99 LX470 simple replacement head unit....suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've seen double to single din conversions where one half is replaced with a storage compartment. But, I think the particular problem with this in an LX is even with a double-DIN, you'll need an LX-specific surround that matches the angle of the dash. I doubt that exists in a version that will get you down to a single-DIN, unless you can find someone to design and 3D print something.

51kWScGRxOL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Yes, but I'd expect a motorized screen to add potential points of failure.

Understood. But I like the 'phone like' operation of that unit. My Wife is quite familiar with the features of her Iphone....and this unit is very much like that. Also has a volume 'knob' and easy to understand remote.

Some other Double Din units I've looked at (similarly equipped) have large permanent screens that I know she will not like.

The Pioneer cited above (I Believe) will even work with the screen retracted. That is why I asked about the single DIN aspect. It opens up the choices (if possible to use one).

I've seen double to single din conversions where one half is replaced with a storage compartment. But, I think the particular problem with this in an LX is even with a double-DIN, you'll need an LX-specific surround that matches the angle of the dash. I doubt that exists in a version that will get you down to a single-DIN, unless you can find someone to design and 3D print something.

View attachment 2657268

Well that would explain why I've not yet found anything.

View attachment 2657268

Looks like in the later model years where the navigation unit was installed....that it is possible. But that isn't what I have.

Silly question maybe.

Can a single DIN head unit be used where a double DIN unit was before (with some type of replacement surround)?
Yes. as long as you also have the appropriate bracketry to mount to the OEM mounting points inside of the dash.

View attachment 2657268
This is true, but it is flat on the back side. It would be trivial to buy a single DIN cover and sticky tape or glue it in the right spot.

Reactions: jLB
Is there some type of insert/surround that fits around a single DIN? I'm not coming up with anything with a cursory search online.

View attachment 2657268

You'd need a LX470 to "Double DIN" faceplate adapter (as shown above), and one of the "universal single DIN pockets", although it might require a little creativity...

Something like this maybe:
Amazon product ASIN B00RIS9QMAAmazon product ASIN B073QWKZMKAmazon.com: DKMUS Universal Radio Pocket for Toyota Honda Lexus Mitsubishi etc. Cd Storage Single One Din Installation Dash Mount Trim Kit Fascia: GPS & Navigation - https://www.amazon.com/DKMUS-Universal-Mitsubishi-Storage-Installation/dp/B00RIY229S/

Understood. But I like the 'phone like' operation of that unit. My Wife is quite familiar with the features of her Iphone....and this unit is very much like that. Also has a volume 'knob' and easy to understand remote.

Some other Double Din units I've looked at (similarly equipped) have large permanent screens that I know she will not like.

The Pioneer cited above (I Believe) will even work with the screen retracted. That is why I asked about the single DIN aspect. It opens up the choices (if possible to use one).

Any of the "CarPlay" units will have the iPhone like interface. I can understand the knob preference, even if it's digital.

We went with a double DIN Sony equivalent (CarPlay & volume knob), in our "spare vehicle" 99 LX. Our thought process, was that it might be loaned out to a number of different family members, I was just looking for something that was simple for young and old, without me receiving a bunch of questions over the phone as to "how do I make this thing work".

(My 79 year old mother has had no issues after a quick explanation.)
1619469804077.png

So @jLB and I have both used the JOYING units with good results. While they are standard double-din size (so for the LX you will need the little adapter) mine had been awesome.
I went with their universal 7" display unit with the rheostat knob for volume and really my only gripe has been that there are no definite "clicks" when changing the volume, but for the price you really can't complain. I also added the backup camera and it has been good, not great, but does well enough for what I use it for.

Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Reactions: jLB
So no matter what... I need to have a new Double DIN 'surround' when going aftermarket.

Is there a suggested model/manufacturer?

IF so....is there an inexpensive model (I can modify/butcher) when trying to fit a single DIN
adapter in place. Then once that is accomplished (or not) install a better one.

I ordered two different brands and they both appeared identical when they showed up. So, that being said I do have an extra here if you aren't able to find one at the moment.

The availability seems hit or miss, with some quick searching this is what I can find for sale right now, I'm sure there are others:

Amazon product ASIN B07CPQNWT4
As noted above, I do have an extra and am happy to just send it your way in the interest of good cruiser karma.

As noted above, I do have an extra and am happy to just send it your way in the interest of good cruiser karma.

^^^^

I wouldn't hear of it. Let's make this work for both of us. I need one, you have one sitting around. I'm going to PM you about it.

Will send you some money, I get what I need. You get rid of what you don't need. Win, Win......! 👍

Don't rob him of good cruiser karma! Just pass it on to the next person in need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom