99 lx470 locker light coming on when not locked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
hey folks. i have a 1999 lx470 with a rear locker that has been frozen for some years. normally, if i turn the locker switch the light flashes but there is no noise or engagement.

recently the red locker dash light started flickering on when climbing hills or towing and it stays red after a while. the light is steady and slightly dimmer than normal light. if i turn on the locker switch while this is happening it flashes brighter over the top of the steady light.

i am pretty sure the locker is not actuating. there is no noise.

to avoid getting wet in the snow i just had the diff oil changed and the mechanic checked and reported no obvious harness damage (and no diff oil issues).

any suggestions before i get dirty removing the rust from the actuator?

Sounds like the sensor switch on the rear locker is partially shorting and weakly illuminating the dash light. The short is either inside the switch or in its harness. It seems pretty clear that the lock is not actually engaging.

The Rear Locker ECU will directly flash the dash light when the switch is turned but the locker not engaged. The brightening of the dash light is just the ECU sending a full 12V to the bulb, whereas the weak short is sending less voltage so the bulb is less bright.

Look again for wire harness damage, and/or replace the sensor switch (84222-60090) and/or service the locker mechanism as a whole.

841836D.png
8422260090.jpg

Last edited:
thanks. that makes sense. glad to hear ecu is contraindicated. the position indicator is $118 from mr. t here in the great white north. a lot cheaper online.

i will unplug the sensor at the harness plug, tape it up, zap strap it, and see if that stops the problem. if it does i will order the position sensor part from ebay.

confused as to why that p/n is specific to the locker of early 100s though. it looks like the standard mr t position sensor used in all their transfer cases. i wonder if it is just an application specific wire length.

Probably because later 100 series went to ATRAC instead of lockers?

for the 80 series you can get the equivalent switch indicators aftermarket made for 4runners and pickups for a fraction of the oem price. a common indicator sensor was used in tcases and lockers to indicate whether the cdl or locker was engaged.

in this case though the difference could well be corrosion in the harness plug so i am not going to cut and splice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom