99 LX470 simple replacement head unit....suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is the one I have in my LC. I am considering just finding a stock head unit to put in its place. I like the bluetooth, and it sounds really good. Other than that, I hate it. Even though the buttons appear to be easy to push, my success rate for changing the volume without taking my eyes off the road is about 1 in 5. It is very likely that your wife, is A) smarter than me, B) less clumsy than me, and C)not a knuckle dragger, so she might do just fine. YMMV.

It's probably none of the above. More likely its she has no compunction about taking her eyes off the road.

Ever seen a woman driving while putting on her make-up on the way to work. Well that's her.

Luckily, where we live....the only thing she is likely to hit would be a Deer, a stray farm animal or a hay bale.

It's probably none of the above. More likely its she has no compunction about taking her eyes off the road.

Ever seen a woman driving while putting on her make-up on the way to work. Well that's her.

Luckily, where we live....the only thing she is likely to hit would be a Deer, a stray farm animal or a hay bale.
My 01 unit I replaced should work.

20190213_085836.jpg

Quick questions.

I have the 22 pin connector ordered (use to build a harness for an aftermarket head unit).

22 pin connector.JPG

My questions:

How many of the the repair pigtails will I need to purchase? Is there a standard amount. Perhaps it is dictated by the needs of the head unit?

Do I just get about 20 of them?

22 pin connector pigtails.JPG

Thank You in advance.

Last edited:
This will depend a bit on your head unit, but not much. I ordered 15 so I would have one extra in case I messed one up somehow. 20 is likely way too many and not necessary, especially with the price of the repair terminals.

The basic connections will be:

Constant +12v (1)
Switched +12V (1)
Ground (1)
+ and - for each of the four audio channels (8)
Amplifier trigger (1)
Antenna trigger (1)
Illumination (1)
--------------------
TOTAL: 14

You'll want to also get something like the metra harness shown in the main how-to thread as its color-coded RCA connectors are very helpful. If not, you'd need 4 RCA connectors to use with your new head unit's pre-outs.

Did you find a good unit to order?

This will depend a bit on your head unit, but not much. I ordered 15 so I would have one extra in case I messed one up somehow. 20 is likely way too many and not necessary, especially with the price of the repair terminals.

The basic connections will be:

Constant +12v (1)
Switched +12V (1)
Ground (1)
+ and - for each of the four audio channels (8)
Amplifier trigger (1)
Antenna trigger (1)
Illumination (1)
--------------------
TOTAL: 14

You'll want to also get something like the metra harness shown in the main how-to thread as its color-coded RCA connectors are very helpful. If not, you'd need 4 RCA connectors to use with your new head unit's pre-outs.

Did you find a good unit to order?

Haven't decided on a head unit just yet. Still comparing and searching...but thank you so much for your help.

I am completely helpless when it comes to electronics. It just does not 'compute' with me. Ironic in a way since my Father was an Electronic Engineer. That gene didn't get passed onto me somehow. Appreciate everyone's patience and help.

My questions:

How many of the the repair pigtails will I need to purchase? Is there a standard amount. Perhaps it is dictated by the needs of the head unit?

Do I just get about 20 of them?

While there were 22 slots in the connector, I believe that there were only 18 active "pins". Mapping those pins to functions/connections on my Sony headunit, I came up with 13, but ended up using 14 in the actual install.

~15 should probably be plenty, and leave one or two "extras"

Last edited:
So....with my connector here....and Pigtails about to be ordered. Are there certain 'pins' that will be installed (used in every application) that I can put in the connector while I make up my mind on which aftermarket unit to purchase?

I want to keep my factory amp (I think) and radio antenna function (up and down if possible).

stereo connector.jpg

Stereo Wiring1.jpg

LX470 stereo wiring.jpg

So....with my connector here....and Pigtails about to be ordered. Are there certain 'pins' that will be installed (used in every application) that I can put in the connector while I make up my mind on which aftermarket unit to purchase?

I want to keep my factory amp (I think) and radio antenna function (up and down if possible).

View attachment 2645772
View attachment 2645773
View attachment 2645774
Yes, I'd say you can almost if not fully populate your connector since most of these connections will be pretty universal to whatever you get.

I used this great diagram @PabloCruise put together:

stereo-wiring-harness-legend-jpg.1728554

All of the connections highlighted in orange will be needed. In order for your antenna to go up and down, you'll need to have it wired in the connector, where it connects on the new head unit will depend on whether it has a separate antenna trigger wire or not. Mine didn't, so I had to tie it together with the amplifier trigger.

Don't forget to pry up the little strain relief on your new connector before you insert the pins, then snap it back down when you're done. It clamps the insulation and helps prevent the pins from being pulled back out.

Once I crimped everything together with my new head unit's harness, I also tested continuity on each wire with my multimeter to be sure everything had a good solid connection before putting it in the truck, saves lots of frustration.

Yes, I'd say you can almost if not fully populate your connector since most of these connections will be pretty universal to whatever you get.

All of the connections highlighted in orange will be needed. In order for your antenna to go up and down, you'll need to have it wired in the connector, where it connects on the new head unit will depend on whether it has a separate antenna trigger wire or not. Mine didn't, so I had to tie it together with the amplifier trigger.

Don't forget to pry up the little strain relief on your new connector before you insert the pins, then snap it back down when you're done. It clamps the insulation and helps prevent the pins from being pulled back out.

Once I crimped everything together with my new head unit's harness, I also tested continuity on each wire with my multimeter to be sure everything had a good solid connection before putting it in the truck, saves lots of frustration.

Thank you so much for the help. Was not aware of the strain relief....see it now on my connector.

SR1.jpg
SR2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the help. Was not aware of the strain relief....see it now on my connector.
No problem, I learned about those from someone else on here too. I'd never seen one like that before, Toyota...they thought of everything.

View attachment 2645772
View attachment 2645773
View attachment 2645774
Your antenna function will be modified. When the aftermarket HU powers up, your antenna will extend to the "stubby" position at minimum (higher if you left it there via the dash switch). The function to only, automatically extend the antenna while listening to the radio on the stock HU disappears.

Your antenna function will be modified. When the aftermarket HU powers up, your antenna will extend to the "stubby" position at minimum (higher if you left it there via the dash switch). The function to only, automatically extend the antenna while listening to the radio on the stock HU disappears.

That's fine. I don't need for it to fully extend automatically. I just want to be able to control it by the dash buttons and have it retract (hopefully) when the radio is turned off.

Last edited:
That's fine. I don't need for to fully extend automatically. I just want to be able to control it by the dash buttons and have it retract (hopefully) when the radio is turned off.
Yes, the way it works is whenever that antenna wire on pin 5 of the connector gets power, the antenna will extend. When power is cut, it will retract. The stock HU would power it on when selecting radio, and off when selecting any other input. Since most newer vehicles have gone away from power antennas, many aftermarket HUs don't have a separate antenna trigger wire. In that case, it usually gets wired to the amplifier trigger wire, so it will work almost exactly the same way as factory, except that it will be extended at all times the unit is on, and will retract when the unit is off, regardless if source is radio, CD, tape, etc.

I remember making that - good times!

Silly question maybe.

Can a single DIN head unit be used where a double DIN unit was before (with some type of replacement surround)?

Silly question maybe.

Can a single DIN head unit be used where a double DIN unit was before (with some type of replacement surround)?

Yes, but I'd expect a motorized screen to add potential points of failure.

Yes, but I'd expect a motorized screen to add potential points of failure.

Is there some type of insert/surround that fits around a single DIN? I'm not coming up with anything with a cursory search online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom