99 LX470, no crank, no start. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is a starter relay/contacts I have heard that stop working. I do not have experience with this, but I have read about them. I believe they are located near the starter, yes in that awesome location.

In the interest of saving some time I picked up a new Interstate battery and a starter relay from the local Toyota dealer. The old relay tested good but I'd rather be sure it's working.

At this point the following are new:
Starter
Starter solenoid
Starter relay
Battery

No change in symptoms with old or the new parts. I wasn't able to do a multimeter test on the starter due to its location and don't feel like taking off the intake manifold in the dark. I'm tight on time this week and need a working vehicle so I'm having it towed to the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance. I'll report back with what the dealer finds.

'Bumping' the starter (test it) when you got the new one installed, but before you put the intake back in place, would have been a good thing. We would have known you had (or didn't have) power to the starter...through the entire circuit.

To me...it still looks and sounds like a poor ground, poor connection or something going to 'dead short'. I'd start at the battery and check every single wire/cable again.

Just heard from the dealer, they found two issues.

One, the new starter I put in was apparently DOA. In testing they said it would make a humming sound but not turn.
Two, they found a short in the 12 volt cable coming from the starter relay to the starter. I'm having them put in an OEM starter and a new cable, $868 including my rental car for two days.

Should be ready for pickup tomorrow.

Thanks again to everyone for your assistance!!!!!

What brand was the starter they found to be DOA?

Bad starter brand is TYC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom