99 LX. How Cheap To Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looked at a 99 LX. What is selling me on the 100 is the gray interior (I HATE TAN INTERIOR)
The only problem with the 99 is...no locker and its a 99 so the front diff is not the good one.

Dealer is willing to deal (I think) He dropped the the price from $19999 to $16700.
It has 94000 mi on it and had t-belt replaced.
He dropped the to "cover the cost" of a locker. I think he will go lower but do I want the 99 that bad or hold out for a 2000+ with gray interior.

How low of price does the 99 have to go to cover the cost of upgrades to cover the locker and the front diff exchange?

If you are looking to swap out (upgrade) the front diff you may as well put a locker in it at the same time. You are probably looking at the 5-6k range. Talk to Hugh at Safari in GJ and he can give you a pretty good ballpark figure.

If you are looking to swap out (upgrade) the front diff you may as well put a locker in it at the same time. You are probably looking at the 5-6k range. Talk to Hugh at Safari in GJ and he can give you a pretty good ballpark figure.

5 grand to upgrade to an air locker! I don't think that's accurate. Kurt, your looking at 1500 - 2000, depending on how much you can do of the swap. I'd imagine you'll pull your third yourself, and run the wiring to the compressor, air lines, etc.

Looked at a 99 LX. What is selling me on the 100 is the gray interior (I HATE TAN INTERIOR)
The only problem with the 99 is...no locker and its a 99 so the front diff is not the good one.

Dealer is willing to deal (I think) He dropped the the price from $19999 to $16700.
It has 94000 mi on it and had t-belt replaced.
He dropped the to "cover the cost" of a locker. I think he will go lower but do I want the 99 that bad or hold out for a 2000+ with gray interior.

How low of price does the 99 have to go to cover the cost of upgrades to cover the locker and the front diff exchange?

Remember that it's not that the diff isn't a 'good' one. Are the 1FZ-FE's not 'good' ones because of a few blown head gaskets? Point is hundreds of folks wheel their 98-99 LC's without upgrading the diff. If that LX is 100% original with no accidents and mint shape plus seeing the t-belt is done, that looks like a fair price to me.

I have been watching prices as of late. You should be able to do much better. Ebay does still have deals...start watching Also check cars, and autotrader. I have seen a few 100's south of 14k with under 90k.

5 grand to upgrade to an air locker! I don't think that's accurate. Kurt, your looking at 1500 - 2000, depending on how much you can do of the swap. I'd imagine you'll pull your third yourself, and run the wiring to the compressor, air lines, etc.

You have misinterpreted what I posted. The OP was to upgrade the front diff, and put an air locker in. My comment was that if you are swapping the front diff then go ahead and put a locker in. Two lockers, compressor, new front diff.....it is going to add up pretty fast.

As you made an assumption that the owner was going to do the work, I made the assumption that he was not...hence the reason for giving him a good point of contact in Grand Junction that does excellent Toyota work and can give him an accurate estimate.

Last edited:
I think you're in a good situation. Lots of used 100s out there and more and more parts becoming available. Sorta like when 80s became modable...

Good luck and welcome!

(This tech enough TM?)

I passed on the 99 LX.
But I still have a questions...

Is there any advantage to buying a 98 99 LX (or LC) with a rear locker and just plan on redoing the front diff when one gets around to putting a locker in the front?
Wouldn't it cheaper to go that route if you were going to install lockers in a LX???

Other than the front diff, is there any reason not to buy a 98 99 LX?

In my case, I don't like all the wood in the newer LX's and I don't like tan interior.
The 99 LX I looked at had a very min amount of wood and it didn't look that bad.
Another reason to go with the 98 99 is the price. I want to keep the price under $11,000.

With all the looking at 100's and LX's, I will only be looking at the LX's for the 98 99 2000 models as the LX's have way more to offer in options for those years.

The 98-99 LX has a limited slip differential in the rear end. I would much rather have the locker in the 98-99 LC or TRAC in the 00+ models.

I'm not sure what else the early LX models offer that you are so set on?

The 98-99 LX has a limited slip differential in the rear end. I would much rather have the locker in the 98-99 LC or TRAC in the 00+ models.

I'm not sure what else the early LX models offer that you are so set on?

x2. I've never seen a 98-99 LX for under 11 grand either. If you do find one I'd be sure to inspect it very carefully.

What do you like about the LX over the LC in 98-99?

Active Height Control Suspension and Adaptive Variable Suspension (AHC & AVS) is nice.
Both me and the wife both agree that in looking at both the LX and LC the interior of the LX is better. The LC just looks cheap.
One other thing is the smell. For some reason the LC have a repulsive smell to them, don't know why...
In my experience so far, the LC seats are not holding up well as the LX.
Just sitting in a 2001 and older LC just doesn't feel right compared to the LX but then again I have yet to see a LC with gray interior.

<<< The 98-99 LX has a limited slip differential in the rear end.>>>
Is that on the ones that don't have a rear locker?
I looked in the manual on the 99 I looked at and it showed the locker as an option.

As for price, I have a budget for this vehicle as it is a third vehicle. I will just wait for prices to fall as gas increases and the economy goes into a recession.

What are people doing with their LC's on the western slope I wonder :hmm: .... :hillbilly: + :pig: = :censor:

Not may 100's in Western Slope...All the ones I were looking at were in Denver area
mullet.gif

The most stinky were at Stevenson Toyota West "Golden?":flipoff2:

As far as I know, the 98-99 LX only has the limited slip. Does anyone here have a 98-99 LX who can refute that?

It's all about what you want. If the improved interior and AHC are worth money to you, then you should be shopping for an LX then.

Otherwise, there are great deals to be made on the LC's. I've seen some really clean trucks going for 12-14k - trucks with well under 90k miles.

Looked on Autotrader and didn't find any ones with locker switch and cheapest price was $13950.
Guess I am out of the LX market and have yet to see a LC100 that I liked.
There was a 2003 at local Toyota, check it out today (they left the doors unlocked, too bad they didn't leave the key?????) and it still looked like an old farts car, inside and out (it was gold with tan).

Its back to looking for a Unimog, Pinzgauer or maybe a LandRover. You can get a LR real cheap in the Denver area...

No US market LX470 came with a rear differential lock...

However, Canadian market LX470's DID have the rear locker option and those are importable to the US.

No US market LX470 came with a rear differential lock...

However, Canadian market LX470's DID have the rear locker option and those are importable to the US.

It is strange that the LX owners manual has the locker in it. Must be the same manual as the Canadian manual but that can't be as the Canadians are Metric.

As far as I know, the 98-99 LX only has the limited slip. Does anyone here have a 98-99 LX who can refute that?

It's all about what you want. If the improved interior and AHC are worth money to you, then you should be shopping for an LX then.

Otherwise, there are great deals to be made on the LC's. I've seen some really clean trucks going for 12-14k - trucks with well under 90k miles.

I have 99 LX and it have limited slip and center lock.

As for AHC... I like it and it does have useful variable however I find myself set to one setting most of the time. I change when on a road trip or when off-road.

I would think the decision on your purchase should not be based on AHC alone. If the LC rides to your liking around your home and on highway, then you will love it no matter what.

When I was in the market for LC or LX. I decided that I wanted either ones because both rides nice. My deciding factor was that I'll buy when I have a good deal with good low miles. Then I came across 1999 LX with clean service records sold by the owner. I snatched it up for $19.5 with 62k miles.

I'm loving it. The only I regret is a LEXUS name plate on my SUV. I live in a conservative middle class community and I do volunteer work. People in the community knows me, so when then they see me pulling in with my Lexus. They look at me funny and/or ask me how I can afford a $50k plus vehicle.

What they do not understand is that I bought it for good price. Almost the same as any used big SUVs on the market. It gets tiring when I "defend" myself.

But all else... I'm loving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom