99 LX470, considering buying (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
99 LX470, considering buying, bought it :)

I have not followed the Lexus prices(real not book) or options much, so I am looking for some help.

but here is what I found 99 LX 470, 119K on it, asking 19K. clean rig, 90K service done by local Lexus, seller said they got $2500 for the work. Color is that bronze/brown/rose color, intrerior is tan(good), not my favorite but it not bad either(better than the similar color on a cruiser). Has aftermarket chrome 16" wheels and Toyo's, wheels I HATE, does not have the stock ones, so I need to factor that into the buy. Nakamichi cd ect.

No rear diff lock, but did the Lexus get this or not? or did it get Traction controll?

the ONLY reason I am looking at this is.........its the next door neihbor to the widow that I got my green 82 fj40 from.......I was stoping by her house today when I saw the Lexus for sale RIGHT next door.............I take this as a sign I need to check out the LExus :)

Seller has bought a 2004 LX470 to replace the 99 with. Seller has had it a bit over 3 years, the 1st owner was an executive for Stapels(like Office Depot)

19K is actaully a bit below wholesale book, he had been asking 22K, not sure for how long. Think the miles are making it a hard sell.

We will be driving it sunday when the seller gets back into town

This will be for Connie, I will keep the black 2000 for myself

thanks
John

Last edited:
I’m interested in seeing the wheels. I may be interested the rims if you end up getting the rig.

No U.S. LX470 came with diff locks but it does have LSD. Traction control wasn't available till 2000. Sounds like a great deal since it has the service done.

if it's a legit 90K service, that would negate a bit the extra 30K or so...

Ah yes, I remember now, limited slip...........hmmm from what I heard in the past the LS in the Cruisers was not the best........

hoser said:
No U.S. LX470 came with diff locks but it does have LSD. Traction control wasn't available till 2000. Sounds like a great deal since it has the service done.

I'll snap some pics saturday, i am gonna drive Connie by it to see if she even likes the color.

wheels might look better if the center caps didnt stick out like 6 inchs ;)

DMX84 said:
I’m interested in seeing the wheels. I may be interested the rims if you end up getting the rig.

I suspect it is, as the seller mentioned it right off the bat, as well as how important it is to have done, but I will of course check the records

e9999 said:
if it's a legit 90K service, that would negate a bit the extra 30K or so...

Landpimp, I will PM with one I found online that you may be interested in.

Last edited:
well if you find it........let me know as that is my preference

the one I looked at was at an Enterprise Rental lot in Tacoma, they still have it.

firetruck41 said:
Landpimp, I was looking at the autotrader online yesterday, and there is a new burgundy 100 series for sale, can't remember the price but I'm thinkin it was ~$22k.

We stoped by on the way out of town today and took a quick look at it, Connie really likes it and the color, me I am actaully diggin the color now. The wife came up just as we were leaving, turns out we know the same people and a bunch of other stuff, nice gal. She got her new 2004 LX from her dad for a SMOKIN deal.

Taking it for a drive in the morning, hope she drives out nice, if so we will prolly pick it up(and then sell the 90 fj62)

few pics
102086869.jpg

102086862.jpg

102086859.jpg

OK, the wheels might be OK........but the center caps HAVE to go ASAP!
102086866.jpg

If you look at the driveway right behind the back of the LX and to the right of the Miata........that is where I found my green 82 fj40
102087346.jpg

102087356.jpg

102087350.jpg

I mean HOW wierd is that?

Any issues with the hydralic suspension?

John

Actually, that was the exact color I was looking for... never needs washing =)

People have had issues with the AHC suspension but I think it is generally pretty reliable and if it ever goes bad, you can always swap in new OME suspension.

thats what the wife said........it never shows dirt :)

Is it really that simple, if the AHC goes that you can swap to a normal OME suspension? because that would be just fine with me.

Still not sure if I want to deal with the extra do-dads on the LX vrs the Cruiser.........just more things to worry about, plus I have no lexus parts hook up like I do with Toyota

hoser said:
Actually, that was the exact color I was looking for... never needs washing =)

People have had issues with the AHC suspension but I think it is generally pretty reliable and if it ever goes bad, you can always swap in new OME suspension.

Nice color and you can pick up stock wheels on Ebay cheap. Sounds like it was meant to be.

nice potential for your collection, those center caps ............ well, what can really be said! hope it works out for you.

took her out for a drive, few items that concern me

1, brakes feel a bit different, seems like the pedal travel is more than it should be on the 1st pump. also and I need to take my 2000 out for a drive to compare, but the ABS seems different then my 2000. Also the brake work was not done at Lexus but by a local chain, at some point they only replaced one rear rotor.......I know I would have done both. But new calipers and 2 new front rotors at some point. UPDATE, took the 2000 out for a drive, the LX and the 2000 seem to work abut the same, so this is prolly a non issue

2. I think the rack and pinion might have a wee bit of a leak, it was gunky on the DS boot and the PS fluid was down a wee bit also

3. Sunroof shade is very loose, if its open and you hit the brakes it slides closed. Fix............stuff a book of matches in to stop it ;)

4. Oil presure guage peged at the top a few times, then its back to normal, I expect its a sender issue, almost sure its not a real oil presure problem.

5. Lexus repainted the hood recently for free, it seems like it was pealing off or something.

other than that stuff it seem great, perfect body, drives, rides great, AHC works fine, interior is perfect, everything works.

thestarter was replaced recently, $1300 bill from Lexus. No paper work on the 90K service but Lexus is faxing all the records monday, I KNOW its been done as the rad has the tell tale marks of squeezing the fan out ;) Few new hoses here and there, looks like maybe the controll arms have been replaced.......the washers were shiney(er)

front window was replace with non OEM at some point

All VIN stickers in place.

Steering wheel auto tilts up(when parked and the key is removed), but it does not auto telescope.....and I am not sure if its suppose to or not. No odd noises in the wheel

I liked the ride on the LX. I had to read the dang manual to figure out how to get the AHC to high...............seems that if parked and the foot on the brake for longer than 15 seconds it won't raise.........but one I figured it out it worked perfect.

So, maybe or maybe not.......

So really just the oil presure guage and the possible leak on the rack and pinion

John

Last edited:
Pimp, I’m almost afraid to as what a new rack costs. It sounds like a nice rig otherwise. However, I recall someone mentioning that the non OEM glass will bring down the price. ;)

I am now thinking its prolly nothing leaking in the rack, but its coming from up by the filter or the sender.

yeah I wasn't please with the non OEM glass ;) (all mine have OEM glass still)

DMX84 said:
Pimp, I’m almost afraid to as what a new rack costs. It sounds like a nice rig otherwise. However, I recall someone mentioning that the non OEM glass will bring down the price. ;)

pimp, my LSD has seen it's fair share of use and has provided plenty of good traction every time I've asked it too. That usage is in nice gunky red clay and mud so I'm sure my diff oil is a bit nastier on average than spec most of the time :) You may want to find out what the last codes were that popped up on the OBDII just to make sure the O2 sensors aren't shot and the computer has just been reset to hide it temporarily. That seems to be a trick that is popping up.

"Steering wheel auto tilts up(when parked and the key is removed), but it does not auto telescope.....and I am not sure if its suppose to or not. No odd noises in the wheel"
Telescoper is most likely shot. Mine does this trick now, we just ignore it. Like the one you are considering, ours never makes any noises. It died very peacefully, so I have mixed feelings about disturbing it :)

the wheels still moves up/down/in/out with the switch.........which would make me think it still works, just the auto feature not working.

I will have Connie bring the scan tool home from work monday, never used one myself though

tabraha said:
pimp, my LSD has seen it's fair share of use and has provided plenty of good traction every time I've asked it too. That usage is in nice gunky red clay and mud so I'm sure my diff oil is a bit nastier on average than spec most of the time :) You may want to find out what the last codes were that popped up on the OBDII just to make sure the O2 sensors aren't shot and the computer has just been reset to hide it temporarily. That seems to be a trick that is popping up.

"Steering wheel auto tilts up(when parked and the key is removed), but it does not auto telescope.....and I am not sure if its suppose to or not. No odd noises in the wheel"
Telescoper is most likely shot. Mine does this trick now, we just ignore it. Like the one you are considering, ours never makes any noises. It died very peacefully, so I have mixed feelings about disturbing it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom