99 LX 470... bearing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rhodescreations.com
After a camping trip over some rough roads I noticed a noise coming from my driver's side front wheel. Thought I had a rock stuck in the brakes as the sound only seemed to present when turning and it sorta "scraped." Pulled the wheel and no rock but the grease cover was loose and essentially fell off. Looks wrong. Snap ring is doing nothing.

Had new rotors and pads installed almost exactly one year ago and have only driven the rig ~ 2500 miles in the past year.
PXL_20230604_181802651.jpg

PXL_20230604_181919972.jpg

Screenshot 2023-06-05 063022.jpg

PXL_20230604_181855480.jpg

Last edited:
Were the rotors installed by a shop that specializes in land cruisers or knows about the 100 series. If it was just a general shop there is a good chance they did not do the entire front assembly correctly. Since this occurred on one side, it would be prudent to check the other side since we can assume it will be in similar condition. Best of luck.

this groove. see last photo, of the axle... Drivers side CV help - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/drivers-side-cv-help.1105849/#post-12030957

you need to thread in a bolt in to the hole in center of axle and pull it out...M8X1.25 I think...should be in those threads I linked in above post, the groove part .... do a deep review of all those threads I linked. At the very least you'll want a new snap ring, probably size D or C, buy the kit linked below. They should NEVER be reused, which is why yours failed (or someone didn't know what they were doing when last repaired).
The snap rings (aka c-clips) are stamped with different letters ranging from B to G, largest to smallest in terms of ring thickness. Sizes correspond as follows:

B 2.8mm part #90520-31005

C 2.6mm part #90520-31006

D 2.4mm part #90520-31007

E 2.2mm part #90520-31008

F 2.0mm part #90520-31009

G 1.8mm part#90520-31010

A full set can be found here, Front Wheel Snap Ring Kit - Fits 1998-2007 IFS UZJ100/LX470 - https://cruiserteq.com/front-wheel-snap-ring-kit-fits-1998-2007-ifs-uzj100-lx470/ ,which is what I used.

Additional info:
The rings are single-use and should not be reused. Remember this if you have a 3rd party do any work that requires snap ring removal, as they will likely simply reinstall the same ring.

If you can fit a 0.2mm feeler between ring and the hub, you should go up to the next size ring, hence a good reason to buy the set above, instead of trying to chase a ring at a time.

It appears the 100 comes from the factory with E rings. As the front drivetrain experiences wear and tear over the years and miles, future rings will likely need to be thicker in size and not smaller to absorb wear of other components. If you find yourself needing an F or G ring, there maybe something going on that requires further inspection, like looking for incorrectly installed seals. Same goes for the B ring. If B ring use is required, further inspection should be done, including examining the bronze bushing in the knuckle for excessive wear.

Last edited:
Again, maybe I'm just OCD but I can't stress enough that you should review the threads in my above posts, especially the ones by @2001LC as he does numerous deep dives in to front axle/wheel bearing stuff. Even if you don't want to do the work yourself, you'll develop a clear understanding of the pieces parts in the front end, what issues can arise, and how to resolve them. At the very least you, armed with that knowledge, can screen for better mechanics or at least hopefully chase away the ones that don't want to do the work because you're more knowledgable than them and ask questions they can't answer.

Thanks. I read the thread(s) you linked and was being facetious regarding the groove. Ordered the snap ring kit (and some hoses I've been needing for the 60). The shop was not an LC or Toyota specific shop, rather a local shop down the hill that I can walk to. I have the FSM and have done some wrenching over the years but was just being lazy and didn't feel like doing my brakes. Will be pulling the other side when I have this corrected.

I made a thread about wheel bearing service as well and tried to include as many pics as I could since I'm more of a visual learner. Feel free to check it out here - Wheel Bearing Service w/Pics

Thanks for all the info. Order the clips and a set of bearing kits. Figure it's time for both no matter what. Checked maintenance records and I replaced the axles about 20k ago. So. Probable that the bearings aren't very old but at the very least the driver's side needs to be opened up. If it's as bad as I expect I'll just go ahead and tackle the other side.

On YouTube OTRAMM has a video of front brakes + wheel bearings for the 100 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom