99 LX470 simple replacement head unit....suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My original Nakamichi had problems a few years ago, a gracious forum member sent me the one he took out of his. It worked for about a year....but now has gone tits up. (ERR3) code. No radio shops that really want to touch it.

So time to move on.

Wanting something simple. Just stereo and CD player. Preferably something I can run through the factory amp. Also something that doesn't look like it came out of a Star Wars movie. As much plug and play as is possible.

I am grossly inept when it comes to electronics and hooking them up. The Wifey just wants to be able to play her CD's on her way to work and back.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've tried looking Online but most sources state "fitment unknown" for the Lexus.

Thank You in advance,

Flint.

This is about as basic as you can get buying new: Amazon product ASIN B01FC3SEU2

I do want Double DIN but wanting something of maybe better quality. In the $300-$350.00 range or so. I don't need or want back up camera, GPS, mapping, etc....but a good quality stereo/CD that isn't all 'flashy'. We're not 16 anymore.

You open to a used unit? I also hate all the crappy disco looking stereos out there these days. If you buy used you could probably find a decent looking one for a good price. I really like Alpine but that's because their bluetooth is really good. People can hear me in my 1st gen 4Runner with the top off driving around town. If you don't care about bluetooth then you could probably get almost anything.

This is the one I went with. Not because of navigation, although I do like the backup camera. I went with it because it was the most normal looking stereo I could find. New they are like $450. I bought mine used for $300. But the sound quality is great. The other thing to consider is if you get a unit with a DVD player (again, don't care about the DVD) you have to tap into the e-brake wire otherwise there are lots of settings that you are locked out of until it "knows" you are parked.

PXL_20201122_064854543.jpg

Last edited:
Another issue is that you aren't going to get anything plug and play for the LX. There are no adapters that match up with the factory harness. You will need to make your own. Lots of great threads on here. It's pretty easy but can get pretty expensive. My harness cost $100+ because I chose to go with the Toyota repair wire to make mine and they are pricey.

I know you said you are ready to move on but I have a Nakimichi in my garage not doing anything. It's yours if you want it. The tape deck doesn't work, but the last time I used the CD player it did work, although I never got around to trying the 6-disc changer.

You open to a used unit? I also hate all the crappy disco looking stereos out there these days. If you buy used you could probably find a decent looking one for a good price. I really like Alpine but that's because their bluetooth is really good. People can hear me in my 1st gen 4Runner with the top off driving around town. If you don't care about bluetooth then you could probably get almost anything.

This is the one I went with. Not because of navigation, although I do like the backup camera. I went with it because it was the most normal looking stereo I could find. New they are like $450. I bought mine used for $300. But the sound quality is great. The other thing to consider is if you get a unit with a DVD player (again, don't care about the DVD) you have to tap into the e-brake wire otherwise there are lots of settings that you are locked out of until it "knows" you are parked.

View attachment 2634989

That's very much the look I am searching for.

No, not opposed to 'used' but prefer to find something NOS if possible.

Good suggestion, hadn't really thought of an older production unit.

Simplicity and aesthetics are important to me, I'll go without 'sound' before I stick some flashing, Disco looking crap in there.

Another issue is that you aren't going to get anything plug and play for the LX. There are no adapters that match up with the factory harness. You will need to make your own. Lots of great threads on here. It's pretty easy but can get pretty expensive. My harness cost $100+ because I chose to go with the Toyota repair wire to make mine and they are pricey.

I know you said you are ready to move on but I have a Nakimichi in my garage not doing anything. It's yours if you want it. The tape deck doesn't work, but the last time I used the CD player it did work, although I never got around to trying the 6-disc changer.

Figured there would be some adaptation required.

I greatly appreciate the kind offer....but any 6 disc Nak, is going to fail at some point, so probably not going to go that route (again) unless I can't find anything suitable.

Are you OK with a touchscreen, or do you need mostly physical buttons/knobs?

Are you OK with a touchscreen, or do you need mostly physical buttons/knobs?

Either is fine. Wifey is familiar with her latest model Iphone.....so a stereo shouldn't be an issue, except she'll complain about the fingerprints..

By all means, it's your vehicle, but I'd think carefully before I dismissed the backup camera. You'll wonder how you lived without it, especially with the tiny mirrors and high liftgate. There's a ton of kids in my neighborhood, and while I usually back in the driveway, the wife pulls in.

By all means, it's your vehicle, but I'd think carefully before I dismissed the backup camera. You'll wonder how you lived without it, especially with the tiny mirrors and high liftgate. There's a ton of kids in my neighborhood, and while I usually back in the driveway, the wife pulls in.

Different situation for us. We live on our Ranch in Rural Texas. Vehicle is driven daily to town (20 miles one way), small college town. Haven't backed into anything (with any vehicle) in the 30+ years we've here. But I can see its usefulness for others. 👍

View attachment 2634989

Can you tell me what model that is...?

I like that unit a lot.

I used Kenwood DPX303MBT Double DIN in my old CRV. It works great with all the functions I need(no touch screen). Just not sure if it fit 99 LX.

Edit, corrected model number.

I ended up going with a Pioneer DMH-2660 NEX at ~$350 brand new, also because it didn't look too flashy. This one is digital media only - it doesn't play CDs. But, there is an equivalent unit that does include a CD player if that's your format of choice, AVH-W4500NEX I think.

stereo4.jpg

This is what you'll need to make up to plug an aftermarket unit in to your 99 with Nakamichi:

stereo1.jpg

stereo2.jpg

All instructions for making this harness are detailed here, and I'm happy to answer any questions that come up as well.

Last edited:
I ended up going with a Pioneer DMH-2660 NEX at ~$350 brand new, also because it didn't look too flashy. This one is digital media only - it doesn't play CDs. But, there is an equivalent unit that does include a CD player if that's your format of choice, AVH-W4500NEX I think.

stereo4.jpg

This is what you'll need to make up to plug an aftermarket unit in to your 99 with Nakamichi:

stereo1.jpg

stereo2.jpg

All instructions for making this harness are detailed here, and I'm happy to answer any questions that come up as well.

Yes, definitely need to be able to play CD's. That would be the primary function used.

I have the connector on order already. If I am understanding this correctly, it will allow me to plug into the OEM wiring and also use the factory amp and antenna functions?

Is using the factory repair pigtails the easiest way to go (besides cost) or find the pins and a crimper and make my own?

Yes, definitely need to be able to play CD's. That would be the primary function used.

I have the connector on order already. If I am understanding this correctly, it will allow me to plug into the OEM wiring and also use the factory amp and antenna functions?

Is using the factory repair pigtails the easiest way to go (besides cost) or find the pins and a crimper and make my own?
Makes sense, I have a bunch of CDs that are now just collecting dust unless I drive my other car.

From what I've seen, everyone who has tried to order pins and a crimper haven't had success getting them to fit into the connector. They then end up having to just bite the bullet and buy the repair terminals. I just went that route from the beginning and I think it saved me a lot of time and frustration. Pricey for sure considering they're just wires, but just figure it as part of the upgrade cost and that you don't have to pay a shop to hack up your wiring and you're still ahead. Also, not all dealers will say the connector exists, if your order ends up cancelled, I'll let you know which place came through for me. I ended up just shotgunning orders after having a few cancelled.

Yes, the instructions in that thread will get you a setup that will plug directly into the truck side connector and will utilize the factory amp and antenna functions. The only functionality I lost was the antenna lowering when switching to an input other than radio (i.e. playing a CD). Since most of the newer vehicles use fixed antennas now, my Pioneer didn't have a separate antenna trigger wire, so I had to just wire it to the amp turn on trigger wire. So, the antenna goes up when the unit powers on, and stays up until it powers off regardless of whether you're listening to the radio or a CD. Not too big of a deal for me, but don't be surprised if you find that too.

I’ve ordered three factory refurbs from these guys befor and they are great. A lot of the double dins without screen are simple to use but they have a lame tron looking backlight scenario. I like pioneer and alpine for the mix of build quality, output quality, and user experience..edge for user ease experience and value to pioneer for me.

Both of the unit links above are good. I like them also because the cd slot is accessible without the screen moving (less motorized features to fail)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom