99 Land Cruiser Rear diff fuse problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some help guys!
Just dropped off the 99 Cruiser at the Toyota dealer this morning and the rear diff and ABS lights are on and wont go off....

Saturday I was towing a boat (have towed it multiple time with no problems) and after getting gas and heading back onto the highway I noticed the Rear Diff and ABS lights were on. Looked at the manual to understand the ABS light will always come on when the rear diff is activated. Problem is I was in 4H and the rear diff switch wat definately off. Proceeded down the road and the lights went off and on one more time. As I got off the highway and had my blinker on and hit the brakes the AC switches were blinking and the indicator light for being in "drive" was diming. Went boating and them returned home.... Next day light was still on and made appointment to have it looked at. That night started to wonder about a fuse being out and sure enought the 20 Amp fuse for the rear diff was blown. Thought I was in the clear until I switched it out to have it blow again right away....booo hooo!!!!! The dealer now has the Cruiser and in 4 hours they havent figureed out anything. WTF!!!

Let me know what you think, THANKS!!!!
Mike

If the switch is off and the fuse is blown then the diff is probably not locked; that's the good news! Let me get straight what was actually blinking at the end of the drive from the ramp:

Rear diff light on
ABS light on
AC switch blinking - which lights for the AC?
Drive (D) light dimming

If all that is going bananas I would wonder if the dealer would want to change the ECU? On the other hand the fuse for the diff lock blowing is peculiar too.

Let us know what the dealer says. Definitely strange stuff.

got a line on the problem...

The dealer called back after about 5 hours....said they had actually looked at it for 1.5 hours. There is part of the wire harness routed close to the exhaust as it leaves the differential actuator and it had melted together (makes sense). Here is the other factor that came into play... the exhaust has a hole in it (not too happy the LC has suck a piece of junk stock muffler) and I had ordered a Borla system about 1 month ago... I also called Borla and was told it would not even be made until, at best, mid-August.

So thats my story and why the weird stuff was happening. The dealer charged me $120 something for the 1.5 hours it took them to notice the harness was melted. They wanted $400 to replace it and the part is only $91...I figured save $100 or so and replace it myself. Dropped the spare tire tonight and traced the harness from the diff actuator to each rear wheel (i guess for the ABS in the rear) and up to the back rear corner. Doesnt look too bad and hopefully the harness comes with the plastic pieces to snap it into the body and frame.

Thanks for the response!

Mike

99 Land Cruiser / 02 Taco Xtra cab supercharged TRD 4X4

That's pretty wild. The dealer did good tracking that gremlin down! Performance Products or one of the other big boys doesn't have the Borla system in stock?

Tad,
I actually bought the exhaust thru Performance Products and then called Borla directly... Talked to some guy there who was in charge of sales for the US (so he said). He basically said they are so far behind in production that another run of Land Cruiser/LX exhaust systems wasnt even scheduled on the first two weeks of August! I told him I would send a case of beer and it didnt help either. He said they have 22 requests for the system currently in the US. I guess they are producing things that are bought more often right now and trying to get caught up. They need more PEOPLE!!!

Got the new harness today and havent tried to install yet. Hopefully I can route it differently to avoid it melting again... Probably will wrap it with some kind of discount muffle duct tape. Should help.

Thanks again for the help.

Same problem

I am having the same problem--any idea what the harness part number is? Did the self-install go well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom