99 LX TPS/APPS/ECU Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have ready through many of the TPS/APPS threads but most of those end after replacing the APPS, I'm not that lucky. I have a 99LX w/270K miles with the throttle dropping out issue. I have tried replacing the TPS myself, cheaper part first, but no change. Took is to my mechanic to replace the entire throttle body, still no improvement. All sensors tested within an acceptable range but the general lack of throttle continues.

I now believe I need to change the ECU. My mechanic found some tech info on a bogus board within the ECU that fails. There is some tech info on a solder repair but that is above my comfort level and beyond my wife's patients. Dealer has the replacement part for $1025, and can re-flash for ~$150. I found this site with the correct component based on my VIN and they provide the re-flash tool, on loan, for $280.

link: 1999 Lexus LX470 - 89661-60611 - ECM PCM ECU Engine Computer Programmed & Flashed

Has anybody ordered from allcomputerresources.com with good or bad luck? Anyone else have a trusted option?

I've PM'd @LonghornCruiser about his unit, but he has a 89666-60261 and I need a 89661-6061184 according the the local Lexus dealer.

I still have the ECU available if you are still looking.

Not sure of the differences between the two part numbers.

When I search, it seems the two part numbers were just produced on different dates but both show as compatible with a 99 LX. The one I have is out of a 99 LX. I tried it in my 99 LC to troubleshoot and it worked fine, but didn't solve my issue so I put the original back in. Comes with a master key, so if you are looking elsewhere make sure it has one or it will be a pain to get the immobilizer to work.

Genuine Lexus Engine Control Module - LexusPartsNow

Did you order from ACR? If you want to try it I will lend you a 89661-60610 that is flashed and ready to go. If it works we can work something out.

Edit to add:
Yes, I have ordered from ACR. I paid to have it shipped the fastest way they offer. Took 4 weeks to get it. It worked fine, but I had already solved my problem by then.

Last edited:
I reread the original post. The dealer is either trying to screw you or doesnt know that a new ecu doesnt require a reflash, it is plug and play. Once it is installed the ecu goes into programming mode. The first key used will be the first master, the second will be a master and the third will be a valet. Once 3 keys are programmed it will go out of programming mode and run normal. There is no tool required.

@Mauser I just ordered from ACR. I hope to have it to install this weekend. I'm at about 49% power currently so the issue is annoying but not dire. I was finding the same two part issue. I'm not sure if they are interchangeable but for the price I thought getting a VIN matched ECU is best.

@LonghornCruiser - thanks for letting me know on the part. I hope this is solved with only one purchase.

I'll update when I get the part installed.

Cool. I hope you get it in time.

I'm sure you know, but don't forget to unhook the battery before you install the ecu. It is also best to have 3 keys cut to register when you do.

Here is a short video I made registering keys. It may be helpful.

Any luck? Did the new ecu fix your problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom