blown and needed to be replaced as it is leaking ps fluid everywhere. But this is a project truck at this point so we are getting there little by little.

Right now the issue is that when I shift from park to drive or reverse to drive I hear a significant clunking. I just grease the Ujoints tonight and it didn’t change anything. Upon further inspection and having a friend shift while it was in the lift I found that both front axles were moving each time it was being shifted.

I was thinking this is most likely caused by the differential bushings being worn and having (obviously significant) play. Does that sound like a reasonable place to start or does anyone have any other ideas of what could cause this clunking and axle movement?

And if it is a diff bushing set would it be an easier job to do with the power steering rack and pinion replacement? And any recommendations of diff bushing kits?
Greetings. Did you ever figure out what was causing this? I bought fixer upper '02 and have replaced a lot on it, including the CV Axles and I still have a loud clunk when shifting.

Thanks

Flanges are the first place to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom