'99 LX 470 Steering issue (what did I do incorrectly?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chin up bud! This too shall pass!

0CC55B7F-98C9-4EC7-8D50-86CB3298A72E.gif

See, what had happened was…
The dealer was the first place I took it upon driving it home from purchase from mud member. I noticed a leak. Requested they add some fluids to my ticket upon post purchase inspection since tech mentioned low fluid level. I didn’t notice the wrong fluid until it was too late. So, is it the dealers fault? Maybe. Mine. Definitely. Cause of the blow out? Unlikely. Perhaps accelerating its demise. Age, and use are likely culprits of blowout. Because I cheap’d out and got rack secondhand is why I am in this situation. Plus maybe I am missing washers. But that has yet to be detirmined due to a rain delay currently.
That really stinks, I am sorry. I can tell you once it is fixed and you can drive it you will be happy.

Thanks, @awesomeissquid. I am looking forward to the day. I am just shocked really, that it's been almost a year of wrenching at least a few full days a week in order to get this thing together. I have done many, many vehicles in my day. I have NEVER seen the amount of poorly put together half-assed work as I have seen on this thing. Now, I can include my own poor workmanship in that as well. But I am grateful to this community for helping me learn. IF it was not for you guys I would be ready to throw this thing away. I know it's not a new car, so I cannot have high expectations or expect things to function as designed. But it will happen ONE day. In the very distant future. I think my frustration comes from a lack of being able to obtain parts to try solutions and move past things as quickly as I used to. Now, what was a few-hour job now takes weeks to accomplish. Thus adding to anxiety and frustration to what ultimately amounts to simple things.

Caught a break in the rains. Busted out the sexy snorkel gear and went to work. Allegedly no more leaks.

IMG_0668[1].JPG

IMG_0677[1].JPG

IMG_0672[1].JPG

Again, new bushings, new bolts, and extra washers. 4 miles later. We might be safe to drive for another alignment.

Yes! Seems like things are finally turning in your favor.!

After some closer examination. It appears the rack is a "servicerite" Toyota value line. Basically a Cardone unit. Bushings are round and not the more oval shape thus causing them to move excessively in the rack. I cannot seem to locate the correct shape so I presume there will be excessive movement that I will continuously have to monitor as life goes on. As far as the leak goes it appears to have gone away for now. It looks like the coolant hose that runs from the back of the oil filter/cooling housing to the block has been damaged from rack movement. Some red fluid was noticed there but maybe spinoff or excess from a previous leak after I tried cleaning. Couldn't get my meat hooks in very far to wipe things down. Fingers crossed. Not real sure of the part. Maybe a 15777-50030? Please let me know if I am incorrect with this part. Thanks, everyone!

Consider aftermarket 2-peice bushings like these?
Those are the second set of bushings I used. I followed Chows ' advice, I tapered them prior to installation. However, those were still more rounded (circular) leading to my earlier suspicions of extraneous movement. (See the corners of bushings and the rack itself as they are different shapes). I think it's the design of the Cardone rack. Looks like they stamp them in a more circular and less oval design. I have large flat washers on both sides of the bushings, OEM nuts, and some blue Locktite to try and hold them in place for now. If this holds, I will just save up for an OEM rack and make Toyota/Lexus install it so as to avoid all responsibility altogether after this. I knew I should have done that in the first place but I got cheap and overconfident. Just took an additional ride of about 20 miles round trip. Still no dripping of fluid. The hose mentioned above has some weepege maybe? It is wet but not dripping. Residual fluid from the previous leak? Contact is no longer being made anywhere but again that hose is wet. I placed an order for the hose. I figure $35 bucks is worth a gamble to make sure I am not losing coolant anywhere. Keep the suggestions coming! Thank you, everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom