99 Landcruiser 166000 miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! Just got a 100 series! Super clean, dealership maintained, pretty sure garage kept BUT, from the north, MA to be exact. I dont think im in urgent need of repairs bc it did pass safety inspection and Ive seen worse rust on newer vehicles but always open to advice though the comfort of affirmation is always nice.
Plan on taking this build slow, finishing it by retirement (15 years) but along the way I want it capable enough to take the family of 5 total on some decent adventures while Im living in VA. Maybe a beginner weekend to weeklong along an Appalachian trail where I can pull a tear drop or pop up tent that I can rent. Suggestions on sites where I can take my stock cruiser?
The build I want is pretty standard, OME suspension, dual battery, extended fuel tank, ARB bumpers, maybe pull a tear drop and get a rooftop tent when I retire. I want new wheels but I want the fitment as close to OEM as possible. Is it better to stick with the stock rims and get AT tires bc I did find someone selling a stock set for super cheap? Im looking more for toughness and durability rather than ultimate capability. Well here she is still not registered.

20200628_154957.jpg

20200628_155101.jpg

20200628_155132.jpg

20200628_155216.jpg

20200628_155157.jpg

So is that linex undercoat deal worth it? Or will it continue to eat away underneath the undercoat?

thought it looked familiar.
Linex will be worth it so long as you remove and rust that is already down there

edit; re: tires. I am on a budget and ended up finding some tundra 18" take offs. Ideally i'd have the 16" rims with 33's but beggars can't be choosers. I would think the tundra wheels are just as heavy duty as cruiser wheels.

In terms of what you want it to be able to do, it can already do that and much more.

A set of good all terrains in the stock size, a bit of recovery gear, and some preventative maintenance and you'll be set.

I'd hit the rust spots with rust neutralizer repeatedly for the next few months. When you see it stop rusting through the neutralizer, spray it with some matte black spray paint before doing some fluid film or similar.

I'd lean towards not using rubberized undercoating. Water and corrosion seem to find a way under it and it can make it look like you're covering up rust that is worse than it really is if you choose to sell.

Last edited:
In terms of what you want it to be able to do, it can already do that and much more.

A set of good all terrains in the stock size, a bit of recovery gear, and some preventative maintenance and you'll be set.

I'd hit the rust spots with rust neutralizer repeatedly for the next few months. When you see it stop rusting through the neutralizer, spray it with some matte black spray paint before doing some fluid film or similar.

I'd lean towards not using rubberized undercoating. Water and corrosion seem to find a way under it and it can make it look like you're covering up rust that is worse than it really is if you choose to sell.
I started scrubbing some spots using a wire brush with evapo rust but was thinking of buying permatex rust treatment for the areas I cant scrub. Is that a neutralizer you would recommend? And all you have to do is spray it on rusty areas?

I started scrubbing some spots using a wire brush with evapo rust but was thinking of buying permatex rust treatment for the areas I cant scrub. Is that a neutralizer you would recommend? And all you have to do is spray it on rusty areas?

You want to scrub it as much as possible to remove flakes and then spray away. We don't see a lot of rust here, but I had an FJ from the Midwest and the neutralizer slowed the rust down considerably. I don't remember using any specific product.

In terms of effort to return, I think scrubbing off loose rust, spraying with neutralizer a few times over the summer, and coating in the fall with a some kind of oil coating is the easiest way to go and slows the spread down as much as can be expected.

You can spend considerable time wire wheeling and brushing it all off though, at which point I'd recommend an iron oxide primer (with respirator) followed with either matte black farm implement paint or por 15. This will be 10x the effort and may remove a lot of metal, so you have to balance that with how much you want to stop the current rust in it's tracks.

You want to scrub it as much as possible to remove flakes and then spray away. We don't see a lot of rust here, but I had an FJ from the Midwest and the neutralizer slowed the rust down considerably. I don't remember using any specific product.

In terms of effort to return, I think scrubbing off loose rust, spraying with neutralizer a few times over the summer, and coating in the fall with a some kind of oil coating is the easiest way to go and slows the spread down as much as can be expected.

You can spend considerable time wire wheeling and brushing it all off though, at which point I'd recommend an iron oxide primer (with respirator) followed with either matte black farm implement paint or por 15. This will be 10x the effort and may remove a lot of metal, so you have to balance that with how much you want to stop the current rust in it's tracks.

I stupidily overlooked a rust spot on the frame. How much would this cost to repair?

15937292418464816389269235202695.jpg

Cleaner than my '99 and its been a VA truck all its life.
Where in VA Are you ?
My dumbass overlooked this part. How bad is this and how much do you think it cost to repair? Can a place get in trouble for passing this in a safety inspection?

20200702_211300.jpg

My dumbass overlooked this part. How bad is this and how much do you think it cost to repair? Can a place get in trouble for passing this in a safety inspection?

View attachment 2359954
Could you knock the rust back and then weld in a piece of steel. Maybe a sandblast would be best for that rust, pull the wheel off and protect anything else.

Actually don't mind that colour, needs another strong colour to get the most out of it. Maybe darker black bumpers I feel, with big tyres would look sick :)

Yeah if someone reported the place that passed it or if you're in a wreck due to it they can get cooked over that theoretically...
Best bet is to clean all the rust, have someone patch weld it and then paint a few coats of krylon on there
Cost i'm not sure, i'm not a welder. Maybe $200?

I think it’s interesting some states have a visual inspection and others don’t. Pretty sure we got rusty piles WAY worse than this rolling around Illinois all day everyday and it’s perfectly legal.

You would probably want to bring it back to here. Could be compromising the chassis to a degree
1593743932583.png

You would probably want to bring it back to here. Could be compromising the chassis to a degree
View attachment 2360034
I was stressing when the hole started getting bigger. Feeling a bit relieved now. As long as this thing can get repaired at a decent price. I dont even have this car registered yet bc dmv here is appointment only now.

Could you knock the rust back and then weld in a piece of steel. Maybe a sandblast would be best for that rust, pull the wheel off and protect anything else.

Actually don't mind that colour, needs another strong colour to get the most out of it. Maybe darker black bumpers I feel, with big tyres would look sick :)
I really love the color. Planning on blacking out the grill, wheels, and emblems. As long as this car can be baselined to be safe for my fam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom